Office with a Wireless Router + AP, Same SSID - Configuration

Greetings, everyone,

In my office, we have a wireless router from our ISP providing the WiFi. It does a decent job of providing coverage to the front side of the office, but not so much at the other end of the building.

I'd like to run a cable from that wireless router to the other side of the office, where we'll have a a UniFI AC-PRO access point.

Both the wireless router & access point will have the same SSID, passcode. I'm hoping this will provide a seamless roaming functionality around the building.

For the AC-PRO Access Point, are these the necessary steps to take to make the setup work: (?)

* Disable DHCP on the Access Point (Will I need to disable NAT, too?)
* Assign a static IP to the Access Point
* Change the WiFI Channel used by the Access Point

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any help would be most welcome.

Established Member
Kudos: 364
Solutions: 118

Re: Office with a Wireless Router + AP, Same SSID - Configuration

[ Edited ]

The AP is just an AP. It is not a router or NAT device.

It will get an address via DHCP when connected to your network. You can configure your ISP router to give it a certain address, but you can't set a static address on the AP itself. You can download the Unifi app for Android or iOS to configure the AP.

Be sure to set the AP's channel to one not being used by your other AP. 2.4GHz band should use channels 1, 6, or 11. 5GHz band can use any channel that is otherwise unused. And be sure to set the radio power as low as it needs to go to and still provide the coverage you need.

Kudos: 81
Solutions: 26

There is no need to disable dhcp. But you could choose for static if you like this way of configuring devices. Than you should use IP-address outside the DHCP scope off your router.

You don't want use NAT. Keep using the same subnet.

Use same SSID en WPA2 key.

Choose different channels for wifi router and UniFi AP!

Use channel 1,6 or 11 for 2,4 GHz and free channels for 5 GHz depending on the area where you in.

This will provide your roming effect when moving through your building.

Keep us posted with your findings? 

Cheers,

Mike

If the feedback solved your problem or question. Please mark it as solved. If it is worth some Kudo’s don’t forget to give some :-)
Highlighted
Established Member
Kudos: 387
Solutions: 130

For a single AP you do not even have to install the controller you can use your phone and the mobile app to set it up.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012360487-UniFi-Getting-Started-with-the-UniFi-Mobile-App

Thank you for the replies.

In my mind I was treating the AP as a wireless router, hence the questions regarding dhcp, nat.

Essentially this singular AP is just that - a wireless access point.

May I check - using the AC-PRO, can I use the same SSID as my ISP wireless router? In essence making it a roaming WiFi Network? 

Established Member
Kudos: 364
Solutions: 118

wrote:

May I check - using the AC-PRO, can I use the same SSID as my ISP wireless router? In essence making it a roaming WiFi Network? 

In fact, that's the best way to set things up. Man Happy 

As I said above, just make sure you dial down the transmit power so devices don't unduly hang on to the signal from the AP PRO.

If you don't have devices that support 3x3 MIMO (mostly some higher-end MacBooks) then the AP- AC-LR is probably a better choice for less money.