Kudos: 126
Solutions: 9

Re: Guest portal voucher device "has become unauthorized" repeat messages

I just found out from the facebook group this has been FIXED in USG firmware 4.4.28

Finally!

Here is the specific item in the release notes -- my sites use the traffic shaping which implicitly disables hardware offload, and you get this problem.  I've heard it's been confirmed fixed too.

• Guest control authenticated status reporting fixed where hardware offload disabled. This was the cause of non-stop guest deauthentication with offload disabled in all previous versions

Fantastic.

Has anyone tried this in this thread yet? I am super hopeful that this is a solution. I haven't been able to get the downtime approved to install the new firmware and am hoping to hear from someone that has had a chance to load it. Fingers crossed! Thanks so much for the update!

Kudos: 222
Solutions: 5

Just an update: We had this recur on a 4.4.28 host. One caveat -- we did not perform the second reboot as suggested in the release notes. We're back to running with the portal disabled until a maintenance window, we'll see again once the reboot occurs.
Kudos: 5

[ Edited ]

After reading @firefi’s post on 4.4.28 I gave it a shot and unfortunately the problem still persists.  I think I’ve become a little too cavalier with deploying beta code at my client sites over the past couple of years so I need to take a step back and perform a little more due diligence prior to trying to bring new releases into production.  Up until now I’ve gotten away with it but 5.9.2x controller/4.4.2x router firmware has become a huge pain in the ass!!  

Between having to find a time to remotely reboot the routers daily and keeping my fingers crossed that they come back up (and rushing to a remote location when they don’t) rolling back to LTS releases is looking better and better!  That said I will keep an eye on the forums and revisit 5.9.x / 4.4.x once the developers have the time to address the known problems that have been out there for a while...

Will be looking for any updates from @UBNT-DavidS on the status from the developers!

@sbbii wrote:

After reading @firefi’s post on 4.4.28 I gave it a shot and unfortunately the problem still persists.  I think I’ve become a little too cavalier with deploying beta code at my client sites over the past couple of years so I need to take a step back and perform a little more due diligence prior to trying to bring new releases into production.  Up until now I’ve gotten away with it but 5.9.2x controller/4.4.2x router firmware has become a huge pain in the ass!!  

Between having to find a time to remotely reboot the routers daily and keeping my fingers crossed that they come back up (and rushing to a remote location when they don’t) rolling back to LTS releases is looking better and better!  That said I will keep an eye on the forums and revisit 5.9.x / 4.4.x once the developers have the time to address the known problems that have been out there for a while...

Will be looking for any updates from @UBNT-DavidS on the status from the developers!

I need a moment...  I think I'm gonna cry.

On a serious note I've been avoiding 4.4.28 because there has been a rash of reported issues on the FB group and what I've seen here.  I'm thinking another point release will be coming to shore up problems.  They went to a new linux kernel -- big change there IMHO.  Interesting to learn that the Guest deauth thrashing is tied to haveing offload disabled -- which I do since I need the smart queues to manage bandwidth at my sites.  Maybe this could be a workaround?  Disable smart queues if you have them and make sure hardware offload is enabled?  I think in some newer version the hardware offload and DPI play well together so you have best of both worlds.  I MUST have the smart queues, so still waiting for a viable USG update to kill this problem!

Kudos: 17
Solutions: 4

With Controller 5.8.30 it's still unsolved. 

best regards
Torsten

@TVT73 wrote:

With Controller 5.8.30 it's still unsolved. 

It is exclusively a USG issue.  Hopefully once they stabilize 4.4.28 w/ a new point release (there have been a lot of odd problems even though this is considered stable) they can also get this fixed properly.  I would be happy even if it happened less often if it's not fixed completely...

Cheers.

ah, okay.

I thought it comes from the controller.

When I notice the graph glitches or cutouts I compact the database, this usually helps.

But this is only a poor workaround.

best regards
Torsten

since tonight my usg 4p is running on 4.4.29 but it´s still present. I have 30 messages for one device getting unauthorized.

I can´t understand, why this is not fixed yet.

best regards
Torsten

I believe @UBNT-cmb asked for an mca-dump log from the USG that someone reported on the 4.4.29 release post who was having this issue.  Hopefully that will lead to getting this actually fixed in next 4.4.x point release!

I am hoping I just booked two more installs. Couldn't hold off anymore, hopefully we will have something. I wonder if I can invoice ubiquiti for all the long distance resets LOL

Kudos: 14
Solutions: 1

any update on this? 

im on 5.9.28 and USG 4.4.29

still getting the issue

Emerging Member
Kudos: 12
Solutions: 3

Hi,

i’m seeing this as well, currently testing 5.9.29 with 4.4.32dev on a USG4.

controller became unresponsive and database repair and pruning script brought it back to live but after a day the issue is back.

A stable solution would really be greatly appreciated.

KR

/r

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

5.9.29 and 4.4.29 I have this issue, but:

It seems this happens when device becomes unauthorized in guest portal and still has DHCP lease active on USG. And USG CPU utilization goes up about 50% during this period. After DHCP lease is gone, things returns to normal.

Brooklyn Red Hook church wifi, 110/12 mbps, USG 3P, 2xAC-PRO (wire) + 3xAC-LR (wire) + 1xAC-Lite (wire) + 2xAC-LR (wireless uplink)

[ Edited ]

@Kisch

How bad is this? You are right! This is the answer for my strange behavior of usg 4p utilization. Although nothing is going on, (I thought) I sometimes see a utilization for 50-90% with low traffik. I couldn´t find a reason, but you got it.

This is a big point!

My lease time is default by 86400s like 24h, so it´s it doesn´t go down with lease time, but I can see an upgoing utilization on this times a guest become unauthorized messsages.

And another anoying message flooding point is the MAC Adress has connected / disconnected to LAN Managment. 

these log messages are many hundred times a day. We suggest these are fake MAX Adresses from devices connection to the open wireless guest portal.

best regards
Torsten

disconnected.JPG

@UBNT-davisIt´s nearly 2 month ago. Is there nothing new for us? Can you please add the information to the developer team?

Especially the new cpu utilization regression is an important point for fixing these unnecessary message logs

best regards
Torsten

Emerging Member
Kudos: 12

Tried to reboot the USG yesterday, this is just a temporary measure to break the loop. Had again 39000 log entries from just one client becoming unauthorised in the last day. The site in question is a small sports stadium - at the moment there is only little activity there but in case of a competition with many more clients using the network the CK and mongo will become overloaded again.

USG4 with 4.4.32dev (testing desperately even dev versions) and CK with 5.9.29. Any recommendation of a safe USG Firmware I could downgrade to where the problem is not seen?

kr

/r

The page for David was mis-spelled so trying again here.

@UBNT-DavidS there is some new information here -- the log spamming occurs throughout the duration of the DHCP lease.  This is explains why my old strategy of just waitning for it to stop when I couldn't afford to reboot the USG would work.  Problem is it wears out the flash on cloud keys.

There is a lot of pain here and it is difficult to test this to know if the problem is gone -- I have sites that never see it that are light load and heavier sites that see it often, but I cannot use the heavier site as a test bed or customers will be beyond annoyed.

I'm planning on doing a stadium style deployment with a large client count and cannot afford to have this issue present when setting that up.  

Any word from the developers as to when a point release w/ a proper fix for this in 4.4.x will be coming out.  I realize there are a lot of other issues being worked -- perhaps due to the kernel update and other major changes, but this one is a big issue for many of us and it's gone on for months and months.

[ Edited ]

Any workarounds for this issue besides blocking the problem clients?  I just ran into it for the first time setting this up for a client. Rebooting does not seem to help.  I am on 3.9.27 for the APs/Switches and 4.4.22 on the USG.  I am using DHCP relay to internal DHCP servers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does upgrading to 4.4.28 or 4.4.29 and keeping hardware offload disabled fix this at all?  I can live without IDS/IPS until it gets fixed.

Thanks

@adjennin wrote:

Any workarounds for this issue besides blocking the problem clients?  I just ran into it for the first time setting this up for a client. Rebooting does not seem to help.  I am on 3.9.27 for the APs/Switches and 4.4.22 on the USG.  I am using DHCP relay to internal DHCP servers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does upgrading to 4.4.28 or 4.4.29 and keeping hardware offload disabled fix this at all?  I can live without IDS/IPS until it gets fixed.

Thanks

I have the same exact setup at my locations -- upgraded around April this past year and 3.9.27 and 4.4.18 or 4.4.22 were the versions that were stable then.

I have DPI turned on and IPS/IDS turned off, but also I have "Smart Queuing" turned on on my USGs and I believe that causes hardware offload to be disabled automatically.  With these settings I still have the problem.

I have not tried explicitly disabling DPI and hardware offload w/ Smart Queues enabled, but as I said I believe Smart Queues override these.  I know in 4.4.18 you could not have DPI and smart queues together and 4.4.22 I don't see any interesting stats that DPI usually gives you.  Pretty sure hardware offload is off because with a USG 3 you can only do about 50 Mbps down with Smart Queues active.  This is why one site I upgrade to a USG-PRO-4 to get smart queues up to 200 Mbps.

I'm really hopeful that by the time winter is over here in the northeast this is resolved and I can move everything forward to latest AP firmware, USG, and controller.  Will probably switch to all Cloud key Gen2 or Gen2+ at these sites especailly since the thrashing from the problem on this thread has killed the flash on one already and my remaining gen 1 cloudkeys are time bombs waiting to go off now.

On the Airmax side of things it's been great -- the 6.x.x firmware on M series and latest AirOS 8 on AC series gear has made all link dropout issues from last summer go away.  So last summer was airmax woes, this summer is unifi woes, next summer can we have everything just work?