Re: Guest portal voucher device "has become unauthorized" repeat messages

Thanks for the information.  I am also currently also on 3.9.27 and 4.4.22.  Sure enough, turning off IPS/Smart Queues caused the problems to go away.  As soon as I turn it back on, it breaks again.  I am tempted to try 4.28 or 4.29 to see if I get the same result since the 4.28 bugfix seems to indicate this issue is resolved. 

I also set the guest portal expiration to 24 hours, the external portal session to 24 hours, and dhcp lease time to 12 hours with a max of 24 hours to ensure leases expire at or before the portal session expires.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 165
Solutions: 45

@firefi  ..  @UBNT-DavidS  wanted me to reach out to you about your dhcp alerts.  

I will be reaching out to you per PM.

Thanks,

Jeff

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Team
"I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only make them think." - Socrates

Kudos: 17
Solutions: 4

I am sure, smart queue is not responsible for it. I havn´t activated these feature. Of course DPI is active for everyone using the hotspot.

On my System running an unifi controller from proxmox and an 64gb msata Kingston ssd, the most writes are comming from Unifi Server and the SSD wearout after 5 Months is 4% from new...

I am sure can can agree if this will happens to a flash or sdcard on cloud key it will have a real short life time.

Guest policies expiration 31 days

Group Rekey Interval GTK is 3600s = 60 min.

DHCP lease time is 86400s = 24h

In my setup I see on Sunday for 2 Devices 63 log entries. All on the same time stamp. Not a time periode...

And just to say it again, these is not the only duplicated type of messages. There are several other types flooding the message log!

If we can reduce all the duplicated log entries we will save an hugh amount of disk writes and memory...

But it seems to be less than the first time we noticed it with prior releases.

best regards
Torsten

unauthorized.JPG
Kudos: 125
Solutions: 9

@UBNT-JaM and @UBNT-DavidS any updates on this?  I noticed 4.4.33dev came out Friday but didn't see any updates on fixes for this specific problem.  Lots of Dual-Wan related fixes which is great as I may have an opportunity to use that at one of my sites.

Also -- I answered the PM from JaM and appreciate you reaching out.

The campgrounds I have are closed for the season now which takes some pressure off, but I'm fearful this issue could drag on for a long time.  There are many others affected by it.

Thanks.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 17
Solutions: 3

I have new info:

When "has become unauthorized" messages starts and CPU usage is high, then click to USG - Config - Manage - Force provision put things back to normal. At least for my USG.

Brooklyn Red Hook church wifi, 110/12 mbps, USG 3P, 2xAC-PRO (wire) + 3xAC-LR (wire) + 1xAC-Lite (wire) + 2xAC-LR (wireless uplink)

@Kisch Thanks for the tip.  If the force provision is non-disruptive, this is a great workaround for a system that is bleeding with these alerts.  My strategy has been to block the offending clients and then unblock them at a later time -- usually happens after they have left and DHCP lease expires.

Kudos: 9

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to add that I'm experiencing the same thing.

Not using vouchers, but it's a guest network with WPA2. A couple of friends came over yesterday evening and used it, they left long ago, and woke up this morning to over 24k alerts, seems to be happening every second.

USG3P was hovering around 30-50% CPU even with pretty much no internet traffic going.

Forcing a provision did seem to solve it, don't see any more alerts and CPU dropped to idle.

USG3P is on 4.4.34 and all other devices (USW24, 3x AP-PRO, 2x AP-M) on 4.0.8, UCK on 0.12.1, UniFi on 5.9.32.

EDIT: Roughly 12 hours later, all is still well, no alerts. Forcing the provision currently seems to be the best non-disruptive workaround.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 12
Solutions: 3

[ Edited ]

Hi,

problem still exsiting for me as well. Had to prune the database on friday to 0 days due to an unresponsive controller, Unifi did not start.

Today again over 85000 events, despite that the DHCP lease time is set very short.

We need urgently a fix here, I’m scared when there will be a bigger event at that site.

CK 12.0, 5.9.29

USG4 4.4.34

I see as well that the USG CPU load was around 30% for about 15 hours with zero internet traffic.

Kr

/R

@UBNT-JaM @UBNT-DavidS I've noticed several 4.4.x releases of unifi routing/switching including 4.4.36 yesteraday and most of the focus appears to be dual-wan related.

The guest unauthroized attempted to be fixed a few releases ago w/ no success.

Is this slated to be fixed anytime in the future?  Is so, when?  This has been an ongoing issue for many months (the entire summer and now into winter here in New England).  Hoping it doesn't go on to years!

-On the edge of my seat for months...

Thanks.