Highlighted

Ideal Setup To Fulfill Wishlist

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon UBNT community!

I have been tasked with helping setup a decent sized (14,000~ sq. ft.) warehouse with WiFi and IP cameras. We are looking to run about 20 4K cameras. Originally I was looking at the mesh solution but have read thats not always the best solution. Should I go with a more traditional multi-ap solution? I would like some input

Warehouse Width: ~150ft'

Warehouse Length: ~90ft'

The will be some tall shelving with minimal obstruction, but should be considered. Please see (very crude) floor plan belowDrawing1.jpg

Requirements:

• Support for 4k IP Cameras (will be wired)
  • WiFi in all corners of the warehouse
  • Support for Guest Network
  • Preferable 2.4GHz/5GHz support

IMPORTANT EDIT: We are setting up this network from scratch.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 11
Solutions: 1

Re: Ideal Setup To Fulfill Wishlist

How are you powering the IP cameras? Through POE? If so, that doesn't factor into the wireless setup.

Kudos: 34
Solutions: 4

I’d say since you have to run wires anyway for the cameras, do the wired AP set up instead of mesh. 

USG Pro
1 Cloud Key
16-POE-150w
3. 8-POE-60
2 UAP-AC-HD's

@A1234 wrote:

I’d say since you have to run wires anyway for the cameras, do the wired AP set up instead of mesh. 

So because we're running camera's you think the better idea is to go with traditional APs rather than Mesh? Would you elaborate as to why, please?

@ptrubey wrote:

How are you powering the IP cameras? Through POE? If so, that doesn't factor into the wireless setup.

This is true, but we're setting up from scratch so it plays into the overall setup.

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10190
Solutions: 1573

You can hard wire the Mesh UAPs too.

My Topics
Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
"The firings will continue until morale improves." Donald Trump (unconfirmed) 2017.

@Kalibr

Wired is always better than Wireless. So since you have to run wires anyway for the cameras, I would use wired AP's for everything I could. 

USG Pro
1 Cloud Key
16-POE-150w
3. 8-POE-60
2 UAP-AC-HD's

[ Edited ]

But you can wire the Mesh UAPs. Doesn't that make your point (as far as I can tell without further support or reasoning) moot?

@Kalibr

If they function just like any other wired AP and you aren't using the "mesh" feature. Then you are using a wired AP. I wouldn't use the mesh feature unless I really had to. If you are looking at the IW-M-Pro's they are huge.
USG Pro
1 Cloud Key
16-POE-150w
3. 8-POE-60
2 UAP-AC-HD's

What kind of range, or rather how many do you think I need of the APs for reaching every corner of the warehouse? I know you can't give an exact amount, but what's a good starting figure?

I have never used the mesh units. However, 2 UAP-AC-HD’s cover my entire ~4000 square foot house, the backyard and front yard. According to Zillow our lot is .27 acres.
USG Pro
1 Cloud Key
16-POE-150w
3. 8-POE-60
2 UAP-AC-HD's
Kudos: 67
Solutions: 8

@Kalibr wrote:

What kind of range, or rather how many do you think I need of the APs for reaching every corner of the warehouse?

What type of clients will be in use? What are their capabilities (2.4GHz, 5GHz, MIMO/number of streams, etc)? How many will be simultaneously active (typical/max)? What is the average throughput expected per client?

I stated most of these in the main post, but here you go.

Type of clients: Windows PCs (desktops, laptops), Mobile devices (Android, iOS)
Capabilities: 2.4GHz and 5Ghz
Typical Active: 20 clients
Throughput: Don't have a metric, but it's pretty average user load. Spotify, email, occasional YouTube.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 11
Solutions: 1

If you can at all figure it out, I would hard wire each AP with POE. You'll get much better throughput, and much more reliability. Tweaking wireless setups is hard enough without having to worry about AP to AP links.

And use AC-PROs. Warehouses typically don't have the best environmental controls (ie. it can get much hotter or colder than an office or home environment) and the AC-PRO is actually outdoor rated (as long at it doesn't get direct rain). This makes a difference. I had used a Linksys business class AP in an unheated garage and it would spontaneously reboot far more often than ones inside the house.