Kudos: 92
Solutions: 1

Re: Just curious- Ruckus vs Unifi?

[ Edited ]

Brocade aquired Ruckus.

Then recently Broadcom aquired Brocade and divested by selling off Ruckus and the Brocade Network switching line to Arris.

Broadcom held on to the Brocade storage switching technology.  

In my experience Ruckus would compete more with Cisco, Aruba, etc in the large and Medium Enterprise world where full support and service contracts are required by those types of enterprises.   But they are also very popular in very high end residential jobs with providers who do automation systems like Crestron and Savant systems.    Where the clients are very wealthy and won't bat an eye at Ruckus costs.

Unifi is going to be more appropriate in the SMB and Medium Size business areas where the those business may outsource the IT to a 3rd party that may manage the Unifi infrastructure for them so as to realize the cost savings that Unifi offers, but not be affected by the general lack of support that UBNT offers.  Unifi is also popular with Residential IT providers.  

Unifi, is obviously trying to branch out and compete more with Cisco Meraki with their new Unifi Elite offering, it will be interesting to see how well that does, as it definitely takes them out of the super price consicous roots.  

Ruckus, does as others have stated have some patented technology like BeamFlex Antenna's, which apparently works very well.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1356
Solutions: 235

Apparently some members in this thread ( @jb_008 for one) are clairvoyant... The press release on the acquisition of Ruckus by Arris is dated Feb 22nd, 2017, in the midst of our discussions here...Icon Smile

https://www.ruckuswireless.com/press/releases/20170222-arris-acquire-ruckus-wireless-and-icx-switch-...

Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
The thread on our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here, also check out our Captive Portal solutions for UniFi.
Kudos: 176
Solutions: 13

See maybe I was not crazy and did see something on their site... Maybe someone jumped the gun and uploaded a new site but took it down after... who knows at this point, but that is kind of funny.
Established Member
Kudos: 981
Solutions: 27

@jb_008 

This is probably what you saw: http://www.arris.com/products/ruckus-zonedirector-wireless-lan-controller/

Arris has been a Ruckus reseller for quite some time. The Brocade acquisition by Arris will happen after Broadcom's acquisition of the former is finalized.

Omar 

Omar Vazquez - Consultant | Trainer
Dot11 Pro

Kudos: 13

We sell (are partners with) Extreme, Ruckus, HPE/Aruba, Cisco/Meraki and we also sell Ubiquiti.

Each has their pros/cons and it would be virtually impossible to run through them in a short post.

What I would say is we have good luck with all of them and they all will work well given the right scenario.

For your house, I think it is tough to beat UBNT given the price.

-A

Are you able to give me a bit more insight into these vendors? We are currently looking to implement a medium sized apartment with WiFi and are being directed to Meraki or Ruckus gear. I am curious to hear of your experience.

Kudos: 13

All are good.

Are you putting the AP's in the apartments or hallways?  Direct message me if desired.

Kudos: 1

I own both and  Ruckus  really deals  with  interference  better.  The  Ruckus  in stand alone  mode is  not as flexible as the Unifi  in  my  opinion  

SuperUser
Kudos: 11466
Solutions: 700
Contributions: 1

@Scuba1900 wrote:

I own both and  Ruckus  really deals  with  interference  better.  The  Ruckus  in stand alone  mode is  not as flexible as the Unifi  in  my  opinion  

Interesting - we have one site where they want us to replace a number of Ruckus APs with UniFi because the performance is so bad...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
"It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
"Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should."my mantra in the Programming classes I used to teach once upon a time...
SuperUser
Kudos: 4661
Solutions: 1056

[ Edited ]

Must have the Ruckus set up badly and thats hard to do is all I can say to that. I have installed both over the years. Both systems have their appeal. Here I wear a UniFi hat but not averse to Barking Dog systems.

UK Comms & Links Engineer.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
Kudos: 3

Wow, I would never beleive that. UniFi is good in its place. If Ruckus isn't perforiming though, UniFi isn't going to fix it. 

What model Ruckus gear are we talking, how old?

Highlighted
Kudos: 1

That is my opion to. Ill have a Ruckus r500 and had for a while the Unifi AC- pro. The r500 whas much faster in reconnecting true the internet. And it feals a lot snappiar with the Ruckus. Bud it cost also 3,5 times moreMan Wink

No, it works fine without a maintenance contract unless you need maintenance.   Software updates work.  

Kudos: 5

if the ruckus price competitive as unifi for sure ruckus will definitely win. i have existing ruckus the performace is more robust.