Emerging Member
Kudos: 6

Need help transferring from one layer 3 controller to another (about 290 sites)

Hi everyone, we are currently hosting our own Unifi controller at our office. We use a dyndns service to use  for our inform url on all of our devices to point the customer devces to our office. I want to stop hosting this locally and instead spin up a VM and host the controller there. My thinking was all I have to do is change the IP that the Dyndns points to and all of the devices will then start "informing" to the new VM. If I restored a backup on the VM, all should be good.

What I found is while I can restore the backup on the VM, and I can re-route the dyndns to point at the new VM, none of the devices will show up  as online on the new VM... I can SSH into the devices through other means and the devices themselves properly resolve the dyndns to the new VM, but they still not show up online.

Is there another step I am missing? I have read something about a security token that is created betwen devices and controller when they are adopted, but I would think that restoring from backup would transfer these same security tokens.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Established Member
Kudos: 327
Solutions: 101

Re: Need help transferring from one layer 3 controller to another (about 290 sites)

Is your new controller behind the NAT? Any firewall rules that potentially prevent for the mgmt traffic to reach the controller?
Thanks,
Myky
CWNA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.
Emerging Member

Re: Need help transferring from one layer 3 controller to another (about 290 sites)

The VM does end up behind a NAT but we can forward ports to the VM. I have forwarded the inform port to the VM.

Established Member
Kudos: 327
Solutions: 101

[ Edited ]

In the PCAP, taken from the VM, can you see any incoming communication on the TCP 8080?

Thanks,
Myky
CWNA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.
Emerging Member

I think you are correct.. we are having trouble with traffic reaching the VM.... stay tuned!
Emerging Member

This appears to have fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help