Have Unifi Nano HD want improved coverage around house keeping discrete aesthetic

Hi,

Moved into a new home that has network cabling roughed in for the tv areas and bedrooms (no cabling at ceiling level or inside closets)

I have a nano HD today located on the main floor and sitting on a shelf within my tv stand and hardwired to the network jack on the wall. It's orientated so that the blue ring is pointing towards the ceiling. It's broadcasing on one SSID (2.4+5ghz). Have used the built in scanning functionality to select an underutilized channels for 2.4 and 5g to improve connection quality.

Problem I'm having is that connection quality can be spotty for a handful of my device (Nest doorbell and work laptop) and was wondering what could be done to improve this.

Was thinking that I could possibly mount the AP on the wall (vertical surface) behind the TV just high enough so that it remains out of sight and perhaps providing a better signal to devices. I could buy another AP and do the same in the basement which is located at the back of the house to ensure coverage is decent at both front and back sides of the home.

I understand that these things are meant to be ceiling mounted but I don't have an easy way to route cable from the central area where all the wiring is routed to in the garage.

I also thought of the IW access points but the cabling has been terminated on a 4-gang wall plates for the TV areas (4 cable runs) and 2-gang (2 cable runs) for the bedrooms and don't want to undo those to accomodate the IW unit installation.

Was wondering if any of you have had a similar setup and have figured out what could be done to improve connection quality.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Kudos: 157
Solutions: 30

Re: Have Unifi Nano HD want improved coverage around house keeping discrete aesthetic

Where wired, (prefered) is not possible, add mesh AP's which only require a connection to an outlet for power. As long as they are positioned in relation to your NanoHD, such that they recieve a good signal but also are somewhat closer to your problem zones, you should be able to solve the issue sans new cabling.

Eric

SuperUser
Kudos: 8638
Solutions: 1448

Re: Have Unifi Nano HD want improved coverage around house keeping discrete aesthetic

Yes: you can uplink to access points wirelessly, but of

course you can try mounting on the walls. You can

make a temporary installation by stacking up some

cardboard boxes if you like.   Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com
Kudos: 157
Solutions: 30

Also when these come back into stock, they might be a solution in bedrooms as the take a single poe Ethernet cable as input.  Poe power + 1Gb Ethernet as input on the back and mount in place of existing wall plate. They are functionally equivalent to NanoHD in terms of radio, but as well contain a 4 port wired switch in bottom edge providing 4 additional  wired 1Gb rj45 jacks for other wired connections. Appearance wise they are quite inconspicuous.   I use both NanoHD and IW-HD AP’s and have been pleased with both.

https://inwall-hd.ui.com/

Eric