Migrating UniFi Controller to UniFi Cloud Key Gen2

I'm still very new to Ubiquiti and UniFi.  I've read several posts concerning migrating controllers, even the UniFi - Migrating Sites with Site Export Wizard paper located here:  https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002869188-UniFi-Migrating-Sites-with-Site-Export-Wizard .  However, none have been able to answer my below question.

I've given my Cloud Key Gen2 a DHCP reservation IP address on the same network that my original UniFi Controller is installed on which is my Ubuntu comptuer; of course they both have different IP addresses at present seeing they are on the same network.  I'm able to use Firefox to get to both controllers.  Before I begin the migration process, the Cloud Key Gen2 has the following front page:

UniFi Cloud Key Gen2 Front Page.png

I've not yet logged into the Cloud Key Gen2 to begin the migration process as I don't know which option to select.  I would like to get the migration completed successfully the first time and don't want to do it incorrectly.  Would anyone have a suggestion on which option to check to migrate controllers?  Thank you.

SuperUser
Kudos: 2159
Solutions: 1070

Re: Migrating UniFi Controller to UniFi Cloud Key Gen2

Launch the UniFi SDN, and import the backup.

Kudos: 2913
Solutions: 791

Hello @ubiqNewb,

Follow the steps below.

1) Login and change the credentials of the UCK UI. ( Manage Cloud Key )

2) Set a static IP on your UCK.

3) Downloaded a backup of the old controller

4) Import the backup on the UCK

5) Enable controller hostname/IP override to the IP of the UCK ( NEW Controller device )

6) Shutdown the old controller once everything shows up as connected at the UCK.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

redfive...Thank you for the response.  When I chose Launch the UniFi SDN and was taken to the next page, I chose the "Alternatively you can restore from a previous backup."  I then received the following error message:

Ubiquiti UniFi Cloud Key Gen2 Migrate Error.png

I guess I need to update the Cloud Key Gen2 to the newest version.  Are there any instructions anywhere on how to accomplish this?  Thank you.

Hello @ubiqNewb,

SSH into the UCK G2 ( PLUS ) and run the command below to upgrade the UCK G2 ( PLUS )

UCK G2

ubnt-systool fwupdate https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/cloudkey/firmware/UCKG2/UCKG2.apq8053.v0.9.2.7c6c4ed.190131.1012.bin

UCK G2 PLUS

ubnt-systool fwupdate https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/cloudkey/firmware/UCKP/UCKP.apq8053.v0.9.2.d139d6d.190131.1023.bin

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M

[ Edited ]

AmazedMember16...thank you for the response.  Does the Cloud Key Gen2 have a default username and password by chance so I can SSH into it?  I haven't set any.  This thing is brand new and has a test date of 01/05/19.

Nevermind:  root/ubnt

Hello @ubiqNewb,

The default credentials are ubnt/ubnt or root/ubnt

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

[ Edited ]

Ok... I updated the Cloud Key Gen2 with no issues.  Now, how long does it normally take to complete the "Change SSH Credentials"?  I've selected new credentials and clicked the Submit button and it seems to be holding right there.  Any ideas?

Hello @ubiqNewb,

What screen are you exactly looking at?

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

It's a new Cloud Key Gen2.  When I logged into it, I chose Launch the UniFi SDN option.  On the next page, the Cloud Key Gen2 UniFi Setup Wizard page, I chose "...restore from a previous backup."  I pointed it to the backup I created from the controller I'm trying to migrate from, it asked me basically if I wanted to continue and when I chose to continue, I was presented with Change SSH Credentials.  I chose new credentials, typed them in, and then selected Submit.  I've been waiting ever since.

Hello @ubiqNewb,

Screenshot?

Could you send me the controller logs?

Have you tried restarting the UCK?

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

I had already updated the Cloud Key Gen2 with no issues.  I went ahead and hit the Reset button on the back and reset to factory default.  The new login page looks like this now:

Ubiquiti UniFi Cloud Key Gen2 New Sign In Page After Update.png

A chat session with Ubiquiti tech support stated to create and restore a backup for the Cloud Key Gen2 from here and not to migrage:

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204952144-UniFi-How-to-Create-and-Restore-a-Backup

So I created a backup of my original, updated, controller.  I then selected the Setup UniFi Network.  This selection took me here:

Ubiquiti UniFi Cloud Key Gen2 Setup Wizard.png

I chose the "...restore from a previous backup."  This selection took me here:

Ubiquiti UniFi Cloud Key Gen2 Restore Page.png

Selecting Confirm takes me to the Change SSH Credentials here:

Ubiquiti UniFi Cloud Key Gen2 Change SSH Credentials.png

When I input my new credentials and select Submit, the page just stays there and doesn't progress forward.  So this is where I decided to Reset to factory default and try again.

Hello @ubiqNewb,

Login to the UCK UI first, change the default credentials and THEN import the backup file.

So click Manage Cloud Key and change the default credentials, then open SETUP and import the backup.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

[ Edited ]

Ok...I've restored my backup to the Cloud Key Gen2 and I'm now able to login.  However, my Ubiquiti UniFi AP XG wireless access point shows a status of disconnected.  Any ideas how I can adopt my AP in the Cloud Key Gen2?  By the way, when I logged in to change the default credentials, was I supposed to login as root?

Hello @ubiqNewb,

SSH into the UAP and set-inform to the controller.

set-inform http://ip.of.the.controller:8080/inform

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

[ Edited ]

It appears set-inform is not a viable bash command -

-bash:  set-inform:  command not found

Is it supposed to be http or https?

Hello @ubiqNewb,

HTTP, you have to run this command inside the UAP via a SSH session.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

Honestly, when I setup the UniFi AP XG, I don't remember setting up SSH.  It might still be default, I don't know.

Hello @ubiqNewb,

You can find them in the old controller, otherwise reset the UAP.

Settings > Site > Device Authentication

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
SuperUser
Kudos: 2159
Solutions: 1070

If the AP and the controller belong to the same network, a simple reboot of the AP, with only the new controller online, should do the job...