New house build project

Hi All,

I am completely new to all of this and appreciate any and all advice moving forward.  We are having a house built in southern california and I am trying to future proof it with networking and internet capabilities.  We are having network cables pulled to all the rooms as much as possible.  It is goign to be a 2 story 5200 sq. foot house.  I have read about having access points for wifi put in as well as setting up a router and switch(s) from the ISP.  I am willing to do all of this, but I am such a novice when it comes to this type of information, I am overwhelmed at the options.  I was thinking of having 2-3 LR access points to spread wifi and the security gateway leading to either a 24 port router or a 16 and 8 port router.  Knowing that the APs will need PoE along with 2-4 security cameras, I was torn between two router options knowing that PoE for those and a cloud key and possible other future ideas.  Are there any home network pros on here that can help me out with ideas?  Thank you!

Kudos: 4494
Solutions: 1167

Re: New house build project

Hello @Zeta044,

Welcome to the community!

How many clients will be connecting to each UAP?

Do you have any floorplans?

I personally would run 2 cables to each corner of the room!

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

Hi Glenn,

Would clients be devices accesing the UAPs? Since it is just our house, it would be your typical tablets and phone devices, maybe a few other smart devices that will need WiFi.  I dont believe it will be more that 15-20 devices total.  

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 9.21.29 AM.png

Here is the second floor layout.  There will be at least 1 port run to each room, multiple ports run to the great room and loft.  The bedroom with an office is getting 2 for sure.  They said they can also wire it to have 2-3 ports in the ceiling to mount the APs.

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 9.22.00 AM.png
Kudos: 4494
Solutions: 1167

[ Edited ]

Hello @Zeta044,

I would say 4/5 UAPs in total ceiling mounted.

A UAP AC LR will most likely be more than enough but also look into the UAP NanoHDs.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Kudos: 3
Solutions: 2

Just a comment on wiring your new build for future expansion.

I put a 2" PVC pipe in the kitchen plumbing wall - it runs from attic to crawlspace

in a 2 story house. Makes it really easy to get wiring from top to bottom.

Another variant is a horizontal run of PVC pipe from one end of the house to the other.

PVC is cheap. The time to run it is minimal if the walls are open.