Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted

How to bridge to Unifi AP-AC-PRO

Hi,

i have a wireless lan done with some uap-ac-pro connected by wire to my lan switches. 

Now i have a little lan (only one 8 port switch) in a cottage outside the main building. Wireless signal strenght is good outside the cottage. I want to make a bridge between the little wired lan in the cottage and my lan in the building.

What ubiquiti product should i need?

Is one nanobeam 5ac enough? It can bridge to the uap-ac-pro existing wireless lan?

Thanks in advance

T

SuperUser
Kudos: 4762
Solutions: 1340

Re: How to bridge to Unifi AP-AC-PRO

The airmax "ac" line does not do 802.11ac WiFi.  A single unit will not connect to your existing UniFi setup.

How far is the cottage from your main building?

Fiber (trench it through the ground) or a pair of airmax radios (both installed outside) would be two viable options.

Kudos: 70
Solutions: 21

If you have decent 5g strength outside the cottage, and you are able to run a Ethernet cable outside, you could use a UAP-AC-M (mesh), place it outside to create the wireless uplink and AP, and run the cable inside to the POE injector and from there to the switch. If you have good 5g strength inside the cottage, then a UAP-AC-Lite for the wireless uplink, cable to POE and to the switch.

[ Edited ]

@dpurgert cottage is 10 meters far from the main building in line of sight with an UAP-AC-PRO. Inside the cottage i get low signal near the windows, because the cottage is shielded. Fiber is too expensive and i cannot dig throught the ground.

@MooseTurd i have some doubt about the reliability of the wirelss uplink function, but i think that the best solution maybe another UAP-AC-PRO in wireless uplink, so i have wifi inside the cottage too (even if i don't need it). I have one UAP which should do the wireless uplink with the UAP-AC-PRO. I just have to try if it works as expected.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1192
Solutions: 334

[ Edited ]

I'd not even try with the wireless uplink - go for the two airmax radios as suggested by @dpurgert - this will give you the least amount of trouble.

SuperUser
Kudos: 4762
Solutions: 1340

@andyc - given that it's only 10 meters, I'd favor fiber over the radios.

I mean, for about $100, you get 15 meters of pre-terminated outdoor fiber (with pulling eyes) from fs.com 

But yeah, if he can't dig ..