Kudos: 5

Re: Guest portal voucher device "has become unauthorized" repeat messages

I up[graded the switches and now the problem is back.  Arghh!!  I forgot and re-adopted the router, reset the cloud key to defaults then restored from a backup and still getting the flood of unauthorized messages.  

Currently running .

11.10 Cloud Key Firmware

5.9.22 Controller

4.2.6 Router

3.9.48.9248 switches/AP's

Other thing I notice is that while it is capturing DPI stats, if I go to the "Apps" view it shows as 0 users for each category. 

Thoughts??

0 users.JPG
Kudos: 125
Solutions: 9

If 4.2.6 is your USG version that is a big problem.  I'm running 4.4.18 and 4.4.22 at my sites w/ 5.7.x and 5.8.x (and of course have this horridly annoying guest has become unauthorized problem).

I was sooooo looking forward to migrating to 5.9.x when it becomes released as stable...  and now this Man Sad

I know that at least on my setups the problem stems from the USG.  The USG will keep informing over and over and over that a guest has become unauthorized and it triggers an event each time.   IMHO the USG software is where the fix will need to be made -- it needs to stop doing this.  All of the other equipment (APs, USW, and controller) do not have this inform over and over problem.

To make detection of the problem easy, I login with cloud interface, look at the "Devices" page and the USG will be updating it's "uptime" column every second when this is happening.  Normally the uptime only updates about once per minute.  I then click on "Events" and it takes a while to show them -- it will show which guests are causing the events by device name.  Click on the guest in the event log and then block the guest and the bleeding will stop.

Usually after a couple of days -- worst case 6 days, you can unblock the guests that caused the issues.

Usually you can also reboot the gateway and then unblock right away...  I don't want to interrupt my network.

If the number of events gets up towards 400,000 then you start to get into mongod overload area...  

I found that each day it honors the retention setting of 1 day and will clear several events.  If you are lucky and don't get too many guest unauthorized spam over the course of a few days, you event count goes down quite well.

They **** REALLY **** need to understand this issue and FIX IT.  It is a nightmare for people who use the portal.

I guess us portal users are in the minority so we get no priority for fixes....  

That also need to update the Stripe backend to use thet newer API that doesn't require lowering the security settings at Stripe.  That is another area where we probably don't get the priority.

I'm not a huge customer but have spend many thousands on UBNT gear between Airamx, Unifi, and Unifi-video.  Really need some things fixed in return here.

@firefi wrote:

If 4.2.6 is your USG version that is a big problem.  I'm running 4.4.18 and 4.4.22 at my sites w/ 5.7.x and 5.8.x (and of course have this horridly annoying guest has become unauthorized problem).

I was sooooo looking forward to migrating to 5.9.x when it becomes released as stable...  and now this Man Sad

I know that at least on my setups the problem stems from the USG.  The USG will keep informing over and over and over that a guest has become unauthorized and it triggers an event each time.   IMHO the USG software is where the fix will need to be made -- it needs to stop doing this.  All of the other equipment (APs, USW, and controller) do not have this inform over and over problem.

To make detection of the problem easy, I login with cloud interface, look at the "Devices" page and the USG will be updating it's "uptime" column every second when this is happening.  Normally the uptime only updates about once per minute.  I then click on "Events" and it takes a while to show them -- it will show which guests are causing the events by device name.  Click on the guest in the event log and then block the guest and the bleeding will stop.

Usually after a couple of days -- worst case 6 days, you can unblock the guests that caused the issues.

Usually you can also reboot the gateway and then unblock right away...  I don't want to interrupt my network.

If the number of events gets up towards 400,000 then you start to get into mongod overload area...  

I found that each day it honors the retention setting of 1 day and will clear several events.  If you are lucky and don't get too many guest unauthorized spam over the course of a few days, you event count goes down quite well.

They **** REALLY **** need to understand this issue and FIX IT.  It is a nightmare for people who use the portal.

I guess us portal users are in the minority so we get no priority for fixes....  

That also need to update the Stripe backend to use thet newer API that doesn't require lowering the security settings at Stripe.  That is another area where we probably don't get the priority.

I'm not a huge customer but have spend many thousands on UBNT gear between Airamx, Unifi, and Unifi-video.  Really need some things fixed in return here.

@UBNT-DavidS paging David from the Routing/Switching group.  I know this isn't your area, but can you please find out if this problem is a known but amongst your developers.  As my post mentions above, I'm pretty convinced the issue lies somewhere in the USG software.  I asked the support person I was working with if they new if this was a known bug amongst developers or not and they never gave me a straight answer (which was very frustrating as I asked several times -- a simple yes or no would have been fine).

I would like to know if there is some future maintenance release of 5.8.x or the latest 5.9.x that this problem is known to be fixed in.  I will then work out a plan to get all of my stuff upgraded.

Thanks David.  Sorry to bug you over here but you have been very helpful to me in the past and I appreciate it!

The router firmware might be contributing to it, but it first started happening when I upgraded the switch firmware a couple of weeks ago.  Once I downgraded it I got my DPI and event logs back but then the barrage of unauthorized user events.  Whatever it's a huge pain in the ass and I sure wish SOMEBODY over at Ubiquiti would make it some sort of priority like they did resolving the DNS issue with the Cloud Key firmware!  

It doesn't seem to cause a lot of operational problems but does slow everything down and with 30000 useless event entries it's kind of hard to sift through to the ones that actually might mean something...

Yes same problem here still. I just upgraded to 

5.8.28 controller

4.4.26.5102846 USG

3.9.45.9203 for switches and access points

I was hopeful that this would resolve some of the issue but it has NOT. This is becoming a real issue because I have other clients that want installations but I don't feel comfortable installing new equipment. Especially the selling point to them was the built in captive portal for guest authorization. I am now rebooting sites daily in hopes of keeping my clients happy and functional but it is frustrating to say the least to wake up every morning early and reboot the USG (which by the way has been working). I was rebooting the cloud key but the USG appears to be the one to reboot to get the problem to go away. If anyone has any further insight I would really like some info at all. I have repeatedly followed up with Ubiquiti but have not got a single answer other than it is escalated to tier 3 with no further information. I really want to keep using this product but I may have to forgo this product and use something like packet fence.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 181
Solutions: 7

Hi @firefi,

Thanks for the page here.

I will check with our developers on this and get back to you on this.

Thanks,

David S

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

FREE UBRSS Student Guide-Great Intro to Routing & Switching!

Having connectivity issues? See: UniFi Debugging Intermittent Connectivity Issues on your UAP

Learn How to Establish a Connection Using SSH Here

@UBNT-DavidS wrote:

Hi @firefi,

Thanks for the page here.

I will check with our developers on this and get back to you on this.

Thanks,

David S

Hi David -- it's been a couple of days.  Any luck finding anything out?

Especially curious if the USG is the source of the issue as I believe that is more your area (routing/switching).

USG is always the one firing informs at the controller that cause an event log.   If the USG didn't do that, we'd be good to go!

Blocked clients stop the bleeding.

Also a reboot of the USG usually clears these.

Some of us use the prune script to clear events.  I set my retention settings to the minimum and usually the built in pruning clears things out (it's a bummer the event retention can't be set below 7 days -- that would help).

I also do settings only backups every night at 3:00 a.m. just in case if mongod fills up and the manual db recovery fails... last resort is to restore from previous day's backup on the SD card.

Cheers.

Kudos: 221
Solutions: 5

Just another observation on this -- In our case, we suspect that this behavior is drectly contributing to reports by guests that they are not able to load the guest portal page.  Either they are not redirected, or the page simply does not load.  Seems that when this occurs, the device in question is typically among those which are repored as unauthorized ad infinitum.

This doesn't seem to affect all devices, even those of similar make and model, but it does seem persistent across individual devices:  If a device becomes unauthorized, it may not load the portal again so long as this is continuing.

We've had to go so far as to disable the portal entirely at our sites to alleviate the support load.

I've been using a "shotgun" approach to trying to get this problem resolved and something finally seems to have worked!  Not sure which update fixed it but I applied all of the most recent stable candidates from the Beta Forum and so far so good!  The affected site is running:

USG 3:                              v4.4.27

USW-8's  and USW-16:     v3.9.49.9260

UAP LR's:                          v3.9.49.9260

CloudKey:                          v0.11.10 FW/v5.9.24Controller

Will keep an eye on the site and make sure it holds but cautiously optimistic it's resolved!

@sbbii wrote:

I've been using a "shotgun" approach to trying to get this problem resolved and something finally seems to have worked!  Not sure which update fixed it but I applied all of the most recent stable candidates from the Beta Forum and so far so good!  The affected site is running:

USG 3:                              v4.4.27

USW-8's  and USW-16:     v3.9.49.9260

UAP LR's:                          v3.9.49.9260

CloudKey:                          v0.11.10 FW/v5.9.24Controller

Will keep an eye on the site and make sure it holds but cautiously optimistic it's resolved!

Thanks for sharing!  I'm convinced it is something in the gateway -- in my case it is always the gateway doing cyclic informs of guests becoming unauthorized.  A gateway reboot fixes it and when I can't reboot blocking the client works.  Unless it is somehow how the controller consumes the inform that causes the cyclic behavior, it must be the gateway.  When an inform comes into the controller, I don't think the controller sends anything back to the device that informed -- it just consumes it and moves on.  If that is true, then it HAS to be the gateway software.

The thing that is a bummer is that the release post for 4.4.27 doesn't say anything about a fix that would be related to this issue.

If you end up with success I'll try my home gateway followed by one of my closer sites and see what happens.

Cheers

Giving @UBNT-DavidS one more page -- sorry to pry!

Did you find out anything?  Having high hopes that 4.4.27 gateway software may have fixed this issue.

Ubiquiti Employee

Hi @firefi

I'm waiting on another update from our developers on this. I should have some more information later on today / tomrorow.

Sorry for the holdup!

Thanks,

David S

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Having connectivity issues? See: UniFi Debugging Intermittent Connectivity Issues on your UAP

Well it looks like I got a little ahead of myself.  They're baaaackkk...   D'oh!!!

unauthorized.JPG

Bummer!

We'll see what David from the routing/switching group has to say.  I'm glad he's looking into it.

Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

Hi @firefi,

I've looked into this and we are in fact working to resolve this issue and it is not fixed in 4.4.27.

It seems that a reboot can temporarily stop it from being a problem,  because the deauthed clients are usually no longer online at the time the problem is occurring, and the data being sent to the USG-> Controller that causes the deauth flood alert notice is wiped by a reboot.

Thanks,

David S

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

@UBNT-DavidS wrote:

Hi @firefi,

I've looked into this and we are in fact working to resolve this issue and it is not fixed in 4.4.27.

It seems that a reboot can temporarily stop it from being a problem,  because the deauthed clients are usually no longer online at the time the problem is occurring, and the data being sent to the USG-> Controller that causes the deauth flood alert notice is wiped by a reboot.

Thanks,

David S

Thanks so much David!  This is exactly what I suspected.

I think I can speak for a bunch of us that a 4.4.X point release eventually as stable for the USG would be an ideal solution.

I prefer not to reboot my USGs and go with the approach of blocking the clients that cause the flood and then usually after a day or two I can unblock those and the flooding doesn't happen.  It's clear to me that block list that get sent from controller to USG and all of the APs causes the flood issue in the USG to stop -- not a bad workaround when you can't reboot the USG.  Most of the time the de-authed client is not long around at the site.

Cheers.  And thank you again!  Looking forward to a USG release in the future with this fix.

If 5.9.x controller goes stable by then I could probably handle an even newer USG if that's how they want to go about releasing.  I think I've seend 4.5.X devel or beta USG software over in the beta area.  4.4.X point release would still be best for me anywa.

Kudos: 17
Solutions: 4

[ Edited ]

Hey guys,

I can also report this issue. On my camping Hotspot we can notice some more problems, when clients become unauthorized. I am not really sure, but this seems to be affected from mongo db problems appearing when to many messsages are there.:

- in case of flooding messages, the latency goes massiv up (screenshot, around this time a client becomes unauthorized)

- the controller 5.8.23 has graph line cutouts (blank) for download and upload throughput & latency although with mouse over I see data. 

Really a big problem, on weekends we have often many users getting unauthorized, the hole messages board is unusable of these massive amount of messages. The unifi controller is running on ubuntu 16.04. I see no memory space problem. The controller has massiv write and Network activity to the Proxmox host hosting the unifi controller.

Both screenshots have nearly the same time line. 

I am really afraid that this issue is a ssd and mongodb killer :-( 

best regards
Torsten

unauthorized activity.JPG
Latency Problem.JPG
Kudos: 17
Solutions: 4

by the way, this is happening also, when devices connected. 

best regards
Torsten

has connected.JPG

@TVT73 wrote:

Hey guys,

I can also report this issue. On my camping Hotspot we can notice some more problems, when clients become unauthorized. I am not really sure, but this seems to be affected from mongo db problems appearing when to many messsages are there.:

- in case of flooding messages, the latency goes massiv up (screenshot, around this time a client becomes unauthorized)

- the controller 5.8.23 has graph line cutouts (blank) for download and upload throughput & latency although with mouse over I see data. 

Really a big problem, on weekends we have often many users getting unauthorized, the hole messages board is unusable of these massive amount of messages. The unifi controller is running on ubuntu 16.04. I see no memory space problem. The controller has massiv write and Network activity to the Proxmox host hosting the unifi controller.

Both screenshots have nearly the same time line. 

I am really afraid that this issue is a ssd and mongodb killer :-( 

I agree -- I just replaced a cloud key that developed bad sectors on the /srv partition and I would bet all of the exercising of the flash from this problem is what lead to this.  Several times I've had to block clients to stop the bleeding and monitor it every day (real PITA).  It is worse at my campgrounds too on weekends because a lot of people do our "free trial" for 1 hour and they become unauthorized and the USG spams the controller.  Cloudkey kills itself with all of the database writes...  thousands and thousands of events, mongod tables filled up.

@UBNT-DavidS any update on if they can get this bugfix into a point release for the USG -- such as 4.4.X where X is something newer than 4.4.27 perhaps (I think that was the latest stable candidtate).  It seems 4.5.X won't be stablizing for a while if I read things right in the beta area...

Could REALLY REALLY use a fix for this.  My sites that are affected the most I will probably replace the cloud keys as preventive measures once this issue is fixed...  The one that had the flash fail was terrible, but I was able to get the previous night's settings only backup from auto backup on the SD card and prepared a drop in replacement that I shipped to them... phew that saved a 3 hour drive.

Thanks!

Ubiquiti Employee

Hi @firefi

Thanks for the page.

We are working on a resolution for this but at the time of this post, i do not have an ETA for the Fix. 

I will follow up with our team closer to the EOW and see if there is an update on this.

Thanks,

David S

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png