Solutions: 1

Optimal setting for UAP-AC-LR to have good coverage

I have a new Unifi UAP-AC-LR installed, but it doesn't reach the upper floor...

I already put the 5Ghz power to High and 2.4Ghz on low (because I only need 5Ghz) but it doesn't reach far enough...

The speed is OK near the AP (my internet is 200MB, that is also the speed downstairs)

What more can I try?

Kudos: 1717
Solutions: 517

Re: Optimal setting for UAP-AC-LR to have good coverage

Hello @Booga275,

You will need more UAPs if you need more coverage.

Could you post your system config?

Settings > Maintenance > Support Info > Show System Config

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2 • UCK

If you realy want good 5G coverage you should place an AP in nearly each room and disable the 2.4G radio (set the Wlan group for it to off).

Never use high power setting, for stable connections it's better to stay at low or medium. Wifi is bidirectional, it doesn't make sense if the AP is screaming like hell but can't hear the answer of the silent client.

Solutions: 1

Will post it when I am back home...

Is there an other option than installing more UAP's, because it is impossible to pull a cable to the upper floor

Hello @Booga275,

Not really..

Floor/walls interfere with the signal, you really need more UAPs to expand the coverage.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2 • UCK
Established Member
Kudos: 185
Solutions: 53

You could put another AP on the upper floor and either mesh it (with the pros and cons of that) or use a powerline adapter to get ethernet up there.

Hello @RobbieH,

You can't use wireless uplink if the 5GHz radio doesn't reach the other UAP.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
UCK-G2 • UCK
Established Member
Kudos: 185
Solutions: 53

I realize that. But it is very possible to get an AP with a better antenna than a phone or PC might have, therefore it may be able to reach the other AP where a phone will not.