Kudos: 15

Need different SSIDs for each Access Point.

Hi,

I am new to UniFi products and this forum.

Quick rundown of system. I am running several nano stations creating several point to point stations. Each station has a Pico attached to the Nano and each Pico is manually set and has its own unique SSID. This is how the company that setup the system did it. The company has since sold out and I am not maintaining the system.

We use different SSIDs because we are an RV Resort and when a customer tells us they have an issue we simply ask which WiFi tower they are connecting to.

With that background here is my issue. I have purchased UniFi AC Mesh devices to expand due to the Picos being discontinued as well as being AC devices. The problem is I wish to name each device with it's own unique SSID like the Picos. I have played with the controller for a while now and have not been able to figure out how to make that happen.

Anyhelp would be appreciated. Please note I searched before posting but did not fine any subjects that seemed to relate to my question.

I have two other questions but they are not related at least I don't think so. I will post them seperate.

Thank You

SuperUser
Kudos: 2170
Solutions: 1075

Re: Need different SSIDs for each Access Point.

Two ways, the most elegant, Settings, Wireless Networks, WLAN Group, + button, Create new WLAN group, then in the new WLAN Group create the SSID(s) you need, on the AP, configuration, select the new WLAN Group, otherwise, if on the AP, configuration, WLAN, select the SSID you want, edit, override ...
Cheers,
jonatha

Hi, I tried the override, however it only allows me to change the 5g broadcast. The 2g does not have an overwrite feature.

Does this mean if I want 8 different SSIDs I need 8 groups under one wireless network? And if so how would I monitor all of the devices at the same time?

I have a different related question but will deal with that once the SSID issue is fixed.

Thanks

Kudos: 270
Solutions: 5

So what kind of issues do you see when they cannot connect that would require them to tell you which AP they are connected to?

The UniFi controller will generally tell you if there's a problem with the AP whether it's disconnected or not. I would expect the lack of a common SSID across the park would be problematic for the client for example if they wanted to travel across the park and now they'd have to connect to a completely separate SSID rather than roaming relatively seemlessly.

Basically a common SSID would mean easier management for you, and a more seemless experience for the user. I would assume 9 times out of 10 the problems would be due to the individual fatfingering the password. Or for that matter being confused why they lost their wifi connection because they now see SSID7 instead of SSID2 because they're down by the lake instead of at their RV.

Established Member
Kudos: 216
Solutions: 30

Super super easy, you can edit the SSID on each AP and on each frequency:

wireless_ssid_change.png

-Jamie M.

Hi, I was able to do that. The 2.4 finally showed up. Not sure why only the 5g showed before.

Also with my Picos they were set so each pico gave out addresses using a different 3rd octet. Should I do the same with the UniFi?

One last thing if you know how. Since I have two different routers can I still use the same site that is setup in the controller software and all of the deivces I have to that site? I do know that only the devices connected to the router I am on will actuall show up, but the others should show when I move to the other router.

Thanks

The issues I have run into are being told that they get booted off or they tell me that they are connected to an AP that is too far away for them to get a good signal. The other is people tell me that they can not see the tower anymore. If I know the tower number I can simply go and check that there are no issues without even logging into the controller. Most of my issues are cut cables, insects nesting under the lan port covers or surges that set the devices back to default.

Thanks

Kudos: 270
Solutions: 5

So most of your issues are generally disconnected AP issues then. I guess that's where I would just expect the UniFi controller to tell me that an AP has issues even before someone tells me and it'll tell you exactly which one has the issue.

You really don't even need to log into the controller with anything other than using the UniFi app and a smart phone. Even better if you're using a cloud controller.

The good thing from a UniFi standpoint is that when a device is reset it should just be automatically added back to the controller with the config you had on it originally. And from the Mesh standpoint, hopefully the cable gromet would keep some of the insects from nesting inside a little more.

I'm not trying to make you change or anything, just trying to understand the why really. I feel like I'm missing something.

The why,

What has happened is we had a Wireless Network managed by a company who had an issue and the owner could no longer run the company. The family basically inherited the company. This was fine for a while and we were fine.

Now what has happened the family had to sell since they were no going to run the business. The business was sold to a company who we had prior dealings with and had actually left to go to the new company.

My experience in networking is mostly simply networks with no more that a couple of wired switches, routers and MiFi devices. Port forwarding was learned due to our network remote access to the dvr systems.

I have diagnosed on site issues with the AirOs products over the last three years but never worked on the software untill the past month. I am up to speed on how the nanos are configured and the picos are configured.

Now wanting to jump from 11 towers to 16 towers to fill in the weak signals on the 30 acre property I have to somehow learn the UniFi system.

If this was my only responsibility I could work it daily and get super good at it. However between my two jobs I wear many hats from technical and website management along with sales, property maintence, purchasing, delivery and setup as well as others. Now trying to add UniFi into the mix with a very short learning period.

That is why I was considering just adding the Picos for now and getting into the UniFi later. Hopefully that will explain where I am in the process of figuring this out so everything is stable for our customers come the fall when all of the snowbirds come to Florida.

Thanks

Kudos: 71
Solutions: 6

[ Edited ]

I skipped the replies as I seen from the OP that this is classic old-school thinking to a old-school issue and untrianed UniFi users. 

Use the UniFi controller as it gives you all the info in one place of devices and the abbility to troubleshoot issues, even on your phone while walking around the grounds. 

Single, common SSID will allow guests to move around without having to keep moving to another AP/SSID. 

@Lost-Benji wrote:

I skipped the replies as I seen from the OP that this is classic old-school thinking to a old-school issue and untrianed UniFi users. 

Hi, thanks for the reply, you are correct about being an untrained UniFi user, however for the time being I am trying to incorporate additional devices into an existing system without replacing all of them. Our users are use to the way it is setup now and trying to change everything will be a big hassle. That is why I am looking to have different SSIDs at least for now.

I have learned how to do this in Unifi and would like to just leave it as is until I have all of the APs upgraded to Unifi but that is not something that will happen soon. I just need to incorporate 5 additional radios into a system that is up and running.

If I set the IPs separate then the users will not be confused between the unifi and airos devices if I use Unifi right now.

Right now I have the expense of purchasing 6 additional ptp radios and 5 ap radios. Not to mention the cost to purchase the 5 new poles and supplies for electric connections, concrete, tie downs and the labor to get them installed and power to them. The poles have to be concreted into the ground as well as tied down because of the possibility of hurricanes around here. So once that is all completed and we have everything running in sync again I can then consider upgrading all of the APs to UniFi and from there we can follow the new ways of doing things.

If this was my only chore I would be able to get on it and do it all at once. However with this coming to me out of nowhere I have to do what I can with the time I have available to do it. In the next couple of weeks I have a project starting that will take me from mid July to mid October to complete and it is more important than expanding the WiFi, then my other job will be needing me 70 hours a week until next spring. So just to get through this next peak season I need a quick expansion.

Bottom line, here is what I need to do:

Purchase some Pico Stations, $72.00 each. This is only $360.00 not a lot in the scheme of things. I can use them for at least the next 6 months if not longer. May do the Unifi Mesh but would rather get all at once when ready so all of them are the same model.

Purchase the Nanostations which will hang around for a while yet and not need replaced next year.

Get everything running and call it a day.

I will then use the one purchased Unifi device as a training tool and learn how to fully use use the Unifi software as time allows, maybe even incorporate that device somewhere along the way. Once I am good with the Unifi software I can then purchase 16 of the current generation of new radios which will be a bigger expense but will be able to be utilized and kept in service as a total solution for a few years. Will probably hire a company to help with the layout and programing the initial install and then hand it off to me with some additional training on how it works.

Life takes tangents and this is one of them.

Considering our company Internet service alone costs nearly twice as much each month as buying 5 picos once this is my best route for now. The picos will pay for them selves in just a week of of service and cause less pain for the front desk staff hearing people can not reach the WiFi. That alone is worth it. Heck just replacing the bulbs in the small clubhouse was 4 times more than simply adding 5 new picos.

So that is my plan. Keep the system running with a small expansion for this coming season and do a whole property upgrade next spring. Covering 30 acres with many obstacles and a lot of metal moving around the property at any time is not a small task.

Have to ask since a new user. Can I accept only one solution or can I choose multiple. I there are a couple of issues here and handled by two different replies.

Thanks

Highlighted
Kudos: 2

@Lost-Benji

> classic old-school thinking

> Single, common SSID will allow guests to move around without having to keep moving to another AP/SSID. 

Which would be great IF customer devices would hop to the nearest/best AP.

Instead they will fight tooth and nail to stay connected to the first AP they come across ignoring all other options no matter how much better signal they could have. Customers have to constantly "forget" a wifi and reconnect and hope that their device connects to the right one, and stays there.

Roaming is fine for phones and tablets, but I don't see many people taking the playstation down to the river.