Highlighted
Emerging Member
Kudos: 2
Accepted Solution

Need refresher: Unifi controller, Cloud access

I have not kept up to date with the latest & greatest from UBNT, and am struggling to understand the differences between cloud Access & a Unifi Controller.

My current setup is a UniFi controller running on a DigitalOcean droplet that manages devices at 2 different sites. Everything has run pretty well for a long time.

What I don't understand is Cloud Access. I have a Cloud Access account, so I went ahead & enabled Cloud Access on my controller. Now I can see my controller & can manage my 2 sites via my Cloud Access account.

Does this mean I no longer need my DigitalOcean droplet to manage my AP's and future devices?

Accepted Solutions
Established Member
Kudos: 496
Solutions: 79

Re: Need refresher: Unifi controller, Cloud access

Cloud access just means that you can log into unifi.ubnt.com (soon to be unifi.ui.com) and access your controller. This helps manage mulitple controllers, or sites with a controller behind NAT or a FW.

You will still need your droplet controller install.
Controller: 5.9.26 | Sites: 12 | Devices: 55 | Clients: ~250
USGs (4.4.28): XG8 (x1) | Pro4 (x4) | USG3 (x4)
UAPs (3.9.50): AC-Pro (x17) | AC-LR (x3) | Mesh-Pro (x2) | Mesh (x1) | Outdoor+ (x2)
USWs (3.9.50): US-16XG (x2) | US-40-500w (x3) | US-24-250w (x2)| US-8-150w (x3) | US-8-60w (x3) | US-8 (x2)

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member

Cloud access just means that you can log into unifi.ubnt.com (soon to be unifi.ui.com) and access your controller. This helps manage mulitple controllers, or sites with a controller behind NAT or a FW.

You will still need your droplet controller install.
UAPs (3.9.50): AC-Pro (x17) | AC-LR (x3) | Mesh-Pro (x2) | Mesh (x1) | Outdoor+ (x2)
USWs (3.9.50): US-16XG (x2) | US-40-500w (x3) | US-24-250w (x2)| US-8-150w (x3) | US-8-60w (x3) | US-8 (x2)
Emerging Member

Hi @depasseg  thx for the help.  I guess I don't see the point of Cloud Access if it performs the same functions as my DigitalOcean controller.

Kudos: 3006
Solutions: 810

Hello @ron_jeremy,

It doesn't have a big point when using a server with a public address, I personally have it on for all my clients because they find it "easier" to use Cloud Access.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Established Member
Kudos: 305
Solutions: 80

@ron_jeremy wrote:

Hi @depasseg  thx for the help.  I guess I don't see the point of Cloud Access if it performs the same functions as my DigitalOcean controller.

They are different. DigitalOcean is the virtual PC where your controller is hosted, as in it is running there. Cloud Access gives you access to your controller through unifi.ubnt.com, no matter where your controller is running.

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

Hi @RobbieH , that is interesting. This is likely a dumb question, but does the controller have to be actually running for Cloud Access to work? For example, I setup an AP using controller software installed on a laptop and enable cloud access. Will I be able to manage the AP via my Cloud Access account if the laptop is off or if it the controller software is not running?

@RobbieH wrote:

They are different. DigitalOcean is the virtual PC where your controller is hosted, as in it is running there. Cloud Access gives you access to your controller through unifi.ubnt.com, no matter where your controller is running.

Hello @ron_jeremy,

The controller needs to be running in order for Cloud Access to work.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
Established Member

Unifi devices talk to and are managed by the controller (the controller can be a cloud key or an install on mac, windows, linux). The cloud access is just am easy way to access your controller(s) from anywhere.
Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

@AmazedMender16 wrote:

Hello @ron_jeremy,

The controller needs to be running in order for Cloud Access to work.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Hi @AmazedMender16 , thx for clarifying. My use case scenario dictates I continue using the DigitalOcean setup. I got excited for a second there, thinking I no longer had to pay for (and mange) the VPS!

Hello @ron_jeremy,

VPS is not that expensive honestly Man Tongue

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
Emerging Member

@AmazedMender16 wrote:

Hello @ron_jeremy,

VPS is not that expensive honestly Man Tongue

Regards,

Glenn R.

Yeah, I know. I have multiple droplets running various apps - but they all add up! 

Hello @ron_jeremy,

Thats true Man Tongue

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
SuperUser
Kudos: 11106
Solutions: 685
Contributions: 1

[ Edited ]

The real beauty of the Cloud Access is that if you have a local Cloud Key at a site behind a firewall (not even a USG necessarily) the CK will connect out to the Ubiquiti Cloud through the firewall and use WebSockets to allow the controller to access the CK without needing to poke holes in the Firewall or use Port Forwarding etc.   None of your information or data or processes are running or stored on Ubiquiti's Cloud, it just allows and manages the remote access automatically.   In your case it won't make any difference, but for those of us with a lot of sites with CKs it is a Big Deal...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)