Kudos: 18
Solutions: 8

Is it possible to use a UCK G2 as a general IT platform ?

Hello,

I've very recently discovered UCK G2.

Is it either legally or technically possible or recommended to use it as a general IT platform (as its PoE Powered Device capability and its upgradability are not so common) ?

If doing I would, if possible, keep the OS as-is and stop services I don't need so that I could still upgrade and factory reset it.

Of course, doing so I won't bother UBNT support teams for issues I would meet.

Does anyone have done this ? Was it successful ? difficult ?

Best regards

SuperUser
Kudos: 5255
Solutions: 1751

Re: Is it possible to use a UCK G2 as a general IT platform ?

Legally possible? I haven't seen any language in the documents that prohibit such use. You should always consult an attorney for legal advice, though.

Technically possible? Yes.

Recommended? If it's the best performance for your dollar, why wouldn't you use it? If you're comfortable with embedded Linux CLI, go for it. Let us know what develops! Man Happy
I did it my way .... Man Happy
Highlighted
Kudos: 721
Solutions: 16

The biggest issue is that firmware (not controller) updates to the cloudkey will wipe out your modifications to the system. You'll basically be fozen at whatever firmware you were using when you created the deployment.

Kudos: 3

Hello,

I run pihole, the 5.10.5 beta controller and an ntp server on it. I havent had any issues but there hasnt been an fw release lately to absolutely prove it will wipe all my pihole stuff. Will see what happens the next fw update I suppose.

Thanks,

Peppernip!