Kudos: 2
Accepted Solution

LAN IP Address and basic setup

Networking is not one of my skill sets so I am not sure about these settings.

First of all, I have a linksys router with a static IP of 192.168.29.1. Then I have 2 AP's on 192.168.29.1 range. I added the Unifi's to get coverage for 6000 square feet. There are about 20 devices hardwired and wireless, iPhones, iPads, Sonos, TV's, etc. I was hoping these would pass off as you moved around. I used the same SSID for the router and AP's.

When I go into settings / network, I have LAN Coporate 192.168.1.1/24. I dont know the purpose for this. If I ping this IP there is no repsonse. Should I create a new LAN using the 192.168.29.1?

Does this setup make sense or should I replace the EA9500 with a AC Pro and ethernet switch and have all Unifi's? If so would I plug the Cable modem into the AC Pro and then AC Pro to my netgear switch and it would manage DHCP?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solutions: 1

Re: LAN IP Address and basic setup

[ Edited ]

WOW!

Ok, so i think you need some basic knowledge to achieve your goals. Let me try to help you out, and maybe you can get going.

The LAN setup is only there for utilizing if you have a UniFi LAN Router device, such as a Router like their USG(UniFi Security Gateway), with you only using 2 AP's that secition is not really relivant to you. You configuration should be pretty simple :

1. Plug up the APs in your switch, which is getting DHCP from your router, whether it is the LINKSYS or the cable modem, and make sure they are connect to the same network as the controller and the router of your network, in this case your Linksys
  2. Open the controller application and adopt the 2 AP's this will make them programmable by that controller
  3. Under settings, go to wireless and create a new wireless network, give it the same SSID and keycode as your current wireless and open the advance settings under the new wireless and ensure you are using the same encryption as well.
  4. Once you hit save on the creation of the wireless network, the controller will start to provision the AP's with the settings you just gave it.
  5. Make sure the APs are getting IPs in the subnet your router is in so they should get something 192.168.29.X

This should pretty much be what you need.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Kudos: 166
Solutions: 24

Welcome!

Configuring multiple APs for good performance and roaming behavior can be tricky.  For starters:

• Ensure that each of the three APs (Linksys & Unifi) are using different channels.  This requires NOT using "Auto", which is the Unifi default, and instead selecting channels explicitly.  The 2.4 GHz channels should be 1, 6, and 11.  The 5 GHz channels just need to not be the same, although you should avoid the channels marked "DFS".
  • Set the transmit power to Medium on 5 GHz and Medium or Low on 2.4 GHz. The default of "Auto" currently just sets everything to High, which causes performance anomolies and roaming misbehavior when the device receives a strong signal from the AP but the AP receives a weak signal from the device.
  • Set channel width to 20 MHz.  If all works well and you need higher per-device speed, try 40 MHz on the 5 GHz band only.

People in these forums are friendly, so come on back with any additional questions.  Also let us know how it goes.

-- Pete

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

WOW!

Ok, so i think you need some basic knowledge to achieve your goals. Let me try to help you out, and maybe you can get going.

The LAN setup is only there for utilizing if you have a UniFi LAN Router device, such as a Router like their USG(UniFi Security Gateway), with you only using 2 AP's that secition is not really relivant to you. You configuration should be pretty simple :

1. Plug up the APs in your switch, which is getting DHCP from your router, whether it is the LINKSYS or the cable modem, and make sure they are connect to the same network as the controller and the router of your network, in this case your Linksys
  2. Open the controller application and adopt the 2 AP's this will make them programmable by that controller
  3. Under settings, go to wireless and create a new wireless network, give it the same SSID and keycode as your current wireless and open the advance settings under the new wireless and ensure you are using the same encryption as well.
  4. Once you hit save on the creation of the wireless network, the controller will start to provision the AP's with the settings you just gave it.
  5. Make sure the APs are getting IPs in the subnet your router is in so they should get something 192.168.29.X

This should pretty much be what you need.

Thanks for your reply. I guess I stumbled thru this and have the 2 AP connected properly. I just swapped out the router and was trying to adjust the sensitivity to overlap the AP's when I ran across the LAN setting which confused me. Thanks for the clarification. This is the sysconfig so I guess everything is working properly.

Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 2.37.01 PM.png

Highlighted
Kudos: 166
Solutions: 24

Welcome!

Configuring multiple APs for good performance and roaming behavior can be tricky.  For starters:

• Ensure that each of the three APs (Linksys & Unifi) are using different channels.  This requires NOT using "Auto", which is the Unifi default, and instead selecting channels explicitly.  The 2.4 GHz channels should be 1, 6, and 11.  The 5 GHz channels just need to not be the same, although you should avoid the channels marked "DFS".
  • Set the transmit power to Medium on 5 GHz and Medium or Low on 2.4 GHz. The default of "Auto" currently just sets everything to High, which causes performance anomolies and roaming misbehavior when the device receives a strong signal from the AP but the AP receives a weak signal from the device.
  • Set channel width to 20 MHz.  If all works well and you need higher per-device speed, try 40 MHz on the 5 GHz band only.

People in these forums are friendly, so come on back with any additional questions.  Also let us know how it goes.

-- Pete

Hi Pete.

I spread the channels on the 2.4 and 5 ghz radios  as suggested and reduced the power settings. I had them on high. Looks like everything is working smoothly now.

Thanks for your help.

ED