Help with AP Placement for a Nursing Home

[ Edited ]

Hello, 

I'm working on upgrading WIFI at a nursing home facility I manage. I'm looking to switch AP brands from MOJO Networks to Ubiquiti and wanted some advice/input on my plan, as well as answer some questions I have on my head.

Currently, there are 4 x C-50 AP's (if anyone has worked with MOJO before). I performed a survey earlier today and as you can clearly see, the coverage is non-existent in the hallways/rooms. My proposition is to use the UAC-AP-PRO's (Blue) for the majority of the building and the UAC-AP-HD (Orange) for the Conference & Therapy room, which would both be considered high-density.  The signal will have to carry into the rooms as the residents will be using this for web browsing/video streaming, as well as for the nurses to perform bedside charting. These nurses will be using laptops/iPads. There will be approximately 6 laptops & 6 iPads for the nurses. There will also be staff that uses their laptops/BYOD devices throughout the building. Lastly to note as a reminder, there is more-than-average Noise given that this is a medical facility.

My questions are: 

1. Given the dimensions from "Blueprint Breakdown.png", do you think there's an overkill amount of AP's or did I space it out generously?
  2. Can I mix PRO's and HD's within one WLAN? Any kind of hiccups or does it just work like a charm? 
  3. Should an argument be made to go with LR's instead of PRO's?

I would like to thank everyone for taking their time to read this and providing your input. 

All the best!

AP Placement.jpg
Blueprint Breakdown.png
Heat Map.png
Kudos: 27
Solutions: 1

Re: Help with AP Placement for a Nursing Home

This looks good to me. I have recently done an install in a nursing home and used x29 UAP AC PROS over 3 floors similar.  Mounted to the ceilings in the hallways. I would try and stick with using the same AP's throughout the site, I don't think using LR's will benefit you much.

I'm debating right now between the PRO's or the HD's. Have you had experience with the HD's? Given the opportunity to do over, would you consider deploying HD's everywhere?

You recommend using the same AP's throughout the site. Are you saying this because you had a bad experience mixing different AP's, or was that suggestion made in "theory"?
Kudos: 87
Solutions: 20

@warden wrote:
I'm debating right now between the PRO's or the HD's. Have you had experience with the HD's? Given the opportunity to do over, would you consider deploying HD's everywhere?

There's pretty lively debate scattered around these forums.  Some folks claim that there's a trade-off with the HD: better at handling high client density, but giving up some coverage, and in some cases, individual client throughput.  Others point out that the additional on-device compute power of the HD mitigates some potential issues.  Some suggest that in non-high-density applications, the additional cost of the HD is money thrown away.  Others counter that UAPs are so cheap compared to other solutions that you can just disregard the relative price difference between the Pro and the HD.  Finally, there's the contingent that simply argue that you should always go with the latest/greatest device, in some kind of "future-proofing".  So, you can find evidence (or at least arguments) to favor either device.  :-/

There is pretty clear consensus that the HD is the right choice for high client density, though.  The question would be if your "high density" areas are that only relative to your other areas, or if they meet the level that the HD was specifically designed to accommodate.

I realize this probably doesn't really help you decide, but hopefully gives you some things to think about or investigate further.

good luck.

Kudos: 27
Solutions: 1

I have never actually used the HD's but based on the specs they do seem better.

Are you thinking of using the LR because you are thinking of using less access points?
Highlighted
Kudos: 87
Solutions: 20

Hmm, I guess this applies to @bwarden's original question 3...

For the UAP-AC-LR, part of the reason for the "LR" designation is the fractal antenna design, which provides better receive sensitivity.  So, independent of the distance/coverage aspect, that seems to be a plus, esp. with mobile devices.

One of the main advantages of the UAP-AC-Pro is the 3x3 MIMO, but that's a wash if your clients don't support it.

To be clear, I'm not an RF expert, but have seen this discussed a lot in the forums.  Here are a couple of examples of those threads (and as an added bonus, the second one even bring the HD into the discussion):

...and to question 2:  I've don't recall having seen any accounts of difficulties mixing HDs and Pros, or really for that matter, mixing any of the gen2 and newer UAPs.