Kudos: 2

Help Configuring Controller and UAP AC Pro

Hi everyone,

I recently finished a remodel and have just installed my network equipment. Let me start by saying I am NOT a network pro and have limited knowledge about the fine tuning and details. I know enough to be dangerous (not really, LOL). I have googled a lot and gone through a lot of posts in the community which have been great, but now im at the point where I realize I have made some mistakes along the way, and alos not sure the best way to maximize my network. So here goes, looking forward to help from the community!

Equipment (all Ubiquiti UniFi):

- 2 UAP AC Pro's (Both wired directly to Switch)

- 1 USG

- 1 POE Switch-16 Port, 150W

- 1 Cloud Key

Below are some pics that may help and my controller configuration screen. My main questions are the following:

1. What settings should I use for channel width, transmit power and Minimum RSSI (for both UAP's)?

Airtime fairness is "ON", Band Steering to 5G is "ON", 

2. RF Scans to manually select channels. Sometimes the ones I select are used, other times Ive gotten the red box with the excalmation that says something like "X channel selected, but Y channel being utilized". Why is that?

3. Are my UAP's too close together? They are about 25 feet away from eachother. Devices are not easily switching over to the UAP that is closer and has a better signal.

4. My coverage outside is not very good (or as good as I expected), it is the same or worse than my old apple airport extreme (has a good 3 to 4 years on it). Speed is ok when connected, but connection comes and goes. Should I consider adding an outdoor UAP?

5. For some reason my iPhone drops the WiFi coverage constantly, especially when I move further away from the UAP it is connected to. Why is this and is there are fix? (I adjusted the 2G and 5G DTIM Period to "3" as suggested in other threads, but still not great staying connected at a distance)

6. Sometimes my internet capacity gets really high, from 70%+, 90%+, etc. Does this matter? I read somewhere it doesn't really, but not sure.

During the remodel I selected the locations of where I would put the UAP's without really doing any homework on this; and now realize I may not have them in the best places. I figured the more power and range they had, the better; and that it would be better for them (coverage) to overlap some to give a strong signal and maximize coverage. But what I have found is that the coverage is too far and devices do not switch to the closer/better UAP, they stick to the one further away. And while I'd prefer to work with the setup I have, I am not completely against moving 1 of the UAP's to a different location (seems like the Living Room UAP would be the candidate since the Hallway one is towards the side of the house and in the middle of the bedrooms).

Thank you all for taking the time to read through my novel, and I look forward to some suggestions from the pro's on here. Feel free to let me know if you need any other info.

Hallway UAP.jpg
Living Room UAP.jpg
systemConfig.png
11221 Home Floor Plan-JPEG-for Community.jpg
Kudos: 1631
Solutions: 493

Re: Help Configuring Controller and UAP AC Pro

[ Edited ]

Hello @fdg5241,

The UAPs are close to eachother, I recommend the following:

Disable the Advaned Features such as band steering and minimum RSSI, let the client decide.

Devices > UAP > Config > Band Steering

Devices > UAP > Config > Radios

I recommend the following Radio Settings for your UAPs

Devices > UAP > Config > Radios

2.4 GHz
Channel width: HT20
Chanel: 1/6/11 | Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one.
Transmit Power: Low ( Medium )

5GHz
Channel width: VHT40 | Optional VHT80 might decrease wireless stability
Chanel: 36/44 | Optional (149/157) Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one. Avoid using DFS Channels
Transmit Power: Medium ( High )

For outdoor coverage I recommend using a UAP AC M ( if really needed ofcourse )

Did you change your Provider Capabilities ( default it 10/10 )

Settings > Site > Provider Capabilities

You could upgrade your UAPs to 4.0.9.

Devices > UAP > Config > Manage Device > Custom Upgrade

Nice Christmas tree hehe Ubnt Banana

Let me know how things go after all the changes Man Happy

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2 • UCK

Thanks for getting back to me Glenn! Once I update config with your recommendations I will circle back to update. Should be sometime this evening. 

Happy holidays

One thing I forgot, I have auto updates on for AP’s. I can disable, but how do I do the custom upgrade? I saw  the firmware available, just not sure which of the links to click (binary, etc) for the correct url. 

[ Edited ]

Hello @fdg5241,

Thanks for reporting back, please keep me posted!

You need to copy the link location of the binary, use that URL for the custom upgrade

You too happy holidays Ubnt Banana

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2 • UCK
Established Member
Kudos: 368
Solutions: 53

@fdg5241- You need to right click on the binary link for the device you need the FW for. So for the AC Pro, you would do the top one and right click binary and "copy link address".

Then you paste this link in the config tab in the controller of the AP device. In the config tab of the AP settings, you will see a firmware upgrade box to paste the link into. Then hit upgrade.

Thank you Glenn and Verisarioc. Glenn, I have made the reccommended configuration changes, they seem to be working well so far. Thank you very much! However there are a couple things I did not do yet. It was disabling the band steering and minimum RSSI; the main reason being I thought it was ideal to steer devices towards 5G, and by having a minimum RSSI set, devices would be booted from an AP in order to connect to the closer AP with higher signal strength. 

I hope and ask that you please not take offense to this or think I am questioning your expertise! I guess I would like to know the reasoning/thought process behind the reccomendations, as well as get a batter understanding. A few questions:

1. Without taking too much of your time, can you briefly explain for me (reason to disable band steering and min rssi)?

2. I have updated the AP's firmware, should I keep auto updates to the AP's disabled?

3. I see there is a firmware update for the USG, should I custom upgrade this as well?

I also wanted to mention the amount of devices on the wireless network will grow. I have other devices that have yet to be added (havent had time), ie. Amazon Alexa's, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, Tv's, etc. Not sure if this changes any of the recommendations, but figured it would be good to mention. I also have drops to all bedrooms and locations of the home, plan is to hardwire as much as possible (not exactly sure what that will be yet, but most likely TV's, gaming consoles, desktop comp).

Thanks again and sorry for the delayed response. Yesterday was a bit hectic with the kids and activities.

Hello @fdg5241,

1) Band Steering can push a client to 5GHz with low signal strenght, minimum RSSI will kick clients of the network once the signal strength gets below the value you configured. ( most clients will roam by themselfs already )

2) Keep the auto updates disabled otherwise it will downgrade the UAP again.

3) You can also Custom Upgrade the USG, I personally recommend doing it.

Hardwiring devices is always a good thing to do Man Happy

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
UCK-G2 • UCK

Thanks Glenn. I’ll let you know how it goes. Regarding the min rssi, part of the problem I think I have is that the AP’s may be too close to each other. Before having made that change, devices didn’t really roam on their own to the better signal. Could it have been the transmit power was too high or VH/MH channel thing (sorry, don’t remember the exact name of that category?

Out of curiousity, in what cases does using the min rssi feature come into play, and the settings generally recommended? Or is it simply case by case. 

Ultimately I’d like the AP’s to be able to maximize their respective ranges while devices roam to the better AP on their own.

Would relocating my living room AP be something you’d recommend? I know it’s very hard to answer this without actually being on site, but wonder what your thoughts are.

Thanks again!

Hello @fdg5241,

I would recommend reading this article about Minimum RSSI.

How is your wireless coverage when you turn off the UAP in the hallway?

I think you could move the UAP in the hallway more to the back.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
UCK-G2 • UCK