Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 181
Solutions: 7

Re: Manufacturing Mixup, Gen1 UniFi Switches without 24V Support

Thanks for the page @EricE

Hi @msutor @inigomontoya @WaWaBrent @jasonbraatz ,

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

FREE UBRSS Student Guide-Great Intro to Routing & Switching!

Having connectivity issues? See: UniFi Debugging Intermittent Connectivity Issues on your UAP

Learn How to Establish a Connection Using SSH Here

Kudos: 2

[ Edited ]

I bought US-24-250W switch from affected series.

Create RMA and received email with request for sending switch to US.

As I am from Czech Republic, is there a chance to receive new switch first?

@UBNT-DavidS

I have submitted a RMA, but got a response wanting me to send back before they send a replacement unit out, I did use the proper notes when I submitted the RMA.  Can you assist with getting an advance RMA on this please?

Thank you!!

[ Edited ]

Okay, so I just got my RMA replacement (RM261501). Plugged it in, adopted the device, got 24v power and PoE+.

Updated firmware to 3.9.19.8123 and my 24v PoE devices stopped working and 24v disappeared as an option. Shows up as "UniFi Switch 16 AT-150W".

What is going on here? Do I need to submit another RMA? This is really frustrating and I'm not looking forward to sending *another* swtich in for replacement. Is this really a hardware issue or a firmware issue?

Edit: the replacement came with firmware (3.7.48.6200), which is not listed as a download. I attempted to downgrade to the nearest version (3.7.49.6201), but this did not bring back the 24v option and those devices remain unpowered and offline.

Update: Okay, I'm a lot less confused now, I had misread the logs and thought my 24v devices had come online and then back off.

It turns out, my replacement device never had 24v support -- It is also one of the affected devices. Submitting another RMA and hoping for #3 to be fully functional.

Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

Hi @jlakers

Thanks for paging me here. Yes i am contacting you via pm with more informaiton.

@garyjohnson

Thanks for letting me know this, i am also contacting you to gather more information about this.

Thanks,

David

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Having connectivity issues? See: UniFi Debugging Intermittent Connectivity Issues on your UAP

@UBNT-DavidS

You have to be kidding me. I just got my RMA replacement and it is also an AT.

Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 6.49.15 PM.png

Ubiquiti Employee

Hi @jasonbraatz

Thanks for the page here and I apologize that this has happened.

I will be looking into how this had happened and I will provide updates to you via PM.

Thanks,

David S

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

@UBNT-DavidS

I've got 2 of the US-8-150W switches that are affected.

78:8A:20:B9:C7:AF - Test date: 10/09/17

78:A2:20:B9:C8:1B - Test date: 10/09/17

I need these for Ubiquiti video cameras, so I need to have the 24v support.

Please help.

Thanks.

Ubiquiti Employee

Hi @HLSCameras

I will be contacting you via pm reguarding this.

Thanks,

David

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Hi, I am curious how long this RMA process is supposed to take? My RMA was approved Jan 26 and I still haven't received anything. 

Kudos: 1

I as well have received an RMA Replacement today that is "AT" with no 24V POE option available to select.

I upgraded the firmware to the latest (3.9.19.8123) and no change.

Both the original and the replacement switches have the same "Test Date" (10/10/17).

@UBNT-DavidS I sent you a PM regarding this as well.

I'm really in a bind here as this switch is for a hired job that I cannot complete without the switch.

78:8a:20:b9:cb:a2 192.168.0.50

CONNECTED

UniFi Switch 16 AT-150W 3.9.19.8123 6m 50s

LOCATE
RESTART

-Brent

Kudos: 126
Solutions: 9

Is there any way externally to tell if these are an AT model vs. standard that supports 24V besides the manufacturing test date?

Im going to pick one up at Microcenter they have 3 in stock.  I'll check the test date but would also like to confirm by looking at the unit assuming I can .find one outside the test date range.  If all are AT models then I'll order AF cameras.  I'm hoping to get non AF cameras to avoid the 48V adapter and expense of that. 

I can get one outside the test date range and then open the box and check if I can know what to look for.

Anyone have an AT and one that supports 24V that you can compare physically side by side and note any differences?

Thanks.

SuperUser
Kudos: 5513
Solutions: 381

@firefiwrote:

Is there any way externally to tell if these are an AT model vs. standard that supports 24V besides the manufacturing test date?

Im going to pick one up at Microcenter they have 3 in stock. 

Blue triangle on upper left corner of the box.  From my local Microcenter last year:

IMG_0412.jpg

No blue triangle, no buy!

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
Kudos: 126
Solutions: 9

Hey @EricE this is good info for buying APs.

I noticed on the 2 UAP-AC-Lites I bought yesterday one is 48 or 24 w/ blue triangle and the other is triangle-less Man Happy

I ran them both at 24 volt no problem and plan to do that.

My original request for the the US-16-150W switch that per this thread was how to tell w/o powering it up and beyond the date range to be dang sure it supports 24 volt.

I'm all set -- I had the guy from Microcenter check the date and he pulled one made during Jan 2018 which is outside the Oct-Nov 2017 date range for the 16 port variety.  I checked it after buying before leaving the store that it has the LEDs labelled properly for 24V and POE+ and the 2nd LEDs for 100 or 1000 Mbps.  It's good to go -- it is a US-16-150W and not a US-16-150W-AT version.

This is big deal for me as we're doing 9 cameras and buying 5 packs of the UVC G3 w/ just 24 volt saves significant dollars versus the ones that now come with the 48-24 adapter the UVC G3 AF cameras.

So I'm psyched -- Microcenter has what B&H was backordered and it's the right switch w/ 24 volt support.

Will run 2 x AC lites and 9 cameras and a cloud key with this 16 ports switch.  Cloud key will be the only 48 volt POE thing.

It's too bad the USG can't run on POE (3 port model).  Great setup though and excited to get it all working.

Cheers.

SuperUser
Kudos: 5513
Solutions: 381

Yeah, I got so spoiled with Microcenter having Unifi kit in stock that when I went home to visit my parents over Christmas all I had local to me was Fry's - and they don't carry Unifi.  Fry's carries a fraction of what they used to and their prices suck - I tried to help a friend build a machine and they were charging over retail for parts (!!)  We ended up sourcing from online; so much for supporting local stores.  

Far cry from when I first discovered them in the 90's - how they have fallen Man Sad

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

My US-24-250W unifi switch shows "POE" in the device description in the controller, NOT "AT".  However, I have two AC Lite APs, one with the newer POE support (blue triangle label on the box), and the other AC Lite AP appears to have the older 24v passive technology (no blue triangle label).

The newer AC Lite with the updated POE scheme powers over ethernet just fine, provisions, and broadcasts.  However, I cannot get the older 24v AC Lite to power from the switch, and cannot find any port setting in the controller software to modify to provide for power over ethernet to this AC Lite.  Testing the older 24V AC Lite AP with the 120VAC injector shows it is not DOA (allows provisioning when used with injector).

I did not bother purchasing ONLY the updated POE AC Lites as I had the understanding that the US-24-250W POE switch would power either power scheme.  I cannot use injectors for this configuration.

Please direct me towards a solution, or an expedited RMA.  PM sent to UBNT-DavidS.

Ubiquiti Employee

Hi @kheerema

Thanks for the pm. i will be contacting you to gather more information.

Thanks,

David

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Just want to tell everyone that even though Ubiquiti said they took care of this problem 3 months ago, and even though I bought directly from them at store.ubnt.com (not a reseller, not amazon, etc), they STILL sent me TWO AT-150s instead of US-16-150Ws.

My order date was 2/21/2018 and the date code on both switches is 1741G.

Ubiquiti has, by claiming the problem is fixed and then knowingly (as this thread proves) let it continue for 3 months, given us a powerful indicator that their management team, processes, and controls are not sufficient to be relied upon in any sort of business-critical scenario. For this reason, I do not recommend buying anything from Ubiquiti whatsoever until they well and truly solve this problem, and provide an honest explanation as to why it was allowed to continue for so long.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1148
Solutions: 40

@lerxst sorry to hear about this, and agree, this is not acceptable. We have found some units that have inconsistencies with the printed date on their boxes, and when they were actually manufactured. Your units are apparently part of them.

Can you please send me your order number and the MAC addresses of those two units?

Thank you

Want to try out new features or fixes before they're released as Stable? Sign up for Beta here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204908664-How-To-Signup-for-Beta-Access

Sure, I'll PM them.