Kudos: 6

Re: Macbook Pro Tx Rate with UAP-AC-Pro

[ Edited ]

Howgol wrote:

@UBNT-Brandon The controller is definately set to United Kingdom (as it should be) but seeing Country Code DE reported by the MacBook Pro. The TX rate shown below is about as good as it ever gets.  

I'm located around 2 or 3m away from the UAP when seeing these (slightly better) results:

I observe similar behaviour. Can you try toggling Wi-Fi off on your MacBook Pro and then on (and immediately check to see the TX rate as your Mac connects)? I have observed that for a very brief period of time, my MacBook Pro will connect with a Tx rate of 1053 Mbps before dropping to 878 Mbps.

I am running 3.7.42.6543 with controller version 5.4.11 and do not see the wrong country code with my broadcasts.

UniFi AC Pro | UniFi AC Lite | EdgeRouter Lite | UniFi Switch 16 | UniFi Cloud Key
Kudos: 6

[ Edited ]

snapper wrote:

-Brent- wrote:

Hi,

I have noticed that devices connected to our AC-Pro seem limited in their Tx rate to 878 Mbps rather than 1300 Mbps. When testing the AC-Lite, devices were able to connect at the max rate of 867 Mbps. Additionally, testing the devices with the Aiport Extreme AC saw a 1300 Mbps Tx rate.

I see something very similer. 2015 Macbook Pro and AC-Pro running latest firmware will normally connect at 878. Occasionally higher.

The AP is about 10ft away.

When I put a Sophos AP100 in the same place (UAP is disconnected), I connect at 1300 every time.

That said, when running iperf3 between the Macbook and a Linux host on wired gigabit (using the same wiring / switch) the Sophos AP100 will drop down to 878, but UAP won't change.

Actual throughput between them both is around 430mbits/sec on 5ghz. i.e. the initial connect speed doesnt seem to matter to throughput.

Perhaps worth doing the same with the Airport Extreme to see what the throughput is?

Interesting observations with iperf3. When I had the Airport Extreme, I believe I received slightly higher throughput compared to the AC-Pros. However, there have been so many firmware updates to the AC-Pros since then that I would not be surprised if I would generate results similar to what you have found. Unfortunately, I no longer have the Airport Extreme, so I cannot run a benchmark comparison.

I also realised that the ThinkPads are 2x2 devices and not 3x3 like the MacBook Pro I have... so that would explain the ThinkPad's Tx rate, but not the Mac's.

Nonetheless, I'm curious to know what would cause this behaviour. I am in a low interference environment and have switched 5GHz channels and changed around power levels to no avail. It seems that other users are able to connect at 1300 Mbps when close, so perhaps there is an issue with the antenna as Brandon suggested.

UniFi AC Pro | UniFi AC Lite | EdgeRouter Lite | UniFi Switch 16 | UniFi Cloud Key
Emerging Member
Kudos: 19
Solutions: 2

I was never able to get 1300Mbps either, however I now have the new AP-AC-HD and can confirm that my MBP reports 1300Mbps 99% of the time. iperf3 tops at a bit over 700Mbps, which isn't too shabby. Seems that the HD is a better option if you can handle the near 3x price. The Pro's 878Mbps is still plenty fast, though.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 4812
Solutions: 197

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the report, -Brent- We'll be reaching out ( or have reached out already).

Thanks again,
Brandon

Want to try out new features or fixes before they're released as Stable? Sign up for Beta here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Signup-for-Beta-Access
Kudos: 2

-Brent- wrote:

I observe similar behaviour. Can you try toggling Wi-Fi off on your MacBook Pro and then on (and immediately check to see the TX rate as your Mac connects)? I have observed that for a very brief period of time, my MacBook Pro will connect with a Tx rate of 1053 Mbps before dropping to 878 Mbps.

I am running 3.7.42.6543 with controller version 5.4.11 and do not see the wrong country code with my broadcasts.

Yes, I saw 1053 Mbps very briefly before it dropped back to 878 Mbps.
As I've noted elsewhere, the Unifi controller does report higher TX rates for the laptop than the MacBook does itself. In the controller statistics is shows often between 975 Mbps and 1.3 Gbps TX rate for the laptop.

Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

I get similar behaviour with 2x mid 2016 UK purchased AC-Pros and a 2015 Macbook Pro.

Sat across the room from the AP, the connection is reported at 878Mbps. If I go and put the macbook right next to the AP, it may jump up to 1053, but next refresh it will be back at 878... With the other AP-Pro in the house, I get a max of 867Mbps, even right next to it... Both APs are on 3.7.39.6089 currently. The Unifi controller shows a TX rate of 1.3Gbps, RX rate of 878, matching what the macbook is reporting.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 14

Re the country code, I also get DE on my UK purchased and UK controlled UAP-AC-Pros.

Kudos: 1

None of my AP's seem to report a country code (2 x AC-Pro, 1 x Outdoor+). Wireless Diagnostics just shows a dash.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 7

Hi Randomusername, 

I have reached out to you, I will get this taken care of for you.

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem where I am unable to get my Apple MacBook Pro "Core i7" 2.5 15" Mid-2015 (DG) to stay connected at the 1300 mbps (3x3). It connects very briefly if I hold it a few feet then then falls back to 867.

I have a 5 pack of AC PROs that I purchased from Amazon in February. I can confirm this issue with all APs received. My test date is 08/10/2016. 

I can also confirm I receive 1300 mbps connection when I attempt to connect to an Apple Time Capsule that I used before acquiring the AC Pros.

I am in the USA.

Kudos: 23
Solutions: 2

Hey there,

Also seeing the same problem. Located in Australia.

Same issue, 878Mbps AP AC Pro and late 2015 MBPro, distance is 6ft (my desk is right under the AP). Latest firmware/OS on both.

Forgot, in USA.

@UBNT-Brandon, any updates on this? It seems more people are realizing the issue exists.

Ubiquiti Employee

I will be reaching out to each of you soon, I am looking for a solution, I have replaced one and it did fix the issue but does not seem to be an overall fix as it was not a fix for the rest. I will have something for you soon, I do apologize for the inconvenience. 

The exact issue here:

• Macbook Air
  • MacBook Pro touchbar
  • AP-AC-Pro x 2
  • Latest firmware on APs and controller

_mac air.pngmacbook pro transfer office.pngmacbook pro transfer tv room.png

same problem

new ac pro with macbook pro 2015

I seem to have the same problem in NL here. Country reports DE

Emerging Member

Another vote for same as problem here. 2013 MBP in the US

@UBNT-Corey was working with me on this. He requested that I RMA all five and he would send replacements so he could use mine as test units, but I haven't been able to reach him in several days. I performed the RMA but haven't received any word that the replacements have shipped.