Kudos: 3

Needing help with an oddball problem

My wife bought a Horizon T9 treadmill a few months ago.   The treadmill has wifi capability.   Since it arrived in our home, I have been racking my noggin trying to get it to connect to our Unifi-AP-AC-Pro.    Earlier today, I read on an obscure website that the only way to get the wireless to work on that model treadmill is to remove security and leave the wifi OPEN.   I thought "Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot????"  

So to test this, I pulled an semi-old Netgear router out of the junk box, reconfigured it with a different SSID and left the security OPEN.    I went to the treadmill and it connected almost immediately.    CRAP!   

My wife wants the POS connected to the network, so she can track her workouts.   While I want a secure network at home.

Tomorrow, I'm calling the Horizon Customer Service to see if they can offer a fix for a secured wifi connection.

In the mean time, if Horizon doesn't have a solution, I thought I check with y'all to see if there is any ideas on how to isolate a open security AP?      VLAN maybe?  

Kudos: 1

Re: Needing help with an oddball problem

[ Edited ]

Are you using the AP in conjunction with a USG or Edge Router?

You could stand up a separate IoT VLAN with firewall (or MAC filtering) rules or go the route of Guest network.

Guest network would offer client isolation from the rest of your network but still access the internet. 

Highlighted
Kudos: 4507
Solutions: 1171

Re: Needing help with an oddball problem

[ Edited ]

Hello @Mad Scientist,

You could create a GUEST VLAN and SSID for the oddball.. ( you could also use a mac filter ( can be spoofed though ) )

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK