Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)

Migrate from Windows version controller to Raspberry Pi version controller.. issues?

Hi,

I've originally installed the Unifi controller on a Windows box and for various reasons, decided that it'd be good to install on a Raspberry Pi that I have spare (Model A, 512Mb I think).

However, while I can get a new fresh instance of the controller working on the Raspberry Pi, I cannot seem to be able to restore a backup created on from the Windows version controller onto it. Whenever I tried to do so, it seems to freeze and then you're not able to access the controller any more.

The backup isn't particularly large - about 20 sites in all but the issue is that I can't get to all the sites (L3 adoption). I have tried all kinds of backups - to trying the bare minimum not retaining any historical data but still the same result.

Has anyone come across this? My only thought is that maybe it's because the UniFi controller on the Windows box is running 64-bit.. but I wou;dn't have thought that this would be any issue since the backup file should be compatible or not so?

Thanks in advance.

Established Member
Kudos: 358
Solutions: 5

Re: Migrate from Windows version controller to Raspberry Pi version controller.. issues?

Normally this shouldn't be a problem. I've started with a Windows controller, moved to Ubuntu, Debian and then a Cloud key. Everything worked.

Did you look at resource usage of the PI? Maybe it takes some time to import? Or just wait for a time? 

Or try to export settings only. Not a full backup. Maybe that works?

Established Member
Kudos: 496
Solutions: 82

Re: Migrate from Windows version controller to Raspberry Pi version controller.. issues?

[ Edited ]

Well the first thing you're going to have problems with is the fact the model A is arm6 which is no longer supported for cloud operations.

Edit - this is from every recent controller update :

• Cloud Access feature in this release is not supported on Linux/ARMv6 architecture (for exmaple, Raspberry Pi 1). If you have problem starting controller on this platform, please remove the native library:
sudo rm /usr/lib/unifi/lib/native/Linux/armhf/libubnt_webrtc_jni.so

Second is that you have bugger all chance of getting 20 sites running in 512MB RAM - one site uses about 380MB.

You need to rethink your plan Man Happy

Honestly, by the time you invest in a power supply, SD card, case etc... then find out you need a Raspberry Pi 3 to work reliably -- it's cheaper to just buy a cloud controller.  $75 at Amazon.

Established Member
Kudos: 496
Solutions: 82

@ccherryfl wrote:

Honestly, by the time you invest in a power supply, SD card, case etc... then find out you need a Raspberry Pi 3 to work reliably -- it's cheaper to just buy a cloud controller.  $75 at Amazon.

Yeah and repurposing those Pi3's as RetroPie boxes is basically more fun Man Happy

Did you find a solution?

I ran into the same problem today.