Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Kudos: 103

Network Monitoring suggestions

Anyone have any suggestions on what to use for network monitoring in a prosumer environment?

I would like some way of being notified of certain events on my network like:

• WAN connection is down (obviously needs to be done from the cloud)
  • Client 192.168.1.95 - Kitchen Echo Dot has dropped off the LAN.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to use?  There appear to be some products/services like Fing, Nagios, Domotz, but how do they compare?  Is there anything that can run in a docker on unRAID?

Established Member
Kudos: 209
Solutions: 79

Re: Network Monitoring suggestions

Not sure if you can have a proactive notification with SNMP software but the good free choice is PRTG (100 sensors free).
Thanks,
Myky
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.

Thanks - the only issue is that if you need more than 100 sensors the pricing isn't really made for a SOHO environment.  For <100 sensors it is free but when you get beyond that it is $1600.  I am not sure how many sensors I would have and if this if more set up for a home user's use cases the way that Fing would be.

Kudos: 123
Solutions: 6

I use Centreon

Established Member
Kudos: 209
Solutions: 79

[ Edited ]

Then Check_MK. I used to play with it. Nice, free and based on Nagios Core (powerfull):

https://mathias-kettner.de/check_mk.html

It also has pretty GUI:

gui.PNG

Demo here:

http://mathias-kettner.com/check_mk_demo.html

Thanks,
Myky
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.

This is almost a task that the Unifi controller could do since it does know what is on your network - although it doesn't seem to always know about wired devices with static IPs that aren't going out to the WAN - at least not for me.  I have a USG router and several WAPs.

Check_MK is almost just like Centreon, just a differnet UI. Pretty cool stuff there.

http://demo.centreon.com/centreon/main.php?p=20201&o=svc&min=&autologin=1&useralias=21232f297a57a5a7...

Emerging Member
Kudos: 8

I'm using Observium which does a pretty decent job. Just know that SNMP support is pretty limited for Ubiquiti products despite requests for more MIBs. Secondly, SNMP is v1 only and syslog defaults to *.debug causing devices like the AP HD to dump messages at an unprecedented rate. 

observium.png

I don't use SNMP to monitor my UniFi devices actually.

I use the UniFI API by @slooffmaster to pull data from the controller.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/PHP-class-to-access-the-UniFi-controller-API-updates-an...

SuperUser
Kudos: 3074
Solutions: 296

FreudeAmFrankie wrote:

I'm using Observium which does a pretty decent job. Just know that SNMP support is pretty limited for Ubiquiti products despite requests for more MIBs. Secondly, SNMP is v1 only and syslog defaults to *.debug causing devices like the AP HD to dump messages at an unprecedented rate. 

Yeah, thats because the Observium developer is an a$$ and has decided that all wifi equipment is crap and he's not supporting it.  Seriously - google around if you really want the skinny.

However I wouldn't waste time on him, it's easier to switch to LibreNMS, an Observium fork by the original devs.  Supports UBNT kit just fine too Man Happy

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
SuperUser
Kudos: 3074
Solutions: 296

If you really want to geek out on your network, Security Onion is pretty cool Man Happy

LibreNMS is a lot easier to get going if you just want simple monitoring and some alerts.  Security Onion goes a whole lot deeper.

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
Emerging Member

I'm aware of his reputation. This is not the only software package that has developers with limited communication skills. I'm happy with it. But no matter which package suits your needs the best, the SNMP/Syslog options for Unifi are pretty limited and manual changes to change the syslog level are overwritten every time.
Highlighted
Established Member
Kudos: 457
Solutions: 58

I don't find the SNMP monitorability that limted at all - in fact there is quite a bit of detail that can be collected.  See Grafana dashboard for UniFi APs now available as an example.

I have never had a problem with syslog, even with an AC-HD.  Part of this may depend upon firmware revision, as some beta releases were more "chatty" than others but even then it was never a high volume.

I'm not sure which version of the controller you are using but with 5.5+ at least you can persistently choose whether or not to forward *.debug to syslog via the UniFi controller.

Emerging Member

Regarding SNMP data: I stand corrected. I noticed Observium showed much more date elements some months ago. I have no clue if better MIBs came available or the Observium guy had a good day.

I'm aware of the debug message option. It doesn't work however. It defaults to level 7 on every unifi device.

level7.png

Established Member

Debug is actually '8' but I noticed it isn't always applied.  '7' is the non-debug default.  UAPs leverage the 'busybox' syslogd where the argument to '-l' is the non-inclusive ceiling.  

In other words '-l 7' logs messages higher priority than debug, but does not include debug.

Either way I haven't found syslog to be overly verbose, even with debug level, on recent firmwares.  Some versions were more verbose but I believe that has been remediated - the release notes would have a comment on this.

Emerging Member

Are you sure about that? According to RFC 5424 syslog levels are:

0 Emergency: system is unusable
1 Alert: action must be taken immediately
2 Critical: critical conditions
3 Error: error conditions
4 Warning: warning conditions
5 Notice: normal but significant condition
6 Informational: informational messages
7 Debug: debug-level messages

A single AP HD procduces approximately 250k messages/month

Established Member

Yes - what I stated does not contradict that.  Please reread what I posted.

The busybox implementation of syslog uses the '-l' option to state the numeric level below which messages will be forwarded.  It is not the maximum inclusive level as most syslog implementations use.  In other words on your UAP if syslogd is running with the arguments '-l 7' then it is reporting messages below debug but not including debug.  Yes, when you actually set debug-level syslog option in the UniFi BUI, after reprovisioning the UAP will (or should) show syslogd running with the argument '-l 8':

BZ.v3.9.0# ps | egrep syslog
 3308 uapuser    1360 S    /sbin/syslogd -n -O /var/log/messages -l 8 -s 200 -b
 3731 uapuser    1356 S    egrep syslog
BZ.v3.9.0# egrep log.lev /tmp/system.cfg
syslog.level=8

Re: the volume of messages:  Is your firmware version current?  As I noted there was/were (a) firmware version(s) that were perhaps overly chatty which had been "corrected" in a later firmware.  This is why I noted to check that if you are seeing a problem.

250K messages per month is approximately six messages per minute.  That isn't overly excessive but could be high depending on other factors including the number of stations.

Emerging Member

Yes - what I stated does not contradict that.  Please reread what I posted.

A fair assumption could be that English is your native language. It's not mine and it confused me at first, hence my reply with a question. This feels like being patronized, but I like the respectful way you explain it. Thank you for that (sincere, no sarcasm here).

OT: It's usually the latest stable beta build, currently 3.9.0 connected to a 5.6.16 controller in a home environment serving approx 10 clients at the time. Syslog.level = 7 but about 3% of the messages are a true level 7 and I have never enabled the debug option.

However, my point was that out of 60 devices the AP HD (1 device) and Pros (2 devices) the AP HD accounts for 20% and the Pros for 12% each (44% for 3/60 devices) of all syslog messages. That's quite a bit of noise and the current controller software doesn't allow for separate levels per device and only offers the with or without debug option.