Kudos: 355
Solutions: 35

Mysterious fa:8f:ca:xx:xx:xx MAC address is Google Home's guest mode

Just in case useful to anyone, I've just tracked down a mysterious hidden access point that has appeared conflicting with my Unifi network over the last couple of days and it's a Google Home operating with "Guest Mode" enabled.  

Starts with fa:8f:ca which seems to be unrecognised in most MAC lookups.

Re: Mysterious fa:8f:ca:xx:xx:xx MAC address is Google Home's guest mode

that's weird because I've seen the same address(ipv6) for months now and can't figure out how to disable it.

Did you figure where and why it appeared on your network?
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1281
Solutions: 221

@soggystainz You can see them in Neighboring Access Points, this can also be a Chromecast device though.

Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
The thread on our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here, also check out our Captive Portal solutions for UniFi.
Kudos: 5

Bloody guest mode of a Chromecast...I've already thought that someone is pulling surveillance on me for some reason. As soon as I changed the AP channels it changed it's channels, too. You can disable the guest mode with the Google Home app.

Thank you! That's been bugging me for months! I signed up to this forum literally just so I could thank you. :-)

Thanks. That was most helpful. I would never have been able to find this myself. 

@michaelaston Good call
Me too. Signed up just to say "thanks" and hit the [kudos] button Man Happy

You can hide Google Chrome WiFi by sliding 'Let others control your cast media' off in Google Home app for Chromecast. But hiden Google WiFi still remains.

Thanks a ton @clarksn!!

My paranoia was making me restless. Failed to locate it even with my RPi wardrive setup and only ended up near the AC Lite (didn't suspect the Google Mini nearby). I was looking up full MAC search and came up empty!  Should have Googled with just the OUI.