Accepted Solution

Newbie Q: What is going on with Unifi AC Pro when changing LAN's

Hi all,

I am experimenting at home with one Unifi AP AC Pro and a Mikrotik router hEx RB750G r3 setup.

There are two setup'sL

1. First setup, with AC Pro directly connected to my ISP router/modem, within IP range 192.168.0.xx (without hEx)

2. Second setup: with ISP's router put in modem-only configuration, and use my hEx as router, using the classic IP range 192.168.88.xx

The Unifi Controller is installed on my laptop, which is also connected to ISP router or hEx, following the AC Pro's IP range.

My problem is when switching from the first setup to the second, I have no clue on how the AC Pro should be adopted by my Unifi Controller. The message I get is that I have a problem with the AP and this needs my attention.

I have tried to reconfigure the AP in the Controller menu, but apparently the AP's IP is stuck in the old IP. Adoption menu does not do the trick, as I have still not found how this Adoption is working and/or it is really needed in my case.

Fortunately, sometimes re-adoption is working (after I do some clicks and dig in Controller sub-menues), and my AP starts working again after getting a new IP, but I have no idea on how or why.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 4494
Solutions: 1167

Re: Newbie Q: What is going on with Unifi AC Pro when changing LAN's

Hello @idan,

The UAP will show the old address in the controller because it didnt inform back to the controller...

Did you assign a static IP to it?

Run a network scan, find the UAP, SSH into it and run the set-inform command to the controller.

If you don’t wanne do that.... forget the UAP in the controller and reset it ( hold the reset button for 10 seconds ) 

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

View solution in original post

Hello @idan,

There are many other scans out there... take a look at this one

Restart the UAP and see if it pops up in the DHCP leases.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

View solution in original post

All Replies

Hello @idan,

Run a network scan and find the UAP, SSH into it and set-inform to the controller device.

set-inform http://ip.of.the.controller:8080/inform

Replace ip.of.the.controller with the IPv4 address of the controller device. ( I recommend using a static IP on the controller device )

Regards,

Glenn R.

Thank you for the suggestion.

instead of using ssh/CLI, is not possible to set this 'inform' via controller GUI?

On the Config-Adoption screen there is shown the controller's IP, but the AP AC Pro does not use dhcp to renew its IP.

Moreover, since I change the network configuration / ip class, I cannot put a fix IP, and change it when changind the config to the new IP range.

Hello @idan,

The UAP is disconnected right?

Just SSH into the UAP and run the command... that takes like 10 seconds to do...

Regards,

Glenn R.

Glenn,

But the laptop on wich the Controller is running is on a different IP range than the AP, due to the fact that the AP is stuck on the old router's IP range. Therefore I presume that there is no route to the AP from laptop/controller to AP.

I am not affraid of CLI, but apparently it would be impossible to ssh to AP.

Hello @idan,

The UAP will show the old address in the controller because it didnt inform back to the controller...

Did you assign a static IP to it?

Run a network scan, find the UAP, SSH into it and run the set-inform command to the controller.

If you don’t wanne do that.... forget the UAP in the controller and reset it ( hold the reset button for 10 seconds ) 

Regards,

Glenn R.

[ Edited ]

Hello Glenn,

Unfortunately I am not able to ssh into AP. 

The controller/laptop is on 192.168.88.254 and the AP was on 192.168.0.122

Is the AP capable to get a new IP from the new router?

Thank you for your patience.

Dan

PS. To simply do a forget/reset is the easy way, but not too elegant Icon Razz

Hello @idan,

The old address ofcourse won’t work...

Did you run a network scan??

Yes its able to get a new DHCP address if it’s set to DHCP. 

Regards,

Glenn R.

[ Edited ]

AP is set to DHCP.

Ubiquity discovery does not find the AP and it also does not appear in my router's leased IP's.

Thanks..

Dan

Hello @idan,

There are many other scans out there... take a look at this one

Restart the UAP and see if it pops up in the DHCP leases.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Hi Glenn,

Thank you for your help!

Apparently it takes some time till the Mikrotik and ISP's router are "adopting" the AP. And also the controller has some delay in managing the new configuration.

My workaround, based on your suggestion, was to restart the controller AFTER I allow some time for the AP to get used to the new router, and switching the laptop to the new network AFTERWARDS too.

Thanks again!

Best regards,

Dan 

Hello @idan,

Thanks for reporting back!

Wish you the best with your network!

Regards,

Glenn R.