Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Highlighted
Kudos: 279
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Managing wifi for my kids

Hi,

I recently purchased a set of Unifi AP AC PRO, US-8 Switches and a USG and I'm currently discovering the full set of features and learning how to set everything up right.

Now like other parents I have kids (8 years old) that have a tendency to be on the internet too long and I want to control this better (just like many other parents).

What I would want to have is essentially:

1. We (the parents) always have unlimited wifi.
  2. During specific hours (i.e. weekends) my kids get unlimited wifi.
  3. During the other hours I want to be able to give them (per device) 30 minutes of wifi time at a time.

Now for giving the 30 minutes of Wifi I see the voucher based hotspot as a viable direction (so they can earn a code). Alternatively setting up an internal simple webpage with a button ("Give child 30 minutes starting now") that calls an API ( I found this https://github.com/Art-of-WiFi/UniFi-API-client ) would also be fine. 

During the time they have Wifi access I want them to be on the home network where also the devices like the chromecast on the TV exist.

My questions are simply;

• Is this combination of 'sometimes limited & sometimes unlimited' possible? 
  • How do I set this up; I.e. what settings should I look at more closely?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions

Re: Managing wifi for my kids

To give you guys a headsup on what I have created at this moment and with which I'm experimenting rigfht now.

1) I have created an SSID for us the parents which is unlimited.

2) I have created 2 (actually 3 because of this ) Wireless networks all with the SAME SSID and password.

- 1 (morning, evening, weekend) that is 'unlimited'

- 1 (school hours) that is goverened by the guest policies (i.e. vouchers)  

So far this seems to work very nicely for my usecase.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member
Kudos: 524
Solutions: 81

I would highly recommend using Circle by disney for this. As a father of 3 it's a lot easier than trying to create something else. Even better, is add a USG and setup a separate vlan and SSID for the kids.
Controller: 5.9.26 | Sites: 12 | Devices: 55 | Clients: ~250
USGs (4.4.28): XG8 (x1) | Pro4 (x4) | USG3 (x4)
UAPs (3.9.50): AC-Pro (x17) | AC-LR (x3) | Mesh-Pro (x2) | Mesh (x1) | Outdoor+ (x2)
USWs (3.9.50): US-16XG (x2) | US-40-500w (x3) | US-24-250w (x2)| US-8-150w (x3) | US-8-60w (x3) | US-8 (x2)
Kudos: 8

You can also use the "WLAN Schedule" option under Settings->Wireless Networks.  You can then have different login hours for everyday(eg unlimited on weekends).

To give you guys a headsup on what I have created at this moment and with which I'm experimenting rigfht now.

1) I have created an SSID for us the parents which is unlimited.

2) I have created 2 (actually 3 because of this ) Wireless networks all with the SAME SSID and password.

- 1 (morning, evening, weekend) that is 'unlimited'

- 1 (school hours) that is goverened by the guest policies (i.e. vouchers)  

So far this seems to work very nicely for my usecase.