Re: Intermittent connectivity loss with UAP-AC-PRO

[ Edited ]

I'm still having connection issues with the develop.4564 firmware.

The device I'm seeing the most evident issues with is a wireless printer -- a Canon MP620.

It's connection stats:

Channel 1 (11g)
Signal 79% (-58 dBm)
TX Rate 54 Mbps
RX Rate 54 Mbps
Power Save Not enabled

When I run a ping to it, I lose 5-10% of the packets:
--- 192.168.0.15 ping statistics ---
180 packets transmitted, 163 packets received, 9.4% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 3.186/5.482/46.887/3.671 ms
231 packets transmitted, 218 packets received, 5.6% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 3.128/5.157/47.760/3.196 ms

I'm pinging from my laptop (a Macbook Pro):

Channel	100 (11ac)
Signal	87% (-55 dBm)
TX Rate	217 Mbps
RX Rate	195 Mbps
Power Save	Not enabled

At the time of the ping, both my laptop and the printer were connected to the same AP.  I do have two UAP-AC-PRO APs in the house.  On both APs band steering and airtime fairness are off.  On the controller (5.0.7) Uplink Connectivity Monitor is off.

Let me know if any other information would be helpful.

Edited to add:

I pinged the contoller from my laptop with no packet loss over 350 tries.

I also pinged the printer from the controller:

320 packets transmitted, 303 packets received, 5.3% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 2.480/4.864/215.268/12.262 ms

So it would appear to be an issue with the printer's connection itself.  It is the only G device on my network, so I can't test another to see if that's the culprit.

One more edit:

I pinged the printer from the access point itself:

227 packets transmitted, 219 packets received, 3% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 2.295/3.714/12.891 ms
Kudos: 34
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

UBNT-jeff wrote:

All, @evharten, here is a firmware based on 3.7.6 that includes a default DTIM setting of 3: http://dl.ubnt-ut.com/uap2-dtim3.bin

I've found some other devices that use an unchangeable DTIM interval of 3. I actually did some extensive testing against a range of Access Points and found that high latency (in excess of 1 second) due to Apple's aggressive power-saving is pretty common, especially if the DTIM setting is kept at 1.

@UBNT-jeff do you happen to have one for the 3.4.x branch? I find the 3.4.x branch with the dtim setting of 3 is more stable than the current 3.7.x from a usage perspective. Running on a AC-LR incidentally.

Established Member
Kudos: 284
Solutions: 11

Can you add an option in the GUI to set the DTIM and beacon intervals via GUI? Seems like it wouldn't be hard to implement. Cisco, Linksys, etc. offer a lot of configuration options (DTIM, beacon, etc.).
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 4784
Solutions: 197

Yes, this is being added.

Want to try out new features or fixes before they're released as Stable? Sign up for Beta here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Signup-for-Beta-Access

Updated my Controller to version 5.0.7 last week (well, installed 5.0.7 onto a new Windows VM, and restored the backup from the old controller, then reset my 2 AP's with syswrapper.sh restore-default then (re)adopted them on the new controller). Once this had been done, and the AP's were back up and working I upgraded the firmware on my Lite from 3.4.18.3464 to 3.7.5.4969 (I left 3.4.18.3464 on my Pro at that time).

Over the last few days I have been noticing more and more that when I started to use my iPhone 6 (after being in standby / screen lock mode) that web pages would either not load, or load very slowly. A quick switch off of Wi-fi and then back on again seems to sort it. One time I was able to load up the Unifi app and connect to the controller and I think the phone was connected to the Lite AP (i.e the one with the latest firmware).

I have today (maybe a bad move) updated the firmware on the Pro (to match the Lite), to see if that makes any difference, and I also rebooted the Lite to give it a clean start. So will see what happens. I see there is a new firmware out that sets the DTIM to something more compatible with apple devices, so may try that is issues persist.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 879
Solutions: 21

@wkweksl For 3.4.x: http://dl.ubnt-ut.com/uap2-3.4.x-dtim3.bin

Want to try out new features or fixes before they're released as Stable? Sign up for Beta here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Signup-for-Beta-Access
Having connectivity issues? See: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
Kudos: 253
Solutions: 6

UBNT-jeff wrote:

All, @evharten, here is a firmware based on 3.7.6 that includes a default DTIM setting of 3: http://dl.ubnt-ut.com/uap2-dtim3.bin

I've found some other devices that use an unchangeable DTIM interval of 3. I actually did some extensive testing against a range of Access Points and found that high latency (in excess of 1 second) due to Apple's aggressive power-saving is pretty common, especially if the DTIM setting is kept at 1.

So far no disconnects, sometimes a bit slow reconnect, but no more lost connection.

Still drains battery a lot tho Man Wink but we are on the right track.
If it is DTIM related, how was the setting on the old UAP-AC ? since those do not show the problem Man Wink

Highlighted
Kudos: 5

[ Edited ]

I am the OP. This thread has become very active with a lot of interactions. People seemed to reporting all kinds of issues that are not really relevant to the issue that I reported. 

Question is: Has this issue been fixed? 

The way that I worked around the problem was creating two WLAN groups, since we have two SSIDs (one for employees, the other for guests), I put the guest SSID to WLAN group 1, and the regular SSID to WLAN group 2. Then per each AP, I assign the group 1 to 2G, and the other to 5G. This way, employees who only connect to the regular SSID will all be on 5G, and the guest users on 2G. It has been a year now and the connectivity loss issue has disappeared as I no longer receive Wifi-related complaints. Currently my controller is still v4.8.14 on RackSpace; my USG firmware is v4.2.11.4796630 (I found it very stable); and APs are running v3.4.18.3464.

A member in this thread mentioned that Apple's machines (MacBook Air and Pro) had dual-band issues; the workaround seems to support that opinion. Is any one else still experiencing this problem?

evharten wrote:

UBNT-jeff wrote:

So far no disconnects, sometimes a bit slow reconnect, but no more lost connection.

Still drains battery a lot tho Man Wink but we are on the right track.
If it is DTIM related, how was the setting on the old UAP-AC ? since those do not show the problem Man Wink

Correction on this, it still happens.

Just had an 169.x IP again, while it said connected, but no connectivity

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 4784
Solutions: 197

@evharten Thanks for letting us know.

UBNT-Brandon wrote:

@evharten Thanks for letting us know.

no problem, let me know when i can test again! love to get this problem tackled together with you guys! make the product an winner!

Emerging Member
Kudos: 9
Solutions: 3

[ Edited ]

Same problem here with a RPI using a wifi dongle, once in a while connectivity is lossed (not in the gui)) and the rpi gets a 169 adres. Pressing reconnect solves the problem. (but this is on an AC-LR, so could be other problem)

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 879
Solutions: 21

All,

Most of the intermittent connectivity issues lately seem to be isolated to the 2.4 GHz band. If any/all could report which band they are on when they get a 169.254.x.x address / see an exclamation point on WiFi, etc. that will help us determine where to focus our efforts. Thanks!

Having connectivity issues? See: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP

@UBNT-jeff Both of my APs are on 'Auto' channel with a channel width of HT20.  Currently one is on 1 and the other is on 6.

Based on my eyeballing of the strongest 'neighboring access points' I also tried channel 11 instead of 1, but to no effect. (Although now that I think about it, this may have been on the stable firmware release, not develop.4564.)

UBNT-jeff wrote:

All,

Most of the intermittent connectivity issues lately seem to be isolated to the 2.4 GHz band. If any/all could report which band they are on when they get a 169.254.x.x address / see an exclamation point on WiFi, etc. that will help us determine where to focus our efforts. Thanks!

Just had it again, and checked, according to the controller it was/is connected to 2.4Ghz.

Another piece of information that might help in your troubleshooting.

My MacBook Pro was not able to pass traffic on the LAN (or WAN, by extension) after I opened it -- it connected but couldn't get an IP from the router (instead settling for 169.254.x.x).  Even after I assigned it a valid static IP, it still could not talk to the LAN.

I tried restarting both APs from the controller software, but that didn't change anything.

Finally I just hard rebooted them (pulled their PoE connection, let them sit and think about what they've done for a minute or two) and when things came back up everything worked.  A ping of the router showed response times faster than yesterday when I was experiencing these issues and with far fewer lost packets:

--- 192.168.0.1 ping statistics ---
1309 packets transmitted, 1297 packets received, 0.9% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.438/4.174/274.022/11.774 ms

Interesting to note, while I was trying to figure out why my MacBook wouldn't connect, my iPhone was connected and passing traffic the whole time.  (I believe to the same AP... I should have confirmed before I rebooted the APs but did not.  They were sitting about a foot apart, so my guess is that they were connected similarly).

Another stat I've noticed (and this may not be relevant), but the 2G (and 5G, to an extent) radios are experiencing a high percentage of retried/dropped packets:

Basement AP: 5G
Channel	60,+1
Transmit Power	14 dBm (EIRP)
Tx Pkts/Bytes	412,674 / 462 MB
Rx Pkts/Bytes	255,295 / 316 MB
Tx Retry/Dropped	0.0% / 57.3%
Rx Retry/Dropped	0.0% / 0.3%

Basement AP: 2G
Channel 6 Transmit Power 14 dBm (EIRP) Tx Pkts/Bytes 2,670,680 / 1.67 GB Rx Pkts/Bytes 4,061,957 / 3.88 GB Tx Retry/Dropped 16.3% / 8.7% Rx Retry/Dropped 0.0% / 0.0%
Upstairs AP: 5G
Channel	60,+1
Transmit Power	6 dBm (EIRP)
Tx Pkts/Bytes	3,729,739 / 4.18 GB
Rx Pkts/Bytes	2,756,244 / 3.33 GB
Tx Retry/Dropped	0.0% / 6.4%
Rx Retry/Dropped	0.0% / 0.2%
Upstairs AP: 2G
Channel	1
Transmit Power	6 dBm (EIRP)
Tx Pkts/Bytes	3,673,130 / 2.24 GB
Rx Pkts/Bytes	6,470,883 / 6.48 GB
Tx Retry/Dropped	17.7% / 0.2%
Rx Retry/Dropped	0.0% / 0.0%

These stats were taken after an uptime of 53 minutes, althought judging from the bytes sent and received, I don't think these reset on reboot.

Kudos: 92
Solutions: 8

UBNT-jeff wrote:

@wkweksl For 3.4.x: http://dl.ubnt-ut.com/uap2-3.4.x-dtim3.bin

Hi @UBNT-jeff, did anything else change with this firmware? It seems to have broken my Fitbit Aria (scale) that is sadly 802.11b only... before testing this firmware it was working. I can try switching back to GA to confirm...

USG, UniFi AP AC Pro, UniFi US-8-150W, Unifi US-8
Kudos: 1

qiaohu wrote:

I am the OP. This thread has become very active with a lot of interactions. People seemed to reporting all kinds of issues that are not really relevant to the issue that I reported. 

Question is: Has this issue been fixed? 

The way that I worked around the problem was creating two WLAN groups, since we have to SSIDs (one for employees, the other for guests), I put the guest SSID to WLAN group 1, and the regular SSID to WLAN group 2. Then per each AP, I assign the group 1 to 2G, and the other to 5G. This way, employees who only connect to the regular SSID will all be on 5G, and the guest users on 2G. It has been nearly two months and the connectivity loss issue has disappeared as I didn't receive many Wifi-related complaints. Currently my controller is still v4.8.14 on RackSpace; my USG firmware is v4.2.11.4796630 (I found it very stable); and APs are running v3.4.18.3464.

A member in this thread mentioned that Apple's machines (MacBook Air and Pro) had dual-band issues; the workaround seems to support that opinion. Is any one else still experiencing this problem?

I had this problem occur on my laptop yesterday, fortunately I happened to be running Wireless Diagnostics (option-click the wifi icon). This wasn't on UniFi, but the vendor looked at it and said that the Mac roamed from 2.4GHz to 5GHz and failed to complete 802.1x authentication, but stayed connected. I've also seen this after a roam from 5GHz to 2.4GHz. So it's probably a) a client bug b) mitigated by having different SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

This was on a WPA-Enterprise network, but the same software, eapolclient, is used for PSK networks, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same thing getting stuck there. @forsethc that would explain why assigning an IP manually wouldn't work, it's at a layer below DHCP. Turning wifi off and on the laptop generally fixes this issue at least.

I'm going to file a bug with Apple on Monday, I encourage all OS X users to start Wireless Diagnostics and leave it running, when you have a problem it'll offer to create a report which you can then send to Ubiquiti and/or Apple and we can see if it's the same issue.

Kudos: 92
Solutions: 8

staze wrote:
Hi @UBNT-jeff, did anything else change with this firmware? It seems to have broken my Fitbit Aria (scale) that is sadly 802.11b only... before testing this firmware it was working. I can try switching back to GA to confirm...

@UBNT-jeff: Just reverted to the stock firmware included with 5.0.7, which is 3.7.5.4969, and that fixes my Fitbit Aria. So something else was adjusted with your DTIM 3 firmware (or the way the DTIM was adjusted didn't agree with the Aria)... =/ 

USG, UniFi AP AC Pro, UniFi US-8-150W, Unifi US-8
Kudos: 5

iOS 10 seems to think there's no SSID being broadcast and shows a "Security Recommendation". I'm on UAP-AC-PROs with 3.4.X firmware / UniFi 5.0.7

Lots of resets and most of IoT devices on the network keep losing connection requiring reconfiguration.

This is becoming a major pain UBNT. Any suggestions on rolling back?