Motorola scan guns can't stay connected after UAP-Pro firmware upgraded from 3.9.54 to 4.0.15

I tested the new firmware, 4.0.15, at one location with 6 UAP-Pro's. 

After the upgrade, our Motorola scan guns were unable to remain connected.

I used custom upgrade to revert the UAP-Pro's back to firmware 3.9.54 and that fixed the issue.

Anyone else have an issue with the new 4+ firmware?

Now, I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to upgrade their firmware or if it's just something glitchy in 4.0.15.

(Side note, one of the 6 UAP-Pro's bricked from the upgrade and I had to replace it with a new one. Wah)

Kudos: 4028
Solutions: 1030

Re: Motorola scan guns can't stay connected after UAP-Pro firmware upgraded from 3.9.54 to 4.0.15

Hello @elidoranvsc,

What are you exactly experiencing?

What do you see in the UAP logs?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Emerging Member

Re: Motorola scan guns can't stay connected after UAP-Pro firmware upgraded from 3.9.54 to 4.0.15

What model scanners?

The scan guns are Motorola MC 9190's.

By "AP Logs" I am guessing you mean the events listed in that site by the controller? I see all the usual connects and roaming of everyone's phones and the scan guns. Nothing strikes me as odd. There's roaming, but, that's common anyway.

The scan guns have an app on them to communicate with our ERP system for them to do warehouse operations. I upgraded the firmware to 4.0.15 at the end of the day last Wednesday. On Thursday morning I started receiving complaints from the warehouse employees that they couldn't "stay connected" on the scan guns. After talking with them I understood the scan guns were disconnecting from the wifi causing them to lose their connection to the ERP system. The employees would wait a moment and the scan guns would reconnect to the wifi and then to the ERP system. Then it would disconnect again shortly after.

So, I reverted the firmware to 3.9.54 and told them to try again. Then they had no issues at all.

Kudos: 4028
Solutions: 1030

[ Edited ]

Hello @elidoranvsc,

The UAP logs are something else than the controller logs, use this article to find the UAP logs.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Kudos: 21
Solutions: 2

@elidoranvsc wrote:

The scan guns are Motorola MC 9190's.

Have you seen this Cisco document on wireless configuration for MC series scanners? It carries over to the UniFi network as well. There are a number of settings to tweak. As for why it stopped working v4 firmware, I'm not quite sure. Did you enable the "Auto-Optimize Network" by chance? As for our network, we did not experience any issues post upgrade with our scanners, but also we have various MC3000 series scanners.