Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Kudos: 1

Re: Is there a way to get public IP address of an AP?

If your controller is public facing, then yes you can do as you suggest, but for many of us, the wifi network we manage sits behind a public facing router that someone else manages.
Established Member
Kudos: 472
Solutions: 49

[ Edited ]

@Foxsprings wrote:
If your controller is public facing, then yes you can do as you suggest, but for many of us, the wifi network we manage sits behind a public facing router that someone else manages.

It's true that my suggestion only works if you have a USG managing your internet connection.

But the AP itself doesn't have a public IP address. The public IP is assigned by the NAT device (typically the router). If you don't have a way to ask the router what it is, then you have to ask something on the public internet to tell you what address it is seeing as your source address.

After a little googling, I found web site htttp://ipv4.me which seems intended to give you exactly that. However, when I try it, while it gives a plausible address, it isn't the same address that the controller tells me. (They are both in the the 24.62.x.x range.) I don't know the reason for the difference.

Kudos: 12
Solutions: 2

I tried the terminal solution, but I've only ever had the controller terminal work a handful of times to AP's. However, I was able to download what looks like the info that used to be available in the file by clicking on the AP -> Config then at the very bottom download device info. Near the top of the json file is a line called "connect_request_ip".  That is the external IP that the AP is trying to connect from.  So if your controller and AP are internal it will likely show the local IP, but if the controller is external then it will show what IP the AP is trying to connect from which is the external IP.

Highlighted
Kudos: 449
Solutions: 8

On site click on USG

Go Config - Manage Device - Download device info

Open with Notepad ++

You find this ! :  "connect_request_ip" : "94.69.xxx.xxx" , 

[ Edited ]

Hi, just in case folk were looking on a linux system or cloud key, you need to go to /user/lib/unifi/logs and look at the server.log file, you will identify the AP by its alias name, and you will also see its local lan address and the wan address its coming from. Might need to get a root shell to get there, ie sudo /bin/bash

Cyril