Scheduled maintenance: Community available only in read-only mode until 6:00 AM (PT)
Kudos: 37

Just curious- Ruckus vs Unifi?

I'm just curious, have any of you any experience with ruckus in a home, such as their wave 2 R710? Was just wondering since it's very highly suggested over any others in my circles, if anyone has any comparisons or pros/cons vs Unifi. Their specs offer a lot of interesting things with their antennas and was further wondering compared to my Unifi HD's, if there really is a difference in speed, range, etc.

Not completely unhappy with the HD's. They work. This is just informational.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 950
Solutions: 330

Re: Just curious- Ruckus vs Unifi?

I never heard of them, but just doing a quick google search and checking the price range's, I think unifi is a better bang for your buck.

I don't disagree. I guess my question should have been rephrased - cost aside. I'm wanting to know if there is really any significant, or any, betterment over the Unifi range? They talk about interference mitigation and higher powers etc. range is also supposed to be huge. At least that's what I'm told and reading.
Veteran Member

Range is more dependent on the client then the access point. If the client can't reach the access point it doesn't matter how far the signal on the access point can reach, thats just a marketing gimmick IMO. But the other features do seam convenient if they work. But with the different brands of access points I have worked with I've never found any of them to correctly pick a channel to deter interference. But I have never used them but would be interested to hear what others that have experience with them have to say.
SuperUser
Kudos: 4678
Solutions: 1060

I have comprehensive experience of both UniFi and Ruckus as well as systems from other manufacturers. Which is to be expected as a freelance installer and system designer. I wouldn't get into a debate on the merits of one versus the other on here though for obvious reasons.

UK Comms & Links Engineer.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
Veteran Member

@Fireblade Is Ruckus a west coast thing? I see their out of California. Never ran into one on the east coast.
Veteran Member

I just noticed your from UK, guess that above comment doesn't apply to you Man Wink

I can appreciate that. However at 5x the cost I don't think it's a direct comparison. No doubt Unifi AP's work well generally. I'm just wondering if in fact there is that much improvement for the extra dollars? Wondering also what their $100" controller does that we don't do (perhaps yet)
SuperUser
Kudos: 8761
Solutions: 1491

'wassy', I'm not sure if this is a useful comparision.

No matter what the feature set, a 5X price difference

seems to make that product completely different. If

they have a particular special feature you must have,

that's your choice, but you haven't mentioned any.

And as mentioned, access points generally are similar

in coverage--because it's the client that determines the

quality of the link in nearly every case.

Ruckus does have one special feature you should know

about: they have licenses which are to be paid 'forever'.  Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com
SuperUser

@goldlineIT wrote:
@Fireblade Is Ruckus a west coast thing? I see their out of California. Never ran into one on the east coast.

They are international thought that everyone had heard of them.

Not so long ago they were bought out by Brocade to add wireless to the armoury.

Quality gear, well made but does need licences unless the device comes under an 'Unleashed' programme.

Known to some of the irreverent here as Barking Dog, see the logo.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

Highlighted

Lol. Yes this is true @Dave-D. As does Cisco miraki etc. that's kind of where I was going with this- despite the support costs for enterprise, are they worth that much more? I know it's subjective. As for range, I don't agree that they are generally similar. For years I've read thousands of reviews in consumer products from asus, Apple, netgear etc. Some see massive range and speeds while others don't and in many cases same client same infrastructure and same home/business.

For my purposes I'm asking from a speed point of view with secondary range consideration. For example ruckus recommends 25 AP's per 100,000 sq feet. That's 1 per 4000 square feet. I don't think a Unifi AP can do that (if ruckus actually can accomplish that unless it's wide open space). Having a Unifi hd above my head yields me 350-400mbs speed. No better then my AirPort Extreme. And much much closer. Tried it at a little distance and gets worse from there. The purpose of my going hd was the wave 2 and hire speed from them. I have gained a little but not consistent with advertising or what I think it should and could accomplish.
SuperUser

Ruckus also have sister brand called Xclaim that is a cloud based system and is priced more favourably. The outdoor Xo-1 is very impressive as an AP.

Over here in the England 2 of the major UniFi agents also market Ruckus and Netonix as well in their range. I get asked to install all manner of kit along the way. Some good and some not so good. Its a matter of opinion.

SuperUser

[ Edited ]

So this is really a complaint about UniFi.

I covered an entire 300,000sqft. warehouse with under

25 UAP radios. I'd call that 'open space' for the most

part. It's 1/3 of the number of radios you cite for Ruckus.

I've never used Ruckus; I easily beat out that product

for another smaller warehouse when I pointed out that

they would pay more to start and then pay that same

amount again in licensing fees over the next six years.   Dave

UBNT.NH@gmail.com

understood @Dave-D

thank you!

Kudos: 176
Solutions: 13

Ruckus is owned by Arris who aquired most of motorola's stuff a while back, so it is a well known brand. Most of their stuff is higher priced, last I looked required a hardware controller and licenecing costs yearly...

The ubnt unifi is licence free, you can use a software controller even though they do have a cloud key in case you don't want an entire server and are cheaper...

I have never setup any Ruckus yet, but I have ripped quite a few out... There is some good features they do have but I think for the most part ubnt has most of those features covered... 

I did have to laugh at Ruckus at one point because locally one guy told me I use use their stuff to replace my backhaul... I read up on the specs and I was like why would I replace it with something that had worse specs than an M5 Rocket and 3ft dish... I ended up going the UBNT AC route for that link which has now been upgraded to airfiber...

Thanks. Not sure ruckus was owned by Arris. They are now owner by Brocade.

So, yes my HD's work. I did notice a little delay in getting websites today but neglibke and first time it happened. Price point there is no comparison. Feature wise, I'm not tech expert when it comes to terms but seems you are right they offer most of what the ruckus does. Just wondering if those couple extra bits make it that much better. Think I got my answers. Thanks all.
SuperUser

Since buying Ruckus there has been a twist as Brocade are now owned by Broadcom. Go figure.

Kudos: 34
Solutions: 1

@Dave-D wrote:

@Dave-D no license (or controller) needed with their Unleashed line

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1370
Solutions: 238

@dengkai wrote:

@Dave-D wrote:

@Dave-D no license (or controller) needed with their Unleashed line

@dengkai but Unleashed does require a maintenance contract, correct?

Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
The thread on our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here, also check out our Captive Portal solutions for UniFi.
SuperUser

I'd put a required perpetual 'maintenance contract' in the

same realm as perpetual licences. In my case, the client

was offered the ability to monitor and manage his own

access points online if he kept the 'maintenance contract'

current. If he did not, he lost all access to his own radios.   Dave

UBNT.NH@gmail.com