Kudos: 1

Help me to determine what my percepction considers as poor Wi-Fi performance

Hello,

I did some test after users were complaining of slow performance when connected via Wi-Fi. After the test I check the values and they don't look good as far as I can see. These were the components for the test:

Computer A
Windows 10 1803
Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 AC 2x2 HMCv (Maximun link speed: 130 Mbps as reported by HWiNFO)
Intel Core i7-5500U
16 Gigabytes RAM

Computer B
Windows 10 1803
Broadcom 43AE 802.11ac (Maximun speed 200 Mbps as reported by HWiNFO)
AMD A10-8700P
4 Gigabytes RAM

Firewall and anti-virus were disabled on both computers. First test was both computer conencted to the same AP. Windows 10 reported that both computers were operating in the 5 GHz band and network channel 128. The AP is an Unifi AP-AC Pro. These were the paramenters of the radio during the test:

AP status during test.png

The NetStress program was used for the test. NetStress was using the following parameters:

Display Units: Mbps
    TCP UDP Settings:
        Number of TCP data streams: 1
        Segment size (KBytes): 131072
        Number of UDP daa streams: 1
        Segment Size (KBytes): 64512
    MUT: 1500 bytes

Here are the results for computer A and computer B:

Computer A Same AP.png

Computer B Same AP.png

As you can see the values obtained from the test are less than half of what the Wi-Fi interfaces can provide. Are these typical values?. Is there something wrong the test procedure? Can you detect problems with the AP stats/paramenters? What do you recommend to improve performance?

Another test was conducted but these time computer A was connected to another AP an UniFi AP (2.4 only), and the values were even worst. I was getting 20 Mbps when the computer was on 5G with the computer in 2G I was getting 7 Mbps. What do you recommend to improve performance apart from changing the AP?

Please advice.

Established Member
Kudos: 368
Solutions: 53

Re: Help me to determine what my percepction considers as poor Wi-Fi performance

Hi. Can you post your system config here?
Controller Settings-> Maintenance-> Show System Config

Make sure to change the 5ghz band to VHT80. Also, how far away are the devices from the AP?
Kudos: 1631
Solutions: 493

Re: Help me to determine what my percepction considers as poor Wi-Fi performance

Hello @EdilCS,

Please share your system config

Settings > Maintenance > Support Info > Show System Configi

I also recommend using the following Radio Settings

Devices > UAP > Config > Radios

2.4 GHz
Channel width: HT20
Chanel: 1/6/11 | Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one.
Transmit Power: Low/Medium

5GHz
Channel width: VHT40 | Optional VHT80 might decrease wireless stability
Chanel: 36/44 | Optional (149/157) Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one. Avoid using DFS Channels
Transmit Power: Medium/High

What is the signal strength and Rx/Tx rate of the client?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2 • UCK

verisarioc, AmazedMender16 Thanks for your support.

I forgot to mention that the APs for the second test were connected to the same UniFi Switch.

Here is the system config:

System Config.PNG

The APs hilighted were the ones used for the test. The first one in the list for the first test and then the the same one with the old AP for the second test.

Established Member
Kudos: 368
Solutions: 53

Thanks for the post of the config. I recommend looking at AmazedMender16's comment.

He has a nice laid out setup for the 2.4 and 5 bands you should try for all your AP's.

I recommend turning off the connectivity monitor setting since all your APs seem to be hard wired. That could help out alot more than you think.

[ Edited ]

Hello @EdilCS,

Take a look at my previous post and use those Radio Settings.

Also disable the Uplink Connectivity Monitor

Settings > Site > Uplink Connectivity Monitor

You may aswell upgrade to 4.0.9

Devices > UAP > Config > Manage Device > Custom Upgrade

May I ask why you have so many SSIDs?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2 • UCK

Sorry forgot to include client stats/signal. First one is Computer A and second one is Computer B. I didn't took this values during the test and the values here is when both computers are connected to the same AP Unifi AP-AC Pro.

Capture.PNG

[ Edited ]

AmazedMender16 again Thanks!!!

Count on it I will follow your suggestion.

EDIT----------

My apologies for so many questions,

From the image posted with the original post that shows an RF scan of the Unifi AP-AC Pro What channel do you recommend? How do I read and interpretate the RF Scan charts?

I don't have an RF Scan option for the older AP.

For transmit power is either low or medium. According the RF scans what do you recommend?

Do you recommend to apply the suggested values to all APs?

I will proceed with the upgrade after hours but also I will have to disable the auto-update feature because manual upgrade is disabled.

Also checking the image I did took the signal strenght values during the first test they were -46 dBm for Computer A and -60 dBm for Computer B.

I have no idea but the on the list of SSID two of the SSID got repeated.

Ok reading this thread [RF-enviroment-how-and-why-and-what]; I think that I get a good grasp on how to read the RF Scan charts.

AmazedMender16 you recommend me to use chanels 1/6/11 with HT20 for the 2.4 band and 36/44 or 149/157 with VHT40 for the 5  band. But reading the values from the chart the channels with less usage are:

• for 2.4 with HT20 - number 7 with 19% usage, the others 1 = 33%, 6 = 24%, 11 = 24%
  • for 5 with VHT40 there are no channels with the numbers you listed - 62, 118, 126, 142 are all 0%

By the way both channels widths HT20 for 2.4 and VHT40 for 5 were already selected. So, even when 6 and 11 have more usage than 7 for 2.4-HT20, Do you still recommend to use channels 6 or 11? In the case for 5-VHT40, Can I select any of those channels that I listed without problems? The channels that you gave me for 5G are all listed as 20 MHz channels and the utilization on all of them is 4% or less.

Uplink connectivity monitor has been disabled but I was not able to proceed with upgrade due to office operations. I think that I will do it tomorrow evening.

Any idea why two of the SSID were listed twice?

Again thanks.

Hello @EdilCS,

Yes only use 1/6/11 on 2.4GHz those channels don’t overlap eachother.

I recommend staying off the DFS channels...

Do you perhaps have multiple WLAN groups?

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
UCK-G2 • UCK

Oh I see, you are correct, two WLAN groups. There we go with the duplicated SSIDs.

DFS channels... Can you please elaborate a little bit and enlight me?

[ Edited ]

Hello @EdilCS,

If the UAP detects a radar on the DFS channel it will kick all the clients from the channel.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
UCK-G2 • UCK

Oh I see... hmmm... and, how does that translate in terms of the Unifi configuration?

Hello @EdilCS,

If you dont want it to happen use the non DFS channels.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
UCK-G2 • UCK

Ah! of course ... DFS channelss... yes yes... Bah! you are talking about DFS that stands for Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS),and  refers to a mechanism to allow unlicensed devices, especially those operating out-door to share the 5GHz frequency bands which have been allocated to radar systems without causing interference to those radars. With DFS function enabled, the devices will monitor the frequency they are using for radar signals. If radar signals are detected on current channel, the devices will vacate that channel and switch to an alternate channel automatically. In addition, the channel which radars are detected will not be used for a period of time. Channles that requires DFS are:

Capture.PNG

So in terms of the Unifi configuration you should avoid the use of any of those channels listed in the table... easy peasy, piece of cake!

Nono

ok ok I use google search and found that here [DFS]

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5
Solutions: 2

@EdilCS,

I am in an almost RF clean environment (43 acre farm). There are 2 neighbors that have wifi on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz, but they are a good distance away. On a good day, I might see their 2.4 at 50% from the closest AP to the neighbor. What I mostly see is all the vehicles with Wifi as they come and go from the neighbors. LOL.

That said, I was having poor performance like you. In my case, my newer APs were performing a lot worse than my older APs. Specifically, we were testing with an AC-Lite and a Gen1 UAP. The Gen1 UAP was blowing away the AC-Lite. After working with support through 2 different tickets (and sending them all kinds of spectral scans, trying different channels, different power settings, things like smart queues on/off, dpi on/off, etc.), what finally fixed our network was to split the 2.4 and 5 into two different networks. The Unifi engineers could not explain to me why this was the fix, but it definitely ended my misery. After splitting the two, I could enable dpi, choose what channels made sense, even use Smart Queues with only the noted performance hit stated in the documentation.

Worth a shot. :-)

Capture.JPG

Regards!

Jason

Weed-Whiskers I read you. I will cover the bases with all what was said by Verisarioc and AmazedMender16 and if problems continue will test your suggestion. I expect to work with the firmware upgrades today after-hours.

Thanks!