Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)

Home WiFi network - Comments please

Hi all,

I've been reading up on the Unifi hardware because I am building a new house and would like to equip it with Unifi.

My house will be a total area of 250 square meters. I decided to put an in-wall AP in each room because it also offers wired outlets. Given that my house, apparently, contains a weird amount of rebar, I think it's a good idea to have WiFi in each room.

I don't have plans for any cameras right away, but would like to add them eventually.

So in the end I will have a modem from my telco which will provide me with 1 public ip address. From there on on it should go to the UniFi network.

So without further ado:

1x UniFi Security Gateway

1x UniFi Switch 16 150W

1x UniFi Cloud Key Gen2 Plus 1TB

5x UniFi AP AC In-Wall 

I also have my home server which I will mount into the same rack as the Cloudkey, and connect to the UniFi switch. I know I can run the software on  my homeserver, but I would like to decouple the WiFi from my server as much as possible. I tend to reinstall my server every now and then.

Will it be possible to add more wired devices to the UniFi switch, or would they ideally run on their own network?

Thanks in advance,

Kudos: 4870
Solutions: 1288

Re: Home WiFi network - Comments please

Hello @cdetroye,

Sounds good to me, ofcourse you can plug other devices into the switch?

Do you have floorplans of the building though?

Regards,
Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Emerging Member
Kudos: 1

Re: Home WiFi network - Comments please

1x UniFi Switch 16 150W POE ?

i would run and extra wall jack in each room for future expansion may never need it but just in case entertainment room /master bedroom should have quad jack so that you don't stream over WiFi