Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Kudos: 2
Accepted Solution

Lock a network client to a specific AP device?

[ Edited ]

I have 2 APs in my home.  One downstairs (UAP-AC-PRO) is wired and the other (UAP-PRO) is wirelessly uplinked.  The wireless uplink is temporary until I can figure out how to get cable run to it (upstairs).  But it may be a while before that happens.  And my wife can't get a signal on her laptop upstairs without this second AP so it needs to be in place in this manner right now.  But when I go up there and my laptop switches to the upsairs UAP-PRO my speed drops significantly.  I want it to stay connected to the UAP-AC-PRO downstairs and not make the switch.  Is this possible?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Established Member
Kudos: 916
Solutions: 85
Contributions: 1

Re: Lock a network client to a specific AP device?

an option to lock down a device to a specific AP existed several versions ago and was removed. It seems Ubiquiti is thinking on returning it on some future update, no ETA on that, but implemented on a smarter way.

at this moment, there's no option on that besides doing some manual configuration with different SSIDs just like i told you. Of course doing that on a 100's AP network is impossible, but on your 2 APs network, that's pretty straightforward and will do the job !!

Solutti Tecnologia Ltda - Goiânia/Goiás/Brazil
www.solutti.com.br / www.wifiquefunciona.com.br
Ubiquiti Enterprise Wireless Admin (UEWA) certified
did my answer helped you ? if yes, i would love your kudos on it Man Happy

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member

As we're speaking on just 2 APs, we can use some 'manual' approaches that wouldnt work on some other network with hundreds of APs.

In your case, i would simply get 2 SSIDs, one for downstairs and other one for upstairs. Get into the APs configuration and disable one SSID on each of the APs, leaving the downstair SSID on the downstairs AP and the upstair SSID on the upstairs one.

After that, you can simply connect to the desired SSID and moving into the house will not roam between APs.

Thanks @leonardogyn I'll probably try this.  I'll have to think through which devices are setup to conect to my original SSID that may be affected.  But this should work.  I was hoping to hear there was some controller configuration setting I could apply to the client.  But I guess not. 

Highlighted
Established Member

an option to lock down a device to a specific AP existed several versions ago and was removed. It seems Ubiquiti is thinking on returning it on some future update, no ETA on that, but implemented on a smarter way.

at this moment, there's no option on that besides doing some manual configuration with different SSIDs just like i told you. Of course doing that on a 100's AP network is impossible, but on your 2 APs network, that's pretty straightforward and will do the job !!

I'd like to see this implemented too. Unfortunately, we got poor results when our computers and Apple TVs were on different SSIDs. No idea why they seemed to perform worse, but the SSID workaround won't work for us.

Established Member
Kudos: 326
Solutions: 62

Just wanted to Bump this thread and see if there were any new insights to this? I am looking for an easy way to lock a device (wall thermostats) to their closest AP if possible, without creating a new WLAN.

Kudos: 3

+1 on the bump to the thread.

Similar situation in a residential setting where I have two AC Lite's with physical uplinks located on opposite sides of the house to maximize coverage.  Problem is that coverage is still semi-weak in the basement and I have a Roku device that will still roam between the two AP'sfrom time to time and struggles to stream HD video when not on a particular AP AND connected on the 5Ghz spectrum.

I've tried a couple different methods, including a seperate SSID with all 2Ghz rates disabled but it seems to ignore that and will still connect on 2Ghz if needed...assuming this is because of some sort of protocol compliance thing.

In short...would love to be able to bind a client to an AP and spectrum.  I know the AP binding is a feature that used to exist in prior controller versions that is being proposed to come back but would also love to fix the spectrum thing as well.  Even if I could only do that, it would theoritically fix the issue b/c the non-preferred AP is physically distant enough that it should find the preferred AP if only on 5Ghz.

Thanks in advance...

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1370
Solutions: 238

@edillenback Using a dedicated SSID with only 5GHz associated should work. Apparantly something is wrong with your config. Please share exactly how you configured this, supported with screenshots.

Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
The thread on our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here, also check out our Captive Portal solutions for UniFi.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 15
Solutions: 2

Dang, here I got all excited reading this thread title.  I have some devices that really dislike connecting to the AP which is a few feet away from them, and insist on connecting to the AP which is 20x the distance and 2 walls away.  Very frustrating.  Ultimately it is probably some weird device issue, but it sure would be nice if I could fix it with an AP config.

-Eric

Established Member
Kudos: 584
Solutions: 157

@emichael wrote:

Dang, here I got all excited reading this thread title.  I have some devices that really dislike connecting to the AP which is a few feet away from them, and insist on connecting to the AP which is 20x the distance and 2 walls away.  Very frustrating.  Ultimately it is probably some weird device issue, but it sure would be nice if I could fix it with an AP config.

-Eric

in your case, minirssi should work in that the AP will kick the device below a certain threshold. The device will then automatically connect back to the closer one.

If you have the far signal also cranked up to 1000% then both will look attractive to the device and connect to either. You need to make the far away one less attractive by lowering the signal power to compensate (along with mini-rssi where needed).

Help the community by marking issues as solved when they are!

If you need some help or just someone to bounce ideas off on a project, please send requests/details to:
consult@think-networks.com
Veteran Member

Please keep in mind that the success of minRSSI depends on client behavior. If a client is stubborn enough to keep connecting to a distant AP, that AP will stop kicking the device after X attempts.

If you search the forum you'll find tons of reports concerning "stubborn" devices...

Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
The thread on our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here, also check out our Captive Portal solutions for UniFi.
Kudos: 3

@slooffmaster Thanks for the support.  Nothing super fancy on the alternate SSID config.  I used stock values along with a "custom" profile on the 2G 802.11 rate configuration, setting everything to "disabled" and leaving the 5G rate control settings at the Default profile (screenshot below).  Only other option set is to not broadcast the SSID.

Your post prompted me to dig a bit deeper and I did manage to find where I can remove the 2nd SSID from the other (more distant) AP and effectively force devices on it to the other AP...which really just leaves the 2G rate control question.  2G can be ok most of the time on the preferred AP for this device but it's right on the edge and if it needs to burst too much will cause some lagging.

Let me know your thoughts and if I can provide any other config detail.  Thanks in advance.

snip_20170308004011.png

Veteran Member

@edillenback It will help if you can confirm signal stength from both sides and tell us what the physical conditions are such as walls in between the Roku and the AP. Also, check the channel utlization. Also which channels you're using and what the power levels are on the AP radios. Sharing the config summary would be useful.

Purely speculating at this point but an AC-LR might be a better option due to it's better antenna design.

Art of WiFi

+1 to see this feature restored. It would be very helpful 

I too have a similar issue with a headless appletv so would rather not have to remove it and add a new ssid then reinstall it as it’s a company setup and keeping the setup clean and without additional ssids floating around.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 4
Solutions: 1

The problem is that by using the same SSID across different AP's you are telling clients that they are all the same and OK to connect to. Clients decide where they want to connect, not the server. All the AP's can do is hint to the client via a soft kick that they shouldn't be on a particular AP, but if the client doesn't ultimately behave the way you want, there isn't much to be done aside from assigning a new SSID and using it.
Established Member
Kudos: 732
Solutions: 214

@wizardofoz wrote:

I too have a similar issue with a headless appletv so would rather not have to remove it and add a new ssid then reinstall it as it’s a company setup and keeping the setup clean and without additional ssids floating around.

use multple wlan groups with identical SSID settings.

enable MAC filtering in BLACK LIST mode.

add the clients to the list of the SSID in the group that is assigned to the AP you do not want them connecting to.