Highlighted
Accepted Solution

New build installation - suggested positioning

I’m relatively new to UniFi APs as I’ve installed a couple in a current rented property.  We are about to start building a new 3 floor property and I want to hard wire UniFi APs in at the start, but want to get positioning correct, as in the rented house we have, I’ve had issues getting suitable segmentation across the 3 floors sufficient to get decent speeds across the house.

The new property’s plans are below and I’d appreciate anyone’s advice on suitable locations for ceiling mounted UniFi APs (I’m using the Lite versions at present) to get the best and most consistent coverage using a single SSID across the house, plus provide coverage to the garden to the rear.

Thanks in advance for any help!

22E87A85-E2C1-4D0A-921C-1D9DC61047C0.jpegGround floorB3341B2A-D9B6-4555-B436-42C7FBC1F0E2.jpegFirst floor2A43632B-43AB-45BF-9AF8-A2A4AD2D9840.jpegSecond floor

Accepted Solutions
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1187
Solutions: 196

Re: New build installation - suggested positioning

In order to be flexible I'd prepare more cables that you will actually use. There are many ways to do this. I marked those with stars (*) that I would initially plan for use:

1x kitchen center (*)

1x hall (south of snug door)

1x lounge center (* preferred, if TV/games are here, also covering bed 4 above)

1x snug center (* if TV/games are here)

1x master bedroom center (*)

1x bed 3 center (*, can also cover lounge below if it does not have its own AP)

1x hall between bed 7 and bed 6 (if bed 3 below doesn't have an AP)

1x bed 7 (* to also cover bed 2 below, assumes that bed 3 has an AP that also covers bed 6 above)

Maybe you can tell us what the thick walls are made of?

How about the front of the house, garage, parking space?

The best way to cover the garden is with an outdoor AP mounted outside on the wall; the right side of the house looks a bit more suitable for that (as close to the center of the building/garden).

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 4
Solutions: 1

not to bust your bubble but I doubt 2 lites are going to cover that much ground.  Furthermore, where is your outside living spaces?

Sorry, I didn't mean I had only the 2 lites, just that I was using them now I'm a rented house. Happy to add more, just looking for guidance on where best to place - so I know how many I'd need.

The outside spaces are to the south, so opening out from the kitchen/dining/dayroom and dining room and lounge side.

Hope that better explains it. 😊
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1187
Solutions: 196

In order to be flexible I'd prepare more cables that you will actually use. There are many ways to do this. I marked those with stars (*) that I would initially plan for use:

1x kitchen center (*)

1x hall (south of snug door)

1x lounge center (* preferred, if TV/games are here, also covering bed 4 above)

1x snug center (* if TV/games are here)

1x master bedroom center (*)

1x bed 3 center (*, can also cover lounge below if it does not have its own AP)

1x hall between bed 7 and bed 6 (if bed 3 below doesn't have an AP)

1x bed 7 (* to also cover bed 2 below, assumes that bed 3 has an AP that also covers bed 6 above)

Maybe you can tell us what the thick walls are made of?

How about the front of the house, garage, parking space?

The best way to cover the garden is with an outdoor AP mounted outside on the wall; the right side of the house looks a bit more suitable for that (as close to the center of the building/garden).

Thanks ub40

That's really helpful. Smiley Happy   The house sits the full width of the plot, and we don't need coverage to the front - there is a garage/studio there, but I intend to cable that and then give it it's own AP.

On the drawings for the main house, all the thick external walls and the internal walls shaded grey will be double skin masonary blockwork, while all other internal walls will be 100-150mm studwork comprised timber and soundproof gyproc boarding. 

The floor between ground and first is likely to be either beam and block or a fully acoustically lined timber floor, to prevent noise travel.  I guess this will impede wifi coverage from floor to floor a fair degree, meaning more APs?

Established Member
Kudos: 446
Solutions: 79

Above the stairwell/staircase is usually a good spot in domestic situations.

Also make sure your builders don't use PIR insulation board (Celotex/Kingspan type stuff) anywhere between internal walls/floors - in my experience it plays hell with 5GHz. Make sure they use mineral wool or similar.