Kudos: 4

High Tx retries Unifi Ap-AC-Pro

Hello,

I'm having issues with two APs on one of my sites with Tx retries. I've checked several different potential causes and can't figure this out. The AP with the most problems is located in a large, open room connected to the main building and I want it to only serve people when they are in that room. There is a more centralized AP that should better serve users when they are in the main building. I've lowered the transmit power on my problem-AP to try to force users to hop on the more "centralized" AP when they are near the room but the Tx/Rx rates don't really indicate that it's a power issue to me.  A channel scan shows low interferrence. This AP typically has low usage relative to the rest of the site. Any suggestions?

AP-CR tx retries 11-16-2018.pngAP-CR 5ghz chart.pngAP-CR 2.4ghz chart.pngAP-CR 5ghz.pngAP-CR 2.4ghz.png

Kudos: 4461
Solutions: 1156

Re: High Tx retries Unifi Ap-AC-Pro

Hello @rmiller10110,

Do you have historical data turned on so you can see from what client it comes?

Settings > Maintenance > Data Retention

Could you post your system config?

Settings > Maintenance > Support Info > Show System Config

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

Here is the system config. I don't have clients' historical data logging turned on currently. I'll turn it on to see if I can find anything. This is on a college campus so everyone is about to leave for Thanksgiving. I may have to wait until after the break to figure this out. systemConfig (2).png 

Hello @rmiller10110,

Could you put 2.4GHz to LOW and 5GHz to MEDIUM?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

They are both set to low. I'll switch 5GHz to medium. There are currenlty a few users on the AP on the 5GHz network, will changing the power config cause a reboot or kick them off?

Thanks,

Rebecca

Hello @rmiller10110,

I believe they will lose connectivity for a few seconds as the UAP provisions.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Ok, I changed the power as recommended. 

Ok, the residents returned to the site this weekend after Thanksgiving holiday so I have some data for the last 24 hours. It is still looking bad. I've been collecting data but I'm not sure what data to access to further troubleshoot. Any suggestions would be great. 

Thanks!

AP-CR tx retries 11-26-2018.PNG

Kudos: 404
Solutions: 106

Just to add to @AmazedMender16 good suggestions, I would try best practices this way. Please note that these are just generic best practices that may or may not work in your environment, so best to get a site survey done:

1) hardcode the TX power for 2.4GHz band = 12 dBm  (EIRP) and for the 5GHz  = 18 dBm (EIRP).

2) disable "b" data rates completely (e.g set the minimum bitrate to 12Mbps on the 2.4GHz band, or at leat to 11Mbps if "b" clients need connection).

3) reduce 5GHz channel width to 20MHz 

Thanks,
Myky
CWNA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.

Hello @rmiller10110,

Do you have client historical data collection enabled? ( so you can check what client is causing so many retries )

Settings > Maintenance > Data Retention

Regards,

Glenn R.

Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

I'm following this thread as I've been trying to troubleshoot the same problem.  It seems to have popped up since upgrading my two WAPs (Pro and LR) to 3.9.54.9373.  I've looked through the client historical information and can't locate one that has the tens of thousands of retires my two WAPs are reporting.  I'm getting 28% and 34% Tx retries on the two WAPs.  I've done RF scans and used WFA (on an Android device) to ensure there are no conflicting users on the channels chosen.

For normal web browsing the problem isn't really visible, but when trying to transfer large files or stream HD there are tens of re-sends from the source due to the TCP ACKs not being received.  I believe the provider isn't getting the ACK back timely (due to the re-tries) so it sends the packets again.  This is only happening on the wireless devices so I know the ISP is not to blame.

The Garage WAP shows lots of interference but running WFA shows it to be really good - certainly nothing high enough to cause all the retries.  I do have 2G data rate controls set to 12Mbps and "disable CCK rates" enabled. 

I read in another forum from late October where people downgraded their firmware and it resolved this issue.  I've never downgraded and would hate to have to start now, but it may be the path I have to go down.  Any other recommendations or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Screenshot 2018-11-26 13.26.53.png
2018-11-26 13.24.33-rs.jpg
Highlighted
Kudos: 404
Solutions: 106

@wizhill l would create a separate post regarding your question/problem (even tho it is very similar) so we can discuss your issue.

Thanks,
Myky
CWNA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.