Large Warehouse Design

Hi everyone! Hoping to get just a little insight here.  I have a quote I am working on, and the warehouse is about 175k sqft.  I have built different heat maps and just curious if I am going about this right.  I am thinking of doing 8 or 9 AP-AC-Mesh Pro's. (I am calculating with -68dBm). Because the length of the building I will be using fiber between my switch distribution points, but I will be able to run CAT6 to the AP's.  

I know 2.4ghz will be where most of the devices live at, (i think they will have tablets/writst rockets) for inventory and scanning purposes.  So I do not think everyone will be in need of 5Ghz out in the warehouse.  I planned for a few Smaller AC-Mesh (we call them Plankton - Spongebob reference) devices just in case. I could plan on AC Pro but not sure I will need too.  

The ceilings are rather high, 40+ ft so some of them we will mount high and others on a mezanine that runs through the middle. (I would like to be able to access them easily).  The mezanine is about 20 ft off the ground. and can over look both portions of the warehouse.  They will eventually have top to bottom shelving, but I think I will have to tackle that challenge when we get that full.

Any way just wanted to see what you all thought. I appreciate any feedback and as always thank you!

Kudos: 59
Solutions: 28

Re: Large Warehouse Design

If you're going to be able to run cables to all the AP locations, why do a mesh system? I would recommend nanoHD if they'll all be wired

I didnt see have the NanoHD's to overlay on the heatmap, didn't even think of that. I guess I could use the AP-SHD for a similar comparison.  I am thinking mounting from the ceiling may be best incase any equipment or shelving gets stacked infront of the walls.  I'll try that thanks for the help!

Kudos: 4509
Solutions: 1171

Hello @laolsen,

Do you have pictures and floor plans of the building?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Highlighted

I do, but the dimensions are 385ft x 450ft.  The building is all metal and has a mezanine running the full length right in the middle of the building.  

Kudos: 4509
Solutions: 1171

Hello @laolsen,

You might want to look at the UAP AC M PROs or UAP AC M with UMA-D antenna.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Kudos: 171
Solutions: 33

What is going to be in the warehouse? Metal pallet racks, Wine barrel Racks, etc., would complicate the install significantly

Metal Pallet Racks

Kudos: 171
Solutions: 33

This new information is likely to have some, to substantial effects, on how your signal will propagate though out the warehouse dependent on their placement and density.

Metal racks are often very good at filtering the signal so a detailed examination of their planed placement needs to be carefully considered.

Obviously racks come in many different flavors and the details of such will be another factor to consider as to how much of an obsticle they create.

@AmazedMender16 I had originally started with the UAP AC M Pros, but had not looked into the UMA-D antenna. I will look at that now. Have not had that kind of a combination yet.

@lcire1 They will be almost the entire warehouse.  Most will be very close to floor to ceiling.  Some horizontal, the others vertical.  Probably six foot spacing for small 1 man forklifts.

Once they are filled, I am thinking I would need a WAP for every 2 isles.