Scheduled maintenance: Community available only in read-only mode until 6:00 AM (PT)
Kudos: 3

Install Unifi on Ubuntu Desktop 18.04 LTS - Complete

I was looking for complete instructions on the process of installing and running Unifi in it's current state, version 5.6.37 on Ubuntu. With the newest LTS just rolling out it seemed opportune to figure it all out.  I will warn you now that I am not a linux user, but I think you'll find this approach pretty easy to follow and effective.  This is bare bones instructions, hope they work for you!

Start with a fresh install of Ubuntu Desktop 18.04LTS

1. Go to the ubnt.com download page and click to download the debian/ubuntu package. 
  2. Open it using the default applications installer.
  3. Open terminal and enter:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer
    cd /usr/bin
    sudo mv mongod mongod.bin
    sudo gedit mongod
  4. Enter the following into the text editor*: 
    #!/bin/bash
    cleaned_args=$(echo $* | sed -e 's/--nohttpinterface//')
    exec /usr/bin/mongod.bin ${cleaned_args}
  5. Go to chrome.com and download and install chrome, the same way you installed Unifi in step 2.
  6. I rebooted, you may not need to, but now open chrome and go to https://localhost:8443
That should be it, this is the most efficient way I could figure to get everything happy. I'll read this again when I'm awake to make sure I didn't skip anything I did. Maybe duplicate the process on a virtual machine and get screenshots. In the meanwhile, I hope this helps someone, because I had a heck of a time putting all the pieces together. I don't have cloud connect working, but I remember running across that in my journey. So I'll update and get that into here tomorrow.

*This part may not be necessary, I was a bit tired and forgot to try opening the website with Chrome. Which is the only browser that plays nice with Unifi. So if someone tries it before I get back to this, let me know! Luckily, it only takes a moment.
Highlighted

Re: Install Unifi on Ubuntu Desktop 18.04 LTS - Complete

[ Edited ]

It worked without reboot.

But I did a :

sudo service unifi restart

I also just followed this guide and did the installation through SSH instead of manual download:

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/220066768-UniFi-How-to-Install-Update-via-APT-on-Debian-or-U...

Update: I ran into problems after doing the initial setup in the web interface. Could not log in with the credentials that i just typed.  Checked the credentials in the database - It was correct. So I am now going back to 16.04 for now.

How did you view your password in the database to verify? That's not a process I'm familiar with.

Look at this post: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Password-reset/td-p/182435

mongo --port 27117
# in mongo's command line, do
use ace
db.admin.find() # To see the password. It's in plain text :´( .  

### To edit:
db.admin.update( { name: "administrator" }, {$set: { x_password: "<new password>" } } )  

[ Edited ]

Well these steps I knew, but it doesn't show your password in plain text, it shows you the hashed password. Apparently it's been a SHA-512 hash since version 5.2.9. 

it used to show -  x_password: PlainTextPass

it now shows -  x_shadow: SHA512Hash

Did you install an old version, or did you do other steps to view it in plain text?

Sorry about the double reply, I forgot to log out of my client account.

You are right, the password is encrypted on my new working installation. It must have been an old version or something. Just very weird as I just installed it from the repository. Could it be that I typed a wrong repository.

I followed your directions but can't get the site to come up in Chrome.

The only things that were seemingly different between your directions and what occurred is I applied updates to Ubuntu after installing.

The first thing that didn't work for me from your directions was the below command

sudo mv mongod mongod.bin

After rebooting a couple of times and retrying though I did get that to work as well.  Then I created the file wtih text editor, but page still won't display in Chrome.  I get 'The site can't be reached.'...'ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED'