Kudos: 3

Re: Multicast problem: UAP-AC 3.2.5: Works fine in OpenWRT Barrier Breaker

Im currently on 3.2.10.2886 I am not at location and can't test we have all ready left job site, other people in this forum say lastest code is still broken even though the relase notes say it's fixed.   Is there a direct support number I can get paid support to fix this issue quicker, working in the forum and taking days for a response it not productive.  We have deployed these in a new Resort location and we can't control the Lutron Lighting and need a fix ASAP.   If we can't get a fix soon we will be foreced to remove all the devices and install something that works.   Please advise, I like these units but I got to have multicast working.    Side note Apple airplay, airprint all multicast discovery, all broken. This is a very bad situation I am in, I would think you would have a lab you could test this in very quickly..

Thanks,

Gary

Hi Gary,

We are in the same boat. New construction, dozens of UAP-AC's, with a Lutron system that is only configurable via multicast. The Lutron vendor was walking around the building with a laptop connected to a 100ft long ethernet cable just so he could see what we was doing. It was really embarrassing...

Also as you said, AirPrint is dead in the water. Bonjour Browser shows the devices, but no go from the actual AirPrint dialog... no printer found, etc.

After hours of troubleshooting, packet sniffing, etc. we finally came to the conclusion that is was the UAP-AC's that were causing us all the grief.

We are on 4.6.6/3.2.12/UAP_AC.

This really needs to get fixed.

M

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 13
Solutions: 5

We will try to replicate it with Apple multicast discovery applications. We verified the multicast function with some basic multicast testing tool but seems not enough. Please help us understand more about your network topology. The apple discovery tool runs on lan side or wlan side? Thanks

Bonjour Browser is an app running on the WLAN side on an iPhone, iPad, or Android device. It can see mDNS entries being multicast by the AirPrint capable printers on the LAN side.

We also have a wireless HP printer with ePrint and AirPrint capabilities that doesn't work either. Even with all the devices connecting wirelessly to the same UAP-AC. Multicast traffic just doesn't flow right.

Hi Chris,

One thing I noticed while testing today is that if you have all the wireless mutlicast devices on the same SSID, they seem to see each other. In our deployment we have a couple of different SSID's on the same VLAN. If the iphone is on the same SSID as the wireless printer, it can see advertised services. If it connectes to the alternate SSID, even though it is on the same VLAN, it is like the wireless printer isn't there. You can ping it, communicate with it via unicast, but no multicast joy. Printers on the LAN side of the AP on the same VLAN as the SSID are just as invisible as the printer on a different SSID. I have a client hanging off the wireless side of the AP spamming IGMP queries and getting responses, the switch is sending out IGMP queries as well.

Is there a way to view the IGMP forwarding table on the UAP-AC?

Thanks for your help.

M

Ubiquiti Employee

@Multicaster: sure, you can try command "emf list mfdb br0.$(vlan_id)" and "igs list sdb br0.$(vlan_id)" on AP. "igs -h" and "emf -h" would give you the usage, but you may only need "list" and "show stats" options.

Is there any way to convert the group ID to a multicast address? Why is the Pkts count always 0?

emf I assume is for the multicast forwarding table. Is igs for the IGMP snooping? Is the member ID convertable to a mac address?

Is there any command to view the IGMP snooping status of the AP, enabled/disabled?

Thanks.

Ubiquiti Employee

for example

Group Members Interface
effe7f3f     c0a80189 eth0
effe7f3f     c0a80187 eth0
e959bc01 c0a80114 eth0
e959bc01 c0a80189 eth0
e959bc01 c0a80184 eth0

The "effe7f3f" is a hex format of 239(ef).254(fe).127(7f).63(3f). The Members filed present the IP address of the host 192(c0).168(a8).1(01).137(89).

The packet count is for IGMP packets and should not be 0 if you have igmp packets pass through.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1
Solutions: 2

Is igs for the IGMP snooping? yes

Is the member ID convertable to a mac address? with the command, no.

Is there any command to view the IGMP snooping status of the AP, enabled/disabled? it is default enabled, you can see the stats by "igs show stats <bridge>." you can check if emf enabled/disabled by "emf status <bridge>". IGMP snooping is used by EMF to update mfdb.

OK,

So here are the results of multicasting just between two different SSID's on the same VLAN on the UAP-AC. I thought this battle might be the first one to solve as it doesn't involve any more equipment than two iMac's and the AP. We can get the LAN to WAN issue slain later...

The test system is two iMac's connecting wirelessly to a UAP-AC. The UAP-AC has two SSID's on it, connecting to the same VLAN.

The first iMac is streaming MP4 video from VLC to 239.255.239.239:1234. 

It is also multicasting an SAP for the stream on 224.2.127.254.

Both iMac's are also spamming IGMP queries as if they were multicast routers to keep the IGMP snooping happy.

The second iMac connecting to the same SSID as the first iMac can see the SAP broadcast as well as stream the video from VLC. The first iMac can see/play the same.

The UAP-AC has multicast forwarding entries for the two multicast address to the second iMac as a receiver on UAP-AC interface wl1.2. Everything is flowing good.

If you switch the second iMac to the alternate SSID on the same VLAN, it can now no longer see any of the multicast traffic. Unicast traffic still works fine, VNC, SSH, Ping, etc. The VNC session used as remote control of the second iMac doesn't even die during the switchover.

There is an IGMP entry for SAP on the UAP-AC for the second iMac, but that traffic is never delivered to it. It seems that multicast traffic destined to two different SSID's on the same VLAN are only sent to the SSID that the multicast traffic is generated on, but not both... IGMP and MFD show the entries on interface wl1.2 no matter which SSID the second iMac connects to.

How are the two SSID's bridged to the same interface, in my case wl1.2? Is there some bug/feature that is snooping the IGMP, setting it on the interface, but not delivering it to the second SSID where the multicast reciever requested it from?

M

I also forgot to mention, you can see this isolation as well in the response from the IGMP querier running on the iMac's.

Both iMac's on the first SSID see the same query responses from devices on the SSID and LAN. As soon as you switch to the alternate SSID, the only query responses you see on the second iMac are for itself. 224.0.0.1, 224.2.127.255 (SAP from VLC), etc.

M

not sure what I am missing here but if I do the igs command it shows mulitcast endabled but the brid stats all show zero.  I only have one SSID.  If I replace UAP-AC with a cisco or any other brand my multcast works.

Ubiquiti Employee

Ubiquiti Employee

emf list mfdb" and "igs list sdb" on your AP?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1
Solutions: 2

Hi, Multicaster:

Can you confirm the test result of same SSID under same VLAN ID result? (same UAP-AC)  it works or not?

Im off site now and not where I can run those test, we are supose to return in 3 or 4 weeks and will do if they haven't decided to pull them out before hand.   We have installed temp lynksys wireless to get lutron programming done...

I only have one network and one SSID, and it fails on multicast.

Ubiquiti Employee

Are you trying this by putting the multicast sender and receivers on separate SSID's on the same VLAN?

Having everything on the same SSID works fine for me as well. As soon as traffic has to transit to another SSID on the same VLAN or to the LAN, multicast stops working properly.
Ubiquiti Employee