Kudos: 36
Solutions: 4

Re: Never been so disappointed with a brand - Speed and range issues

[ Edited ]

I installed a USG, two Switch 8-60's and two AP-PRO's in my house back in Jan - to replace a variety of standalone routers (last was Nighthawk AC1750) range extenders and an old router re-purposed as a WAP for upstairs.
I took a while to learn how to set it up, but I don't see any less performance. Wireless devices move seamlessly between the up/downstairs AC-PRO's and I can get decent speeds over wifi.
More expensive than the typical TOTL home router yes.. But I have more control with vlans, can split all my IoT devices onto a separate network, have DPI enabled, set up a guest network that kicks my kids friends off after 4 hours and limits their b/width, and so on. Even got remote access over VPN with dynamic DNS configured Man Happy
I've been very happy with what I have.,.

But I DID do my homework up front, and did NOT expect a single AP to cover two floors and a long ranch style house.

Kudos: 61
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

Frankly im tuning out initial flame posts from people who dont bother to RTFM from now on

Whats wrong with people that often their opening post is a "Unifi is crap" dummy spit, and yet they expect everyone to drop what theyre doing and spoon feed them

Read a d@mn manual.....

The correct order in anything IT and specifically networking is to:

a) Do research

b) Do more research

c) Do even more research

d) Buy equipment

If you clowns cant do things the intelligent way, then stay away from the forums...its boring dealing with your incompetence over and over

This is the 3rd such post in the last week....

Usual bs, they say they know what theyre doing, and then the minute someone convinces them to post a system config of course you find they have left everything on auto......

Enough

Should be a ban on anyone whose first post is "this is crap"

Inflammatory worded topic titles are the cries of children, and spoiled ones at that

The worst tools are self appointed IT experts who post "this is crap" and then finish their dummy spit by saying theyve packed everything up and are returning it...buh bye....

Should get Unifi credits for turning the pricks in....

Kudos: 57
Solutions: 8

@jakew8 wrote:

As a new Unifi home user who had the same experience, I disagree that his problem was lack of fine tuning.  It was more of a problem of faulty expectations.

I think that the problem with home users is that, coming into the process, we think that fast download speed is the sole measure of a "good" wifi setup.  Linksys, Netgear and Asus routers contain very powerful radios and processors that are designed to maximize speed; and their antenna design does maximize range.  UAPs are leaner devices that are designed to handle more users, but are not maximized for speed.  They're also designed with multiple APs in mind for range and coverage, as opposed to a "whole home" consumer router.

Unfortunately, as internet speeds get faster (my Xfinity download speeds are around 290Mbps and Comcast offers many faster tiers), I predict that you'll see more home users coming to the forums to complain that their new Unifi APs aren't delivering speed since speed is what they've been sold by consumer routers and their ISPs.  It's a matter of setting expectations and touting the other benefits of pro-level products.

I think this is one of the better responses here.

I agree that one shouldn't expect single client raw speed performance to be higher on UniFi than on high end consumer gear.

I agree that one shouldn't expect a single UniFi AP to have the same coverage and performance of high end consumer gear.

What it does bring is a cost effective and scable solution that can be optimized for the environment.

In my home experience, I went from two ASUS APs at my house that gave great speeds when in the same room, but spotty coverage at the extreme ends of the house.  Moving to to UniFi APs, I was able to get better locations for the APs due to them not looking like a spikey monsters that the wife banished to the basement.  Having multiple APs across the house also means I can get 300-400Mbps on multiple clients at the same time if the need arose.  There could be 15 people in my house all streaming Netflix with no issues and still support someone transferring files at 200Mbps+ since they will be distributed across multiple APs.

I have several friends who have also gone down the UniFi path with not as much luck.  Mostly because the bought a single UAP-AC-LR, mounted it off in some corner of the house and can't figure out why it doesn't work worth a darn in half the house.

Actually, I would say you are being offensive. If you read the mounting instructions, you will note that there are mounting instructions included for wall as well as ceiling. These devices are slow and 80Mb is around about the limit of their througput even when optimally mounted and with the computer very close.

@wja96 wrote:

@rivageeza wrote:

Thank you for the replys, however I have packed it up and will ask for a refund. I have all 3 AP's ready to go back when I get chance to.

To answer some of your questions, the AP was sat on a shelf high up in the living room. I tested it right way up, upside down, lent up against the wall. This didn't change anything.

Yes I am talking 80Mbits per seconds via TCP.

I had the ASUS turned off the whole time, I only had 1 or the other switched on.

Guest network was switched off, and speed limiter wasn't enabled.

Live in a remote area so no interferance from other WiFi networks, chose channels with the least amount of interferance. 

I wished it had all worked I really do, I just wanted to shower my house with great WiFi coverage but it just didn't happen that way. My house is only small, 20ft wide maybe 80ft long 2 storey. 

I have spent around 18 hours trying to fine tune this thing, there's only so many options and I've not had success at all, I'm bitterly disappointed.

I REALLY don’t wish to be offensive, but you really need to install these in the ceiling for them to work properly. Laying it on a table or a shelf is awful. 

I see see these posts on Amazon.co.uk almost every day. People with sky-high expectations who don’t install the units correctly and then scream that they are disappointed. 

Did you not notice the mounting instructions? Or the fact that it comes with holes drilled in the back to mount on a ceiling? 

The bottom line is you installed it incorrectly and you almost certainly would be better off with another ASUS router/AP because you can mount that almost anywhere and get decent performance. And speaking of performance, the Pro probably is only as fast as the best ASUS combination units with say, 10 clients. But with 100 clients, the Pro will blow the ASUS away. 

Part of me is very sympathetic. You thought you were buying a magic bullet. And you discovered it was actually made of lead and needed to be carried a long way to make it work. That’s hard, so you gave up. But there is a bit of me that just thinks.... where is your commitment? If you want SUPERB WiFi performance, you have to work on the installation and the setup in software. That means running a cable into the attic, drilling a hole in the ceiling and fixing the AP as close as possible to the centre of the building.  Only then will you see the incredible benefits of the Unifi Access Point. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 9
Solutions: 2

@mcqj wrote:

Actually, I would say you are being offensive. If you read the mounting instructions, you will note that there are mounting instructions included for wall as well as ceiling. These devices are slow and 80Mb is around about the limit of their througput even when optimally mounted and with the computer very close.

My experience with AC Pros (v2) and AC-IWs has been consistently higher than 80Mb/s. Much higher. 

Established Member
Kudos: 360
Solutions: 34

[ Edited ]

@mcqj wrote:

That's an unfortunately negative first post. As I said, it wasn't my intention to offend, and if I did, I apologise.

Can I ask how you are determining the throughput? 

Kudos: 66
Solutions: 13

No the posts go like this... “I replaced <sub-In-favorite-router> With unifi and it didn’t give me the speed or coverage I had before”
Kudos: 66
Solutions: 13

Now your just being silly. The throughout depends on how you connect and what the client is capable of. Please.
Kudos: 142
Solutions: 54

@mcqj wrote:

These devices are slow and 80Mb is around about the limit of their througput even when optimally mounted and with the computer very close.

Clearly you are an expert on Unifi access points.  I had no idea they were so crappy.  Thanks for sharing your profound knowledge.  Based on your feedback, I think I'm going to remove all my Ubiquiti gear and throw it in the trash.

Kudos: 4

Just because I've just come from a Christmas tequila and tamale party across the street (you'd understand if you're from So Cal) and I've had a bit to drink, I'll weigh in with my own experience.

I have a single AP-Pro that's mounted vertically (yes, vertically) outdoors in the back of the house under the eaves for purely aesthetic and ease of install reasons.  It runs one VLAN with all my IOT devices inside the house.  It runs another VLAN for our tenant in our garage.  It runs another VLAN for the tenant in the rear of the house next door which we also own.  The distance is significant for all, the next door tenant runs through several walls.  And I also run a fourth WLAN off of it for general private stuff.  There are 15 devices connected right now, mostly IOT, but also two Rokus streaming video on a 100Mbs Spectrum connection which is shared with an Asus RT-AC68U I also run in the main house.  No problems at all, good speeds, good signal strength, been very pleased with Unifi.  No special settings, just default except for the VLANs.

I used to run the rear tenants on an Amped Wireless wifi repeater, which was just horrible and didn't really give usable coverage to the rear tenants.

I'm so pleased with the Unifi that I'm thinking of switching my setup on our Palm Springs house to Unifi, to include an outdoor AP-Pro along with 1 or 2 indoor AP-Pros.  That setup is a little concerning due to cinderblock walls and the extreme temperatures for the outdoor unit.  I currently run an Asus RT-AC88U with an Amped Wireless repeater, but the setup is a little wonky.

So I'm really not posting to offer any solutions, just to offer a differing point of view regarding how pleased I am with my AP-Pro.  Lots of people post to complain about things (not that it's not possible you didn't have valid complaints), but not a lot will post with positive experiences.

@wja96 Thanks for your respones. Actually, 80 Mb is fine for me and so I don't have a major issue with these devices. My intent was to point out your faulty criticism of the OP for failing to ceiling mount the device. The manufacturer does indicate say that the devices can be wall mounted and provides instructions for same, when your criticism of the OP was that he could not expect the device to perform without ceiling mountsing it (as per the instructions).

As to 80 Mb, I have tested both close to the device and quite a distance away and my measurements have always been approximately 80Mb for a single computer and 80Mb aggregate for multiple computers. I've found no difference between horizontal and vertical. I have explored other wifi networks in the vicinity and adjusted channels and channel widths and still never got over 80MHz, which as I've stated does satisfy my needs. With an old ASUS AC66U, I get about 120 Mb, which is what I get on a wired connection. However the consistent coverage from Ubiquiti is better than ASUS which is why I use it.

As well as at home, Ubiquiti is used at our offices and I've measured the devices there at about 80Mb also.

@stshaw No, I don't claim to be an expert in Unifi devices. However, I do know how to perform setups in acoordance with provided instructions and I do know how to carry out throughput mesurements. I can share my experience, which I have done. Perhaps, you would care to share your experience so that we can have a constructive discussion.

Established Member
Kudos: 360
Solutions: 34

@mcqj wrote:

@wja96 Thanks for your respones. Actually, 80 Mb is fine for me and so I don't have a major issue with these devices. My intent was to point out your faulty criticism of the OP for failing to ceiling mount the device. The manufacturer does indicate say that the devices can be wall mounted and provides instructions for same, when your criticism of the OP was that he could not expect the device to perform without ceiling mountsing it (as per the instructions).

As to 80 Mb, I have tested both close to the device and quite a distance away and my measurements have always been approximately 80Mb for a single computer and 80Mb aggregate for multiple computers. I've found no difference between horizontal and vertical. I have explored other wifi networks in the vicinity and adjusted channels and channel widths and still never got over 80MHz, which as I've stated does satisfy my needs. With an old ASUS AC66U, I get about 120 Mb, which is what I get on a wired connection. However the consistent coverage from Ubiquiti is better than ASUS which is why I use it.

As well as at home, Ubiquiti is used at our offices and I've measured the devices there at about 80Mb also.

You’ve still not told us how you are measuring the 80Mbps? As far as I’m aware, only iPerf gives a true reading. I had a colleague who I installed an AP-AC-IW Pro for and I tested the unit at about 400Mbps on 5 GHz and about 130Mbps on The 2.4GHz band. He claimed he never saw more than 75Mbps. He was using Ookla Speedtest to measure the maximum transfer speed on his broadband connection Man Wink

I’m sure you’re not doing that but it would be good to understand what you are doing. 

Kudos: 142
Solutions: 54

@mcqj wrote:

@stshaw No, I don't claim to be an expert in Unifi devices. However, I do know how to perform setups in acoordance with provided instructions and I do know how to carry out throughput mesurements. I can share my experience, which I have done. Perhaps, you would care to share your experience so that we can have a constructive discussion.

Your post stating, "These devices are slow and 80Mb is around about the limit of their througput even when optimally mounted and with the computer very close," is not accurate.

It may be true that 80 Mbps is all you have achieved in your testing so far, but that must be due to some limitation of your testing method, your client devices, or some other problem with your setup.  

I get 300-400 Mbps throughout the home in which I have two Unifi APs installed.

When in the same room as the AP, with maximum link rates on the client device, I measure the following throughput figures.  This is over a 30-second interval with iperf. This is with the APs sitting on top of furniture, not mounted on the wall or ceiling.

2011 MacBookPro

AC-PRO: 320 Mbps

AC-LR: 240 Mbps

iPhone 7+

AC-PRO: 460 Mbps

AC-LR: 460 Mbps

2018 MacBookPro

AC-PRO: 760 Mbps

AC-LR: 600 Mbps