Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 5

Re: Macbook Pro Tx Rate with UAP-AC-Pro

JHi Shawn, 

I have reached out off line to you.

I like how responsive the Ubiquity staff is here. However, an official online answer would really help the community as there are a number of us experiencing the same or similar issues.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 395
Solutions: 22
Contributions: 1

@kjartan Appreciate you following up- we are aware of a number of reports of this issue and we are working to reproduce this and identify the source of the problem here. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Kudos: 54
Solutions: 1

While my MacBook Pro and controller occasionally show 1.17G TX / controller (RX) , iperf3 always tops out at 430 MBit/s. -R is higher with around 520 to 550 MBit/s. But I don't think the UAP-AC-PRO will do much more than my -R speed. Looking at top on the AP while doing that iperf3 test, CPU/SoftIRQ are nearly maxed out, so...

I'm in Germany, but the MacBook does not show any Country Code. APs are from Amazon with 08/17/16 date, bought them a week ago.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 4660
Solutions: 194

Yes, that's close to the throughput you'll see on a UAP-AC-PRO. With a very capable station you'll maybe get to ~600mbps or perhaps 650mbps.

So a 2x2 11ac station will peak out around 400 or so mbps. And a 3x3 station (a Macbook Pro) will peak out around say 600 or so mbps.  It depends on network drivers of station, network, ambient noise, etc. as well.

So in short those numbers seem about right for an AC-PRO. It will depend on station of course as well. If you're looking for peak single user throughput (or maximum performance with many stations), the AC-HD is of interest as well.

Here are some 3rd party tests, which come close to ideal performance.  Note that Macbook Pros tend to be the fastest stations.

UAP-AC-PRO: https://www.custompcreview.com/reviews/ubiquiti-unifi-ap-ac-pro-wifi-access-point-review/38030/

UAP-AC-HD: https://www.custompcreview.com/reviews/ubiquiti-unifi-ap-ac-hd-access-point-review/38610/

We also give what a typical powerful station can achieve w/ the AC-PRO and AC-HD in the AC-HD datasheet, as well as typical expectations when there are more stations connected.  Note that these are for single SSID, more SSIDs take up more airtime (for beacons, etc.), and thus there is less time for data throughput (as there is a higher % of the airtime used by beacons/etc.).

Results are here (page 4): https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/unifi/UniFi_UAP-AC-HD_DS.pdf

Reproduced here as well:

Screen Shot 2017-03-21 at 4.12.41 PM.png

So if you see throughput in the 300mbps to 600mbps range w/ an AC-PRO, that's about right.  

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Brandon

Want to try out new features or fixes before they're released as Stable? Sign up for Beta here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Signup-for-Beta-Access
Emerging Member
Kudos: 11

Thanks for the PM @UBNT-Corey suggesting AP via RMA.  Do we know an affected range of serial numbers?  Whilst I've seen the issue reported, I haven't individally tested every AP I've got at various sites.... and if possible I'd rather avoid RMAing every AP.

Kudos: 6

[ Edited ]

Just to update. I received two replacement AC Pros from Ubiquiti that experience similar Tx issues. However, these access points will connect at 1300 Mbps at extremely close distances.  Test date is 11/22/16. Currently working to RMA these.

UniFi AC Pro | UniFi AC Lite | EdgeRouter Lite | UniFi Switch 16 | UniFi Cloud Key

@-Brent- thanks for the update. Can you elobrate on "extremely close"?

-shawn- wrote:

@-Brent- thanks for the update. Can you elobrate on "extremely close"?

Sure thing. Extremely close corresponds to around one foot away from the access points.

UniFi AC Pro | UniFi AC Lite | EdgeRouter Lite | UniFi Switch 16 | UniFi Cloud Key
Ubiquiti Employee

Hi -Brent- so it seems there wasn't anything amiss w/ the units we replaced. So in short this is about the performance to be expected w/ the UAP-AC-PRO.

Want to try out new features or fixes before they're released as Stable? Sign up for Beta here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Signup-for-Beta-Access

[ Edited ]

I'm also affected . 

Region Germany , 

MacBook Pro 2015 

Sitting seven Meters away from the ap, but in line of sight. My MacBook only connects to 2.4GHz , after power save mode. My iPhone at the same position can connect to the 5GHz without issues (-59dBm) . Enabling Bandsteering does not solve it. Only   reconnecting to the ap helps, than I get  527MBit/s -59dBm . 

Connecting to the ap take really long nearly 20 secs . 

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-Brandon So are you saying that Macs with 3x3 wireless capability will only do 2x2 with the UAP-AC-PRO even though you advertise 3x3? 

If so, that is unacceptable. My 2015 Macbook Pro has no trouble linking to 1300 mbps from 6 feet with an Airport Extreme base station. It will also link at 1300 mbps with a Netgear R7000.

My Macbook Pro won't acheive a 1300 mbps link with any of my 5 UAP-AC-PRO units from any distance. I'm also still waiting for me RMA to be processed as well.

Ubiquiti Employee

So there is chance that say got a bad unit. So for those who think that, we've been working with them. If you get new units back, and they still have the same behavior, then yes, this is simply the capability of the hardware in your environment.

Thanks,
Brandon

@UBNT-Brandon, thanks for the clarification. I've reached out to @UBNT-Corey to check the status of my RMA. 👍🏼

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 5

Hi Shawn, 

I ahve reached out to you off line.

Thanks for the update, @UBNT-Brandon. It is certainly odd that the Macs could connect on the same 5GHz frequencies in the same environment at 1300 Mbps with an Airport Extreme but not with the AC Pros. 

Thanks for clearing up the mystery nonetheless!

@UBNT-Corey Thank you for your help as well!

Kudos: 54
Solutions: 1

I'm using a Mid 2014 MacBook Pro. Tested it against whatever I could find.

Mikrotik hAP AC: no 1300 TX link, max 1.17, mostly 878

AVM Repeater 1750e: no 1300 TX link, max 1.17, mostly 878

Cisco Aironet 3702I-E-K9: 1300 TX link

But what you really want do do is a bandwidth test. At least my device never achieves more than roundabout 500MBit upload using iperf3. No matter what AP it connects to and which speed it shows. Even with the 1.1K€ Cisco device under my table. Man Happy So either my MacBook is broken or it's just not capable of more upload speed.

Download (iperf3 -R) is a different thing, this can be higher (or lower Man Happy ) with other devices. See 's nice explanation above, a HD model might help you there.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 15

I just received a 5 pack and have been desparately trying to figure out why the speed of the AC Pro was so low.

I have been testing with iperf2 and observed the following:

Single client at a distance of 3 feet away from the AP with 5GHz:

Apple Airport AC: 580-750Mbps

UAP-AC-Pro: 370-380Mbps

14 client on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz (separate SSIDs) distance of 15ft and one floor down from the AP:

Apple Airport AC: 520-580Mbps

UAP-AC-Pro: 280-300Mbps

The unit I tested is brand new out of the box and I only upgraded firmware. All using 80MHz width @5GHz I tried to change the radio power but did not seem to affect anything at such a short distance.

Do I have defective units? I really want to like it but seems to be a major downgrade to the apple APs.

Kudos: 2

Emerging Member
Kudos: 15

Thank you. Looks like these are going back to the store. I don't understand all the hype around Unifi. I did direct A-B tests under identical environments (SSID, channel, channel width) and these APs consistently underperform the near obsolete  and average Apple product in single and multiple clients cases. What am I missing here? Is there a setting I missed? 600Mbps for single client and 150Mbps for 10 clients is shockingly poor. Even the HD marketed performance seems very poor compared to other old 3x3 APs.