Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Kudos: 1

Re: Guest wireless clients appearing as wired

I'm seeing the same issue on my end as well. This problem was first reported back in 2016 and still no resolution, only promises that they will fix it in the next firmware release. Come on people ist 2018 already!

Emerging Member
Kudos: 13

i'm seeing this issue on my install as well for the Guest clients. running the latest prodcution builds

I am seeing the same thing too. Any solution?

Noticing this a lot in our shopping center guest wifi. Seems like roughly have our connections from android and IOS devices are showing up this way at any given time. I'll keep watching here for a fix.

I have the following equipment:

Raspberry Pi model 3b running the UniFi controller v. 5.6.30.

USG with fw 4.4.18.5052168.

Switch-8 60 W with fw 3.9.19.8123.

3 x UAP AC LR with fw 3.9.19.8123 (new version that works with standard PoE), powerd by PoE from the switch.

The equipment was purchased and installed in Sweden. It has its country code set to 'Sweden'.

I have two SSID:s. One is for the family, and the other is for guests (setup as guest access in the UniFi controller). Other than that and changing the subnet (I was gradually replacing an old all-in-one WiFi router, starting with the switch and one AP), I have not done any configuring, so everything is pretty much at its stock settings.

All works well as far as I can tell, but I have also seen wireless clients show up as wired. This includes guests that connect through the guest SSID.

Emerging Member
Solutions: 1

I saw this issue yesterday (only with a Chromecast) after upgrading to 5.7.20 from 5.6.30. The Chromecast was reporting correctly as wireless on 5.6.30.

The issue has resolved itself after I upgraded the firmware on the USG & US-8-60W. The Chromecast is now showing as a wireless client attached to the AC-PRO. All my iPads and iPhones are showing correctly.

Kudos: 18
Solutions: 2

We have this problem aswell where phones or Wireless ios devices show as LAN and AP/Port is the USG.

Please give kudo's to the people who have helped you and mark your thread as solved when you receive a solution to your issue.

@vijvis, for me and at least some others, the problem is intermittent. Most of the time, all wireless clients (normally around 10 in my case) show up correctly as wireless. Sometimes, there can be several days without any issues. Therefore, I think you need to let things run a while, and then check the event log to see if you still experience false LAN connections (Look at LAN events in the event log for the last 30 days).

/Jonas

Emerging Member

@hmj I had a look at the logs for the past 60 days when I was running 5.6.30 and don't see the issue at all. I upgraded to 5.7.20 and saw the issue yesterday. However the device is reporting correctly now. I will keep an eye on the logs.

It seems that it is possible that guest could gain at least temporary access to all network resources. Have a look at this post by @greggmh123https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Keeping-guests-out-of-the-business-network/m-p/2285955#...

This seems like a very serious issue to me that should be fixed urgently @UBNT-Brandon. Both for businesses and anyone using the UniFi system at home, I would think that most everyone would consider it (very) unacceptable if there is a setting to apply guest policies that does not work. If this is really not fixable - it has been about three quarters of a year since Brandon mentioned that UBNT was working on fixing this - I think that the possibility of security breaches should be clearly mentioned in the controller when guest policies are applied. If there is a workaround (VLAN:s - I am new to all this so please do explain to me if that would work (the question has also come up in the thread linked to above)?), perhaps that workaround should be suggested in the controller when guest policies are applied.

Kudos: 3

I'm having the same issue on the network that I maintain at my church.

It seems that VLAN:s should work to solve the security issue: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Keeping-guests-out-of-the-business-network/m-p/2286424#....

I have yet to try it myself, but I hope to be able to during the weekend.

[ Edited ]

Same here, I have two identical setups  of 1x usg, 1x usw, 1x ac-uap-pro, I upgraded both to 5.7.20. One setup is perfectly fine, the other one shows ALL clients as LAN now, reporting the ap/port as the MAC of the USG. the guest separation seem to be working though, at least for multicast like netflix. units show up with fling, but that's by design I think. The AP in devices shows up fine, but reports 0 clients 0 guests, and on the "RF scan" section it says "RF scan requires a wired connection". I don't use wireless uplinks, and I have not changed anything. I tried reverting the firmware back quite a bit, restoring config to before the issue, I tried upgrading FW to beta. Nothing helps. The system works fine from a user perspective though.

These kind of serious bugs are what's hindering you to recommend unifi as a "just works"-solution for laymen.

Edit two months later: I just completely wiped the database and installation for the controller, reset all devices and did a clean install, no issues since then Man Indifferent

Kudos: 10
Solutions: 3

@UBNT-Brandon Is there any update you can provide on this? Soon approaching the 12 month anniversary of this thread and would love to see the problem resolved. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 20

I have the same issue and some guests are showing up as users although their IP is within the guest IP range.

Kudos: 4

Having the same issues here.

My network:

• USG-PRO-4 (4.4.18.5052172)
  • UAP-AC-PRO (3.9.21.8191)
  • USW-48-500W (3.9.21.8191)
  • UC-CK (FW: UCK.mtk7623.v0.10.0.cc913ee.180306.1543 & Controller: 5.7.20-10627)

[ Edited ]

Add us to the list.

I manage an all-UniFi campus network consisting of a USG Pro 4, Cloud Key, seven UniFi PoE switches of various types, five UAP-SHDs, and three UAP-Pros.  

I had never seen this issue since the network was implemented using the 5.6.29 controller level, but after upgrading to 5.7.23, I am seeing many wireless devices, on both the Admin and Guest VLANs, reporting as being connected directly to the USG. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 14

Similar Issue here,

Seems like when IPS/IDS is enabled this happens.  Switching this feature off and the problems seem to go away.....

Regards

USG3, 3xAP-AC Lite, 1AP-AC Pro, Cloudkey, 250W 24P Switch
Home WiFi Enthusiast