Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Emerging Member
Kudos: 68
Solutions: 2

Multiple Different VLANs on Different Radios in One Network

OK here is a scenario I am trying to plan for using the UniFi radios, and I am not sure if they are capable of it.
I know that you can have 4 different SSID with associated tagged VLANs on these radios but can this be done by radio or is the setting propagated throughout the entire network?
I have a large hotel with multiple meeting rooms and conference rooms, VIP areas and corporate management areas that I would like to create separate networks for so that for example users of meeting room 1 can log onto SSID1 and share notes and files on the same workgroup without exposing their laptops to other guests in the hotel. I would then like to do the same for all the other 9 meeting rooms creating different login credentials for each.
Would I need to have multiple controllers running in parallel on this hotel network or can one manage each radio in a UniFi network to broadcast the guest hotspot SSID as well as the Meeting room SSIDs?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Niall
Emerging Member
Kudos: 8

Re: Multiple Different VLANs on Different Radios in One Network

Hi
I have been talking to Ubnt about this feature, currently it id not supported, right now Multiple controllers is the only way as i understand. We also have a urgent requirement for custom Vlan tags per radio rather that SSID.
We have made the decision to take the risk and run multiple controllers until Ubnt get the extra VLAN functionality working.
Mark
Emerging Member
Kudos: 68
Solutions: 2

Re: Multiple Different VLANs on Different Radios in One Network

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the heads up. Are you also intending to have off site RADIUS authentication running on your setup? If so how are you thinking of doing this? We use HP MSM710 Access Controllers for authentication with our off site AAA servers but I am tempted to use the UniFi controller if it can do the captive portal side of things well enough.
Cheers,
Niall

so dep

This might help lots of people find out about this matter.