Highlighted

Lots of devices, small space. How would you...

We need to install WIFI in a small training room (about 50' x 30') in a stand-alone building.  The building has a 100Mbit connection to the data center and a POE switch with plenty of available ports.

The training room will regularly host up to 35 students with laptops, iPads, and mobile phones.

While one AP can easily cover the square footage, we're concerned about wireless bandwidth.

What's the best way to handle over 100 devices in such a small space?

Thanks for your input.

NoDough

Established Member
Kudos: 681
Solutions: 63

Re: Lots of devices, small space. How would you...

You can use either nanonHD or AP HD, you can see comparisons on https://unifi-nanohd.ubnt.com/
Links in my sig for some additional tests/info.
SuperUser
Kudos: 10507
Solutions: 641
Contributions: 1

And you're a perfect candidate to watch this about real-world WiFi capacity - https://youtu.be/HRhZniqyey8

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
Kudos: 48
Solutions: 4

@eejimm wrote:

And you're a perfect candidate to watch this about real-world WiFi capacity - https://youtu.be/HRhZniqyey8

Jim

You weren't kidding when you said this was going to be your stock answer to wifi questions!

This video is well worth watching to understand the technology and exactly how comparable to wired networking it isn't.

Looks like two good sources. No time to review tonight, but I'll definitely review both and respond to the thread.

Thanks.
NoDough

So, based on those resources here's my plan.

2 UAP NanoHDs

One at each end of the room

Manually configured to non-overlapping 2.4Ghz frequencies, low power

Manually configured to non-overlapping 5Ghz frequencies, low power

Each with a 100Mbps home run

What do you think?

Thanks.

Established Member

Sounds like a good plan. You may not need 2, but I think having 2 is still better than relying on 1. Don't mount the APs at ends of the room. Instead divide the ceiling in half and mount each AP in central to that divide, assuming it is like most training rooms I have seen and completely open without walls or high partitions. This way if one fails, you can still transfer all the users to other one. You will need to adjust TX power and set them on different 2G and 5G channels. Install latest UniFi Controller, load map of your room and place APs on it so you can see how the coverage will look like.

When you say 100Mbps home run, are you talking about internet connection or connection from AP to switch...cause that should be gigabit...CAT 5E or better. And test the cables to computers and iperf3, before you use them with APs.

@Jardin_Espanol wrote:
Sounds like a good plan. You may not need 2, but I think having 2 is still better than relying on 1. Don't mount the APs at ends of the room. Instead divide the ceiling in half and mount each AP in central to that divide, assuming it is like most training rooms I have seen and completely open without walls or high partitions. This way if one fails, you can still transfer all the users to other one. You will need to adjust TX power and set them on different 2G and 5G channels. Install latest UniFi Controller, load map of your room and place APs on it so you can see how the coverage will look like.

When you say 100Mbps home run, are you talking about internet connection or connection from AP to switch...cause that should be gigabit...CAT 5E or better. And test the cables to computers and iperf3, before you use them with APs.

Open training room.  No walls or partitions.

100Mbps home runs are to a switch.  Would love to replace that switch with a Gigabit switch, but I'm stuck with a switch provided by the folks that installed our desk phones.

Cables are all CAT6.

Thanks for helping!

NoDough

Established Member

Here is an alternative solution:
Due do sub gigabit capabilities of the switch, you may want to consider link aggregation. You will need an AP that has 2 ports and nanoHD only has one. AC Pro and AC HD have 2 ports. You may need two AC Pros but you will be okay with just 1 AP HD.

Watch this video for link aggregation with UniFi APs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjjIXokkY-Q