Kudos: 6
Solutions: 3

Improving thruput speed

In this house we have one Unifi 2.4 AP-LR with 13 wireless clients. Speed at the modem is 40 down and 2 up. Wireless speed test show (usually) around 15 and 2. I want to improve the wireless speed.

Can I add an SSID to the one and only AP, split up the cliens and get better through-put? Is this even possible?

OR...should I get another AP (AP-AC-Lite...), split up the clients and get better through-put?

What say you??

Thanks, Paul

AP.PNG
Kudos: 4022
Solutions: 1026

Re: Improving thruput speed

Hello @plongson,

What speeds are you seeing when running a throughput test through the UniFi APP?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
SuperUser
Kudos: 8635
Solutions: 1447

It's not possible to answer your question with so little

information. You post the WiFi rates of several clients,

but that doesn't indicate the actual data rates they use.

And even at the rates shown, the combination of all

those devices could easily consume the available

40Mbps. You can't do better than that.

There's a limit to the data rate that a negotiated link

can support; links with low signal levels have lower

maximum data rates. 'Dogwatcher cam' could have

an issue, but I doubt that's much of a concern.

What 'wireless speed test' do you use? What speed do

you find if there is only one client on the access point?

There is a limit to the data that one access point can

provide, but it's not clear whether you have maxed out

the UAP-AP-LR you have; it's fairly quick.

Here are a few possible elements: use band steering to

'prefer' the 5GHz band where possible; be sure the

5GHz channel is set to 40Mbps and choose a channel

that has no nearby users on it. Be sure signal levels

are -60dBm or better. Check for interference.   Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com

Thanks for the reply Dave. I just grabbed a quick and dirty screen shot and I'm sure it wasn't enough info.

I'm a real rookie on much of this, probably know just enough to get in trouble..LOL

Nonetheless...If I do a speed test at the router/modem, I get full speed, 40/2. It's when running Wi-Fi speed tests I see the reduction. I have two AP's one in the main building and the other in a remote shop being served with a Nanobeam and nanostation (the entire network is 2.4 We're off grid and have NO neighbors for miles.) BOTH AP-LR show low through-put and the shop AP has NO clients...but the hardwired PC shows full speed.

So in a nutshell...

1. wired speed tests show 40/2 on any CAT hookup.

2. wireless speed tests of both AP-LR's (using ookla etc.) show slow speeds.

I'm confused...

TIA for any help and paticence!

Paul

Hello @plongson,

Could you post your system config?

Settings > Maintenance > Support Info > Show System Config

Have you tried running a throughput test from the UniFi APP?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

Glen, here is the config...

Don't you need a gateway to check speed? Otherwise, I don't see that option.

systemConfig.png

Hello @plongson,

Could you post the full system config?

Are you using any user groups?

Install the UniFi APP on your phone and do a throughput test..

Regards,

Glenn R.

This all I have, I think this is what you want?

Not using any user groups...

DL'ing the UNIFI app now

Capture.PNG

[ Edited ]

Hello @plongson,

Disable the Uplink Connectivity Monitor

Settings > Site > Uplink Connectivity Monitor

Please share the results of the throughput test.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Well, the UNIFI app isn't going anywhere. We don't have a cloud control or USG, unless your're refering to another app.

Hello @plongson,

You can manually connect to the controller.

Please turn the Transmit power to HIGH.

Could you turn off the guest portal and run the tests again?

What speeds were you seeing before and how long ago was that?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Kudos: 395
Solutions: 104

Set test SSID with one client connected to it, disable your already configured SSIDs and test with one device.

@AmazedMender16 Increasing the TX power will not fix the issue, but if we already mentioned this topic, then instead,  l would decrease it to 12-14 dBm.

Thanks,
Myky
CWNA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.

Sorry guys, I got called away...

I built a test SSID and had just one client, this PC. There was NO change in the slow thru-put, about 15 down on a 40 down network. So it seems it is NOT overloading of the AP.

What the heck is throttling the AP?? I can see it, it is in the same room...

Hello @plongson,

Did you disable the guest portal?

Have you tried with 0 clients connected to the UAP?

Throughput test results?

Regards,

Glenn R.

I disabled the all ssid's guest and otherwise. I built an SSID called "TEST", waited and logged on with just this ONE PC. ran an OOKLA and Googlefiber speed test and the results were dismal. There were NO clients connected during the test and the results were about 15 down on this 40 down network.

Also, to be honest Glen, I do not know how to do a thru-put test using Ubiquiti or what Ubiquiti devices are needed.

I have the controller, Ubt router, ubt switch, ubt nanobeam, 2 ubt AP's and 2 ubt nanostations

Can I perform a ubt speed test with what I have? 

Kudos: 395
Solutions: 104

Sounds odd. Have you tested with a different wireless client? (this way we can rule out an issue with the client itself?).
Thanks,
Myky
CWNA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.

Hello @plongson,

I believe you can just run the test with a UAP.

Open the APP connect to the controller and run the throughput test.

Regards,

Glenn R.

THANKS for all your help today everyone!! I'm gonna quit for the day and hit again tomorrow. 

One last question though, should I see the 40/2 speed on these AP's if everything is correct? 40/2 sure does not seem excessive and 13 clients shouldn't be too many for one to handle...correct??

You might see me tomorrow...

Don't forget the underlying wired connections. Check for switch port speed and duplex matches. Test or replace the uplink cable from the AP. Try testing from multiple wireless clients, one at a time, with all other clients disabled while testing on one.