How many devices can connect to a UAP-AC-IW-PRO

Our office is in an old house with plaster walls.  The wifi singanl does not really traverse through teh thick walls.  I'm wondering if I can use one UAP-AC-IW-PRO in each room (max 15 cleints per room and many of the rooms would have less) as opposed to using a UAP‑AC‑PRO?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Kudos: 3028
Solutions: 813

Re: How many devices can connect to a UAP-AC-IW-PRO

[ Edited ]

Hello @Jax001,

You can for sure use UAP AC IW PROs for 15 users, the devices support 250+ concurrent clients.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Kudos: 205
Solutions: 72

@Jax001 wrote:

Our office is in an old house with plaster walls.  The wifi singanl does not really traverse through teh thick walls.  I'm wondering if I can use one UAP-AC-IW-PRO in each room (max 15 cleints per room and many of the rooms would have less) as opposed to using a UAP‑AC‑PRO?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Remember that wifi is two communication, so if you have signal issues to start, adding a bigger badder AP won't help the client devices "talk back" to the AP. I've found in my apartment (complex, across the street and school campus behind, lots and lots of WLAN) that having more (but smaller due to $$) APs worked out better, as each client device didn't have to "scream" to be heard by the single large AP.

At my inlaw's I have a UAP-AC-IW set up in the corner of their garage and it covers well into the driveway and street (which are "behind" the AP due to it's mounting) and it actually carries most of the household usage (garage is next to kitchen / livingroom, and is usually the first AP most devices connect to when entering the house). So I have no issues saying the AC-IW can hold its own next to the ac-lite.

Kudos: 52
Solutions: 13

@MooseTurd wrote:

Remember that wifi is two communication, so if you have signal issues to start, adding a bigger badder AP won't help the client devices "talk back" to the AP. I've found in my apartment (complex, across the street and school campus behind, lots and lots of WLAN) that having more (but smaller due to $$) APs worked out better, as each client device didn't have to "scream" to be heard by the single large AP.

At my inlaw's I have a UAP-AC-IW set up in the corner of their garage and it covers well into the driveway and street (which are "behind" the AP due to it's mounting) and it actually carries most of the household usage (garage is next to kitchen / livingroom, and is usually the first AP most devices connect to when entering the house). So I have no issues saying the AC-IW can hold its own next to the ac-lite.

Remember, you can lower the output power.  Start at low, then increase until you have just enough coverage for your garage, or in the case of the original post, just enough coverage for the office.  That will help minimize extra radation flying around and help for better coverae overall.

My idea for using th einwalls was to put one in each room, since the existing centerally mounted wifi's in the hallways don't really penetrate the walls into each room.  So my plan was to use the existing cable runs with the in wall ap and put one in each room.  The rooms are about 20x20 rooms.