One of my UAP-AC-LRs runs very slow 5g on 4.xxx firmware

Hi,

I have two UAP-AC-LR access points. I'm having a speed issue with one of them on the 5G Radio.

One access point gives me 200Mbps, one gives me less...depending on the cable length.

On v3.9.42.9152 of the AP firmware I get 200Mbps, at all cable lengths, so all ok.

However, when I update the AP to version 4.xxx I get the following (when standing 2m from the AP with clear sight, no walls etc)

3m cable = 150mps
10m cable = 75mps
15m cable = 30mps
I have tried cat 5e, cat 6, and cat 7 cable, all have issues, though I think there is a slight improvement on a cat 5e cable (I beleieve these use a lower gauge for voltage transfer)

I have tried the following firmware versions, all of which give the same issue:
v4.0.21.995
v4.0.14.9736
v4.0.9.9636

NOTE: My other UAP-AC-LR is working fine on the latest firmware (4.0.21.995) with the same 15m Cat 7 cable as tested above.

I have done extensive testing and tried the following, NONE of which made any difference:
- Reset the AP via the button on the AP
- Reset the AP via the UniFi-Discover software
- Disabling the working AP to ensure no interference.
- Switched over the PoE injectors - No change, injectors are fine
- Checked the Uplink is 1000 Full Duplex
- Channel width is set to VHT80 (which works perfectly for the other AP)
- I have tried various Channels and Transmit Power settings, including Auto. None of which make any real difference.
- Tried disabling 2G on the AP
- Kept testing the internet speeds on the working AP to rule the incoming broadband speed out.
- Checked other wifi signal strengths & did a site survey. Nothing of any issue.
- Tried the non-working AP on in the same place, with the same cable, settings etc as the working AP. The issue is definitely related to the AP itself.
- Using Speedtest Ap, and Google's own speedtest.
- Tried using both a OnePlus 6 and Samsung Galaxy S9 to test.
- TX & RX rates are both 867Mbps when close to the AP (for both working, and faulty AP)

- Both are plugged directly a PoE injector which, in turn, is plugged directly into my Virgin Superhub AC set to modem only mode. This has always been fine.

There is definitely an issue with the AP, I've ruled everything else out. And this issue only happens with the v4.xxx firmware, v3.xxx seems to work fine. It seems as if the AP isn't getting the full strength signal/power to then transmit out.

Kudos: 67
Solutions: 8

Re: One of my UAP-AC-LRs runs very slow 5g on 4.xxx firmware

Just so we understand things correctly, the AP is not physically moving distance away with the longer cables, you are keeping the AP in a static position for all tests while using a longer cable?

[ Edited ]

Correct (Luckily I'm not that silly Smiley Happy ). Each test is done about 1.5m from the AP in direct line of sight. I've tried being closer and further away too.

It's 100% to do with the AP on that firmware.

I'm testing on a network with either no activity or very very low activity. As soon as the working AP is plugged in I get 200Mbps, when I switch out to the other one the speed drops in line with the slow figures above.

What are you plugging the AP into? Does it report port-level retries/collisions etc?

It plugs straight into my broadband modem/router which I don't believe has any such logging.

I'm techy but no network expert so excuse my naivety, but surely the other AP would encounter the same port issues and collisions etc?? It's a home network and there is very little activity during my testing.

I appreciate you taking an interest, thank you.
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

@n-flem wrote:
.. surely the other AP would encounter the same port issues and collisions etc?? 

Not necessarily. The question was directed more in hopes of enlightening us if the problematic AP is having the problem on the wifi side or the ethernet side.  You eluded to this type of testing by trying different cables.  Yet if the firmware on this problematic AP is a  potentially causing the symptoms, then it would be helpful to know where this firmware is struggling, over the air or over ethernet.

Perhaps others can pipe in on what, if anything, can be run on the AP via ssh in order to view packet stats.

[ Edited ]

Are you still facing this issue?  You can get some credit card generator with name that will help you to manage your work more efficiently.

Yes, only just posted it today.

Kudos: 58

[ Edited ]

Not sure what can be looked at via the CLI, but using SNMP you can see the Ethernet stats of the AP.

Edit: Duh....'ifconfig eth0' will give you the most basic ethernet stats as well.

I have no idea what that even means Smiley Indifferent I think it's a Linux command but I don't such a device.

I'm just a home user with a family using multiple android devices and PCs + laptops on Windows 10.  The controller software only runs if I load it, generally the APs sit there running on their own.

Ubiquiti's support guy, Jack G, gave me unreleased firmware 4.0.27.10067 to try. That did help a bit but the problem still remains.

I have attached some speedtest.net photos. I appreciate this is a very rudimental test but there is a common theme no matter how many times I run it, where I run it or when. These were done with that firmware, so the broken AP shows faster running speeds that I said at the start of this thread.

The light blue line at the top of each photo always builds up over time on the working AP, starting at around 160Mbps and getting to 200Mbps by the end. The broken AP always hits 160Mbps pretty much straight away but then drops the speed over time, ending up at 100 or lower. This has always been the same graph shape, no matter what cable length or type I used, just with a different overall finish speed. The minue I drop to firmware 3.xxx on the broken AP it works fine and the graph looks like the other AP which builds speed.

No idea if this helps anyone. As I've said, the weird thing is that the other AP works fine, and it's exactly the same, bought at the same time.

Broken AP - Screenshot_20190319-222955.jpg
Broken AP - Screenshot_20190319-223000.jpg
Broken AP - Screenshot_20190319-223005.jpg
Working AP - Screenshot_20190319-222933.jpg
Working AP - Screenshot_20190319-222943.jpg