Occasional Visitor

Newbie help - Questions

Hi im new to networking and Ubiquiti. 2 years ago i bought UAP -LR -US and it worked ok...although hard to get the controller working, I recently got another UAP but the PRO one and a POE 8 port powered switch. All went good installing and i then purchased another switch for another area of my network, and a gateway. All of that is working now and on the controller it says everything is great, but i have a few questions if anyone can help.

1) i have multiple logins....usernames and passwords. I know when i set up the switch i had to make 3 different ones..but all 3 of those dont seem to work with anything. The names are confusing, there is UNIFI, UBNT, Cloud, SSID ( i know this one ) and when i tried to adopt my stuff it asked for a user name and password but nothing worked! I have my log in email but sometimes i have to use my username so basically, how many different "places" do i need to go and log into? What are they for?

2) I got the controller set up at one area of the network, then tried to finish the network setup at my other computer but i couldnt....can you only use one controller? I see a place to log in online and it shows my network but when i launch it fails to connect. I also cant see anything on my ipad app unless the controller is going....is this normal?

3) Cloud key. Im guessing here this will make my network available online if i get one? I also want to get cameras so would the new cloud key plus with the 1 TB storage be the right thing to get?

Ultimately i would like to be able to use my ipad to monitor my network anytime im in range without a computer always on running the controller. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help

SuperUser
Kudos: 8520
Solutions: 1411

Re: Newbie help - Questions

This belongs in the UniFi / Getting Started forum.  Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com
Occasional Visitor

You would think so wouldnt you, but as with UNIFI its all very confusing as that option isnt available. It looks like there are even more basic questions in not only this forum but there is one asking for help in UNIFI Wireless that i dont think should be in there, so this was my choice but thanks for trying to keep it orgranized and trying to help?

Since i cant delete this post i guess we have to get a moderator to move it? Maybe someone in the know can help with that first before we try and help with the questions i asked.

Strange Unifi sends me here to ask the community for help.

Dave

Kudos: 140
Solutions: 21

[ Edited ]

The only Getting Started forum I see is for AirMax.

I agree that it can be confusing.  Ubiquiti's product set is large and complex. They're primarily aimed at networking professionals, so tend to emphasize capability and control at the expense of simplicity.  I'm not an expert by any means, but I'll answer your questions as best I can.

1) Multiple logins.  Generally, each hardware device has a login.  The management systems (software to configure and monitor the devices), such as the Unifi Controller, the Unifi Video software, or the upcoming Ubiquiti Network Management System, have their own logins.  Typically management systems take care of the logins for the hardware devices so that you don't have to. Management systems can often be accessed over the internet, such as through a Ubiquiti "Cloud" login, so this is a third level.  I'm sure there are more.

2) An instance of the Unifi Controller software can manage many Unifi devices. These are grouped into "sites", which allows configuration to be done en masse. A site is often all the hardware devices in one physical location, such as a home or office building, but could be devices across multiple physical locations such as all the offices of a company. A single instance can manage multiple sites.  

The Unifi Controller is software, not a piece of equipment.  It is supported on computers running Windows, MacOS, and Linux. (It's available for the Raspberry Pi, but without official support.)  It is also available bundled with a small Linux computer called a CloudKey.

The Controller doesn't have to run 7 x 24.  In straightforward configurations, such as a home, the network will continue to operate just fine without it.  The Controller is designed to run 7 x 24, however, so it has no direct user interface.  Instead, you access it from a web browser or mobile app. This is why the app on your IPad doesn't work unless the Controller is running -- it has nothing to connect to.

3) A CloudKey is a Linux Computer with Ubiquiti software built in. Notably, it includes the Unifi Controller.  The Plus model, which includes a disk, is designed to also run the software that controls Ubiquiti surveillance cameras.

A CloudKey won't in itself make your network available to be accessed or controlled over the internet.  Access would typically be provided by configuring a Virtual Private Network (VPN).  Control comes from accessing the Controller, either over a VPN or using the Ubiquiti Cloud.

Does that help?

-- Pete

Edit: Fixed a few typos and inconsistencies.

Occasional Visitor

Hi Pete,

Yes thank you so much. I appreciate your time.

Im going over https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204909374-UniFi-Cloud-Key-and-Other-UniFi-Passwords to help with all the log ins i made and where to change them....seems i added a couple extra i didnt need.

Looks like i should get a cloud key as well...again thanks.

Dave

SuperUser
Kudos: 8520
Solutions: 1411

[ Edited ]

I requested a move to the right forum, but there are

few Ubiquiti forum managers on duty weekends.

This may happen on Monday; if not, I suggest you

re-post..  Good luck!   Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2008
Solutions: 306

I'll move this to the UniFi section.