High domain requests from Unifi AP on OpenDNS?

[ Edited ]

Two days ago I setup an OpenDNS account and assigned the DNS server details on my router.

Today I've seen a massive spike in my UniFi AP sending out high domain requests. 

Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 16.56.38.png

In the screenshot nothing is as high? Man Indifferent 

I do use this UniFi AP quite often as I work in my office, perhaps this is just my activity being sent?

Kudos: 185
Solutions: 13

Re: High domain requests from Unifi AP on OpenDNS?

So, for clarity, did you set up your router to use OpenDNS as its DNS provider, or did you set up DHCP on your router to tell your clients to use OpenDNS?  If the latter, then you probably want to change it so your clients use your router as the DNS provider, and then the router will relay any external requests out to OpenDNS.  At that point, "unifi", which is what the AP's look for when trying to connect to the controller, should fall off your OpenDNS report.

Hi @mpreissner 

I believe I've setup my router to use OpenDNS as it's DNS provider? Can you clarify?

Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 17.20.34.png

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1341
Solutions: 351

Your settings make each device on your network use OpenDNS, when what you want is for only your router to use OpenDNS, and the rest of the devices to use your router for DNS as @mpreissner mentioned.

Set the DNS entries on the router to OpenDNS, and remove the entries in your post so that the APs contact the router for DNS resolution.

Established Member
Kudos: 448
Solutions: 79

"unifi" is not a resolvable global address. Its used for internal network purposes.

So your routers LAN address should be the primary DNS.

Cool so those DNS entries in my screenshot are currently using the OpenDNS entries  208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

Ah ok  @Vestas so the domain is only being used internally on my network. So I'm guessing nothing to really worry about? 

Established Member
Kudos: 448
Solutions: 79

[ Edited ]

Its the UAPs trying to talk to the controller. Edit - which is presumably on your LAN, but wherever it is Googles OpenDNS nameservers won't be able to find "unifi" Man Happy

Kudos: 185
Solutions: 13

If you clear out the DNS settings on that page (DHCP Server), then your router should start telling your client devices to use the router itself for DNS.  The router will then relay any DNS requests for Internet sites out to OpenDNS.  The "unifi" requests, as they are intended to be local, will stay within your local network.