Highlighted
Emerging Member
Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Is a UniFi controller required to maintain Wireless Uplink mesh transitions?

Is a UniFi controller required to maintain Wireless Uplink mesh transitions? For example if I have three AP and one goes down would the third be able to switch to the wired AP as it does when UniFi is running?

Trying to figure out if I actually need a controller on site for these. Not using anything that would require one but this question was raised.

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 449
Solutions: 116

Re: Is a UniFi controller required to maintain Wireless Uplink mesh transitions?

So if you are asking this:

UAP 1 is wired. UAP 2 wirelessly uplinks to UAP 1, UAP wirelessly uplinks to UAP 2. UAP 2 goes down, will UAP 3 wirelessly connect to UAP 1?

If UAP 1 is in range of UAP 3, yes this will work and no the controller does not have to be running. You can even manually (and probably should if they are both in range) configure the priority that UAP 3 uses to uplink.

View solution in original post

Kudos: 216
Solutions: 75

Re: Is a UniFi controller required to maintain Wireless Uplink mesh transitions?

I have a site with two wired ac-m, working as wireless uplinks for 4 other ac-m. Like previously suggested, the wireless downlinked APs have manual assigned priority for their uplinks (2 to AP 1, 2 to AP2), and their 2nd priority is the remaining uplink. This way one wired AP works as a fail over should the other go down (or in times of FW updates). The failovers and recovery happen on their own without controller interactions fairly quickly, however clients may still see an interruption of internet connectivity

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 4052
Solutions: 1043

Hello @maxburn,

I'm not 100% sure if that will work.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Kudos: 449
Solutions: 116

So if you are asking this:

UAP 1 is wired. UAP 2 wirelessly uplinks to UAP 1, UAP wirelessly uplinks to UAP 2. UAP 2 goes down, will UAP 3 wirelessly connect to UAP 1?

If UAP 1 is in range of UAP 3, yes this will work and no the controller does not have to be running. You can even manually (and probably should if they are both in range) configure the priority that UAP 3 uses to uplink.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

Thanks, that's what I was wondering and good tip on the priority.

Kudos: 216
Solutions: 75

I have a site with two wired ac-m, working as wireless uplinks for 4 other ac-m. Like previously suggested, the wireless downlinked APs have manual assigned priority for their uplinks (2 to AP 1, 2 to AP2), and their 2nd priority is the remaining uplink. This way one wired AP works as a fail over should the other go down (or in times of FW updates). The failovers and recovery happen on their own without controller interactions fairly quickly, however clients may still see an interruption of internet connectivity