Scheduled maintenance: Community available only in read-only mode until 6:00 AM (PT)
Kudos: 89
Solutions: 4

Nano HD WLAN issue?

I think this is the case...not sure.  At my school, I have the student network turn off at night and back on in the morning.  It seems that when this happens, the next day when it comes back on, the students are not able to connect to it (my phone included).  I power cycle the AP, all is well again.

I decided to try to upgrade to 3.9.48.  I'm on 5.8.28 controller.  I have 5 HD's, and about 25 Pro's.  Those seem to be working fine.

Anyone have this happen to them? I'll write more tomorrow.

P.

Kudos: 4870
Solutions: 1289

Re: Nano HD WLAN issue?

Hello,

Is it still happening on 3.9.48?

Regards,

Glenn R.

CC @UBNT-BenBuckley

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

Won't know untill tomorrow I'm guessing.  Since I think it has something to do with the WLAN schedule, I'll find out after it turns off tonight.  I did walk to another classroom this morning (after upgrade to 48) and connected just fine to the student network.  I should have tried to connect BEFORE upgrading to see if the problem was present.  I'll go to said classrooms with the Nano's tomorrow and see which work and which may not be working.  On a side note, the SSID's that stay on all the time were just fine connecting to.

The upgrade DID NOT WORK.  This is a big issue for me right now.  Same thing. This morning students couldn't connect, I power cycled the unit, they could connect.  I am hoping I don't have to order Pro's to fix this....paying a significant price for the nano for this to happen is not feeling so good...

Hello @Groong,

You may want to give the BETA controller and firmware a shot.

If you aren't a BETA user follow this guide.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

School starts tomorrow....do I really want to risk that?  Already did beta for the AP, but for the contoller? Seems risky.

Hello @Groong,

Download a backup of your current controller so you can always revert back.

Yeah I personally would give it a shot, have been running it without issues for a good amount of time.

If you're upgrading the controller go with 5.9.22.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Question on that.  I always do the backups but if I update the controller to the beta firmware, and it does not go well, when I restore the back up, does that revert the firmware of the controller?

Hello @Groong,

Best thing to do if you revert back to an earlier version.

1) Uninstall current controller

2) Install the older controller

3) Import the backup of your controller.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Not sure how to uninstall controller on a cloud key...have yet to try it.  There is not manual update button to press.  It might be I need to manually install older CK firmware with older Controller firmware built in.

Hello @Groong,

You could just reset the UCK if you want to revert back.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Not sure that would work.  Resetting it keeps the current firmware.  The current firmware has the most current controller.  I think....

Hello @Groong,

Then you could manually change the controller version:

apt purge unifi -y
wget https://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/5.8.28/unifi_sysvinit_all.deb
dpkg -i unifi_sysvinit_all.deb
rm unifi_sysvinit_all.deb

The commands above will uninstall the current UniFi controller and install 5.8.28 for example.

Regards,

Glenn R.

That's slick.  Going to tuck that one away in the logs. Thank you BUT, decided to put my old UAP-PRO's back in place for now.  Since classes start tomorrow I didn't want to "try" things.  However, now that I have 4 NanoHD's sitting around, I'll plug one in on my bench and try some things.  This is what UBNT said to do:

1) reset the device reconfigure it and monitor ( If this did not work)
2) Create a new site move the AP to that site and then monitor it.
3) you can reserve the IPs in your main router(DHCP server)

I'm not sure what they mean by reserve IP's in my main router (which is the USG XG).  For the AP? not going to do that for all my students obviously.  I still think it is a schedule thing.  Why the NanoHD and not the PRO or HD?....hardware issue? just a firmware thing maybe?

Appreciate the advcie Glenn. Keep you posted if I learn anything.

Best,

Phil

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 25
Solutions: 5

Hi @Groong:

So do you still face the issue if you disable WLAN schdule?

Also, when you can't connect, could you ssh into the device and provide /var/log/messages to us.

And, type "support" in ssh and provide /tmp/support directory to us. 

Thanks and sorry for the inconvience.

Hi Gavin,

Was thinking about turning off the WLAN schedule but school has started, not a good time to do so.  However, now that I've replaced the Nano's with the PRO's, I'll adopt a Nano and keep it in my tech room tomorrow.  Then on Tuesday I'll see if I can connect to it on the Student network (allowing the WLAN schedule to turn it off and on again).  Even if that doesn't work, I can still access it on the Faculty network and do as you say, SSH in and get the logs.  I'm still learning SSH commands, can you tell me exactly what to do?

Type support.  Then what?

I'm assuming you want any info that is in the directory /tmp/support.  Is this going to be a copy and paste thing?

I'll log into a PRO in a few minutes using PUTTY and see what I can do/find.

Appreciate the help looking into this.  Hate to keep those Nano's on the shelf.  On a side note, I did purchase the nano's when they were on the early access store.  I just never go around to installing them.  Could there have been a possible hardware change before they were officially released? I have always assumed that the hardware on an early access product remains the same and it's just the firmware that needs ironing out.

Thanks.  Will post Tuesdy with logs.

P.

[ Edited ]

Just tried in on the pro.  I was able to SSH into it, went to /tmp/support and it says Permission Denied.

TreeHouse-BZ.v3.9.42# /tmp/support
-sh: /tmp/support: Permission denied

I don't have this configured however:  No SSH keys have been defined.

Do I need to do that? What should I type in?

Ubiquiti Employee

Hi @Groong:

You need to first type "support", and you can see support directory in /tmp/.

Thanks Man Happy

I'm missing something here....

TreeHouse-BZ.v3.9.42# support
TreeHouse-BZ.v3.9.42# support/tmp/support
-sh: support/tmp/support: not found
TreeHouse-BZ.v3.9.42# /tmp
-sh: /tmp: Permission denied
TreeHouse-BZ.v3.9.42# /tmp/support
-sh: /tmp/support: Permission denied
TreeHouse-BZ.v3.9.42#

Ubiquiti Employee

Hi @Groong:

1. Type support command.

2. You can see /tmp/support directory now.

3. Copy /tmp/support directory to your local coumputer. (Alos with /var/log/messages)

UBNT-BZ.develop_gavin@ubuntu# scp -r /tmp/support/ gavin@192.168.1.9:/tmp/

4. Provive support directory and messages to us (You can through PM)

Thanks Man Happy